3 weeks Hysterectomy post-op progress

Posted , 5 users are following.

Today, I'm 3 weeks post-op leproscopic-robotic TH with only one ovary left. So, far my recovery has been great thank God. Was able to function without any pain meds after first week. Actually, was able to gradually walk up to 1 mile the first week. Refused to take any narcotics for pain, thus recouped OK alternating between Tyrenol and Motrin every 4-6 hrs (1st week). Every day I feel better, however somedays I due more tasks then others. Last week, 2 1/2 post-op I've started to notice dark spots and yesterday evening I notice red blood on the liner while going to the bathroom. Not a lot of blood but for the first time I needed to change 2 liners throughot the day. The bleeding occured shortly after taking a 2 miles walk at the park. Generally, I restrainede from lifting anything with the exeption of few dishes. I am able to cook lightly and my family is very supportive of me helpng around all the time. 

My question is how much "light work" around the house is too much? Or even walking? Is this bleeding 3 wks post-op OK. Nothing else hurts, and is not heavy. Tending o rest more, but certain sitting positions bother me. 

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Just do ten min walks and don't do any housework t week 4 just get your hubby to fill the kettle for one or two cups so u can use it when he at work
  • Posted

I think you are doing too much..hence the spotting.I have a huge dog and i didnt go out walking much till i was about 4 weeks post op..my op was done abdominally so i have a big scar...before i left hospital the physio ran through all the things we could and couldnt do...no hoovering no mopping no overstretching..no cleaning windows. No pushing shopping trolley or carrying bags.. she did say i could do light dusting.i think you neee to listen to your body and if you are spotting then you need to slow down...ive had no bleeding post op and i am 9 weeks now.
    • Posted

Dear Nursery.

Thank you so much. I agree. At times I problably overdid it. I will decrease the amount of walking and rest more. I need to return to work in two weeks ( 5 wk. post-op) and must be ready!!!! Did not drive yet only tried a very short distance and not quite ready yet.

• Posted

A small amount of bleeding is perfectly normal, so long as there

Are no clots, if it continues don't hesitate to go to docs for a check,

I was walking my dogs the day I got home from hospital, not miles,

I was walking them properly after about 4 weeks, I'm not one for sitting

Around and I hate people fussing around after me. You still must not

Lift anything heavy and no hoovering, I was also cooking from day one

Though mostly on the job so saucepan could be slid onto

The work surface and I bought one of those table top cookers so

Didn't have to bend down. I didn't need any pain relief ever, I was

Very lucky.

• Posted

That should read hob not job, silly predictive text.
    • Posted

This is the latest update. On Wensday afternoon I started to bleed gradually increasing from one pad to two bads an hr. So, that after my husband returned from work around 6:00pm I was in pool of blood as a result he rushed me to Duke Emergency room an hr distance from where we live. I was admited by 9:00pm after the ER drs treated me with Silver Nitrate to stop bleeding. By 3:00am while in the hospital, I got dehidrated since they prohibited me from having any liquids, and fainted due to prety significant blood lose. The next morning the doctors re-did the Silver Nitrate treatment and it was so painful that I've cried all through the process. Being so sore and weak from a night before. 5 hrs later the bleeding stopped and I felt so much better. Returned home the next day after one more night in the Hospital. I lost about 500cc (1 pint of blood) so I still feel a bit dizzy and weak, however I try to eat very healthy. THis morning I feel a bit constipated so I spotted again. Hopefully, nothing serious. The root cause of the problem was that through stiching there were blood vessels stiched so when the stiches disoleved inside the vagina cuff the they got released so that caused the bleeding. I trust in God and hope with all  my heart this procedure worked. I will be 4 weeks post-up on Monday. Also, I believe I've done excessive walking, although my dr. did not attribute the cause to be a concern. lifting, twisting, bending etc... might be the cause. I was extra careful with lifting. 
    • Posted

Crumbs that's awful, poor you, please now take things very easy, as Caroline has already said don't do any lifting or housework, have you now taken anything for the constipation? Lactulose ans senna are good if taken together (hospital advice and it works) 1 tab of the senna and recommended dose of lactulose..

Take care

Phoebe.

• Posted

Thanks Phobe. I've been taken stool softner and eating dried prunes along with prune juice. It helps. Pre-op I never had any stomach issues this became an uncomfortable feeling. This coming Thursday will have the 4 wk. post-op visit with my surgeon. I'm so reluctant to go since I don't want another pelvic exam being afraid of causing bleeding again. Today, my family was visiting from PA and my husband took care of everthing. I will take it easy...very very easy. In manufact don't think I'm ready to go back to work in a week. Will see!  
  • Posted

Sorry you had a bad time you take it easy don't lift anything or do any housework I went to doctors fri as been suffering bad on hrt side effects dizziness got to go back next week for blood test incase it's anything else
  • Posted

Hi Caroline.

Believe me my husband and my kids are very much involved now. I was the one that felt good and pushed it a bit. I overwalked, and overdid houseworking. Did not mopped, I swept twice my kitchen, I cooked a bit and rest a little throughout the day. The doctor told me the walking is not a contributor factor!!!! Makes me feel little better, however this time aroung I do take your advice seriously...10min at the time, not cooking anymore but resting a lot more. Thank you for the follw-up. 

• Posted

Hi claudiasta, hope you are improving.  Do rest as much as you need to.  Found diff docs and even diff surgeons all giving different advice.  Very confusing.  My gp has been bit useless and am considering changing to another surgery.  Looking like I need further surgery due to her 'leave it and see' approach. 😠

The hysterectomy association, a link on this page, is also a great resource fo support and advice, and i think have a list of timescales and activities for after op.  

Best wishes

k

• Posted

Hello everyone.

Hope eveyone is doing nice and danddy those days smile

I had my 4 wks check-up with my surgeon last week and it went well. She was very gentle and explained to me details of surgery. The incision is healing fine, however I had a mild UTI for which she prescribed some antibiotics. The UTI was asociated with the hospitalization precisely the catheter. 5 weeks post-op I'm feeling much better day by day. Since I've got back from the hospital rested much, and avoided any physical activity. THis week I begun driving short distances and I'm doing fine. Went shopping with my daughter yesterday at WalMart. Did not lift anything at all...Still spotting very little, however my doctor said its perfectly normal until the stiches disolve completly ( around 8 weeks). Was not able to return to work at 5 weeks, and I'm perfectly content with the idea of staying home for few more weeks until my body OKes it smile

Have a blessed day everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.