3 weeks in

Posted , 11 users are following.

I originally started on 10mg citalopram and was on that for 4 weeks then increased to 20 mg and have been on that dose for 3 weeks today. I feel absolutely terrible.... Really funny head, cant focus or concentrate properly. Havent slept good at all. I have been itching since the increase too ( which is listed as a side effect)I feel like im going mad and the anxiety is horrendous! Is this normal??? Im scared to carry on but my depression and anxiety is so bad I need medication to pull me out of this black hole but so far I just feel worse.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey there sorry to hear you are having a bad time. It will get better, I have been on anti depressants for nearly 4 years and go through stages of feeling irritable, unable to focus, hot, sweaty and unable to sleep properly. I have become a serial napper rather than a proper sleeper! 

For me all of these side effects are worth putting up with as without the medication I would probably not be here anymore. 

I find talking about my symptoms and side effects is useful. I often nap to shut out feelings and emotions and often wake up feeling slightly better.

You have only been on the medication a short time so I do think that you still are in that period of your body adjusting to them. 

This site offers me great comfort just reading and writing about it all. You are not alone, big hugs xx

• Posted

And please carry on, stick with the medication and do not just stop taking them. Follow your GP advice xx
  • Posted

I was on 10mg for two weeks then put up to 20mg for two weeks i was terrible just like you itching panicky no.sleep awful. Went back to drs who put me back down to 10mg said i was getting to much serotonin to brain. i have the odd blip but seem ti be getting better day by day. Its a long road i think. Go back to drs im sure they will sort you out. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Allison lots of good posts on here today about very similar experiences.  I t is hard at first but your not alone.   These are very common initial side effects.  It will pass so maybe keep a diary and then you can see how well you're coming on in another few weeks xxxxxx
  • Posted

Oh my goodness I thought I was reading my own post I too started on 10mg for 3 wks n now on 20mg for 4 wks I too get a wierd head n feel anxious n just can't settle sad
  • Posted

Thankyou for the reassurance guys....

Im trying so hard to persevere. It seems at this stage is where I give up because I just cant handle the increased anxiety!

Dizzydoll have you spoken to your gp..did they say it is normal?

• Posted

She said it is yeah n ppl on here say it's normal to which reassures me as they have been thru it before, can you explain the head sensations? X
    • Posted

Im not sure about the head sensations but im getting some that feel like tingling in my head...is that what you are experiencing... Im thinking maybe it is the chemicals altering in the brain??
  • Posted

in one word YES. alot of people suffer these side effects at the  beginning and when increasing their dose. I did too. I have been on them for about 3-4 years now for the second time. When i first started i feklt sick for a week or 2 and it was awful. I had to take a week off work. Anxiety can also get worse before it gets better which i have also seen a lot of people say on here... You need to ride the side effects out. It can take up to about 2 months for the tablets to be completely in your system and working, maybe longer, maybe shorter, everyones different. For me, i noticed them working in about 3 weeks. I recently increased my dose to 40mg and my anxiety increased too. I also suffered from teeth grinding at night and increased sweating. I found that i felt quite numb to everything, even positive feelings on this dose so i lowered it back to 30mg which is now perfect for me. Just stick with it alison, it will improve and will be worth it. xxx
  • Posted

Side effects are so common, and you'll probably get them all over again with dose increase unfortunately.  Stick with it though, get through this difficult period as they will subside eventually.  This medication cured my depression and anxiety - it was so worth getting through the side effects to the other side.

K x

• Posted

Thankyou to everybody who has reasured me. This site is great. Such nice reassuring people. Just what we need when going through this! :-)
  • Posted

I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU.

THERE IS NOTHING MUCH I CAN SAY AS I HAD EVERY SIDE EFFECT THAT DRUG CAN CAUSE AND FELT LIKE I MIGHT DIE EVEN. BUT EVERYONE ON THIS SITE THOUGHT I WAS JUST TRYING TO SCARE PEOPLE, SO I TRY NOT TO COMMENT.

• Posted

The side effects hit some harder than others, I also had horrendous side effects and had to come off them, clearly others have amazing help from them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.