3 weeks in cast after ankle surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi there, after landing awkwardly in a sugar beet field after a charity parachute jump, I dislocated and broke my ankle in 3 places. I am now plates, screwed and wired and in a cast .... Mostly wallowing on the sofa. I realise from reading various posts, this is going to be a long recovery. However, 3 weeks on my ankle is becoming more uncomfortable, pins and needles, the odd twinge in my shin and I am starting to fret it's not healing. I am on my 4th cast, the first was a temporary one put on by one hospital to allow me to travel home, the 3nd was more a solid dressing after surgery, the 3rd I had on for 2 weeks but became loose after the swelling went down. After 2 weeks and a wound check another tighter cast was applied. This one is now a little loose, and I am resting for much of the day, but I have jarred leg which in bed, half asleep I tried to hitch myself up into a more comfortable position using the heal of my cast. I had pins and needles which fully me and then I felt sick wondering if I'd done more damage! I keep reading various forums and then scaring myself with tales of bones not healing and additional weeks been added in the cast! I keep telling myself it's because I have too much time on my hands being on my own all day and I am desperate to go back to work. I guess what I am asking, in a rambling, round about way, are the pins and needles and twinges normal and is it likely I've done more damage? I am back for an X-ray on the 27th October and then see my consultant on the 2nd November for what I am hoping will be cast removal. (7 weeks in cast by then), by now I am feeling almost claustrophobic in the cast,I am keeping leg elevated for most of day, but am struggling at night in bed as the leg really plays up then, but I can't cope with leg elevated and the duvet!! Sorry for wittering, but whilst friends and my partner are rallying round, it's been viewed as a 'typical Sally' sort of incident (I was raising money for Road Saftry charity Brake, which has caused lots of amusment due to broken bones). I am just feeling sorry for myself... I know I am!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi sally, I am at the same stage as yourselfand going through exactly the same emotions and worries. Every day Iseem to expierance different pains and niggles which set my mind into over load!!  The one thing that really worries me is I can feel the plate on the right of my ankle more on some days than others. The plate on the inside of my foot dont seem to giveme as much conserns. I have been reading different forums for advise but no one seems to have the same question as i need answered. Does anyone else on here feel or 'think' they can feel the plate or pins. Im still in cast for another 3 weeks then hopfully into a boot? and some weight barring. At the moment though Im with you, slowly but surley crawling the walls and very very emotional. and yesfeeling very sorry for myself. ;-[[

• Posted

just noticed the date!!!!  silly me 2years late....hope all went well. biggrin

• Posted

Hi Sandra-I'm not at the same stage as you and quite honestly I am trying to figure out how to explain what happened! I fell on the 4th of May and broke Tib and Fib. I had surgery on the 8th so I am less than a week post op. All I know at the moment is that I had a plate and screws put in. I'm wearing a plaster splint/brace. I was in such excruciating pain I honestly just depended on my husband to pay attention to my meds and learn the details. I am a lot more coherent now so I'll know everything better come Monday for my first follow up.

The most annoying problem I have is the pressure in my leg. That pressure amounts to SO much pain that no pain killer touches it. Today I took zero painkillers. I am a thousand times more coherent which will help me sleep at night ----finally -----but the mental frustration from the pressure/pain weighing on my foot/calf/ankle is extremely high. I can adjust my leg and for a brief second it feels good. After that very brief second the pressure sets in and it feels like someone has taken a bicycle tire pump to my foot. Nothing but nothing relieves it.

I know I am early on but does this sound normal? No one has explained to me yet what to expect at a first post op. This splint is really making me feel claustrophobic.

• Posted

Hi Kate, you might consider starting your own discussion (using much of the above); I think that might get you more responses.

Are you keeping the leg elevated at all times?  You mention experiencing the pain as "pressure".  Can you describe this any better?  The reason I'm asking about this is I wonder if you're getting some swelling inside the plaster, which coiuld explain the feeling of pressure.

In my own case, I don't recall much pain that I would describe as feeling like a lot of pressure.  Just a lot of pain - both the unrelenting deep bone pain and all kinds of random shooting "FOOT'S ON FIRE!" stuff (I did a lot of nerve damage at the same time). 

• Posted

hi kate,i feel your fustration. Also agree that we dont get given enough information about what to expect when we leave hospital,only to keep elavated to relieve swelling. I do getinstant relief once my ley is elevated, sodont understand why your still not getting much relief when you adjust your leg. I think a call to your local fracture clinic may be the best advise, as they have to remove your cast for a new one? Seems to me  that the one you have at the moment may be too tight? We have a long road in front of us......wish you luck. let us nowhow you get on.
  • Posted

I am on third week of my broken ankle surgery. I feel a little pain at the plate fixed place during night when there is pressure on it. I am afraid there is something wrong. Whether is it possible that the screws fixed on plate get unscrew. How much more time will it take to recover so that I can walk.
  • Posted

Sally, I broke my ankle had surgery Dec 27th 6 screws and a plate ! Hard split after surgery 2 weeks then it was cast time when I went I saw cast room and had a melt down the split was bad enough I am  claustrophobic so every night it would start to feel tight and I would start to panic ! I had to take sleep aids to sleep.  I had no pain at all.  So when it was time to get the cast I pleaded with the doctor to put air cast on he agreed because it was healing so well.  It’s been 3 weeks and I still can’t put pressure on it but I go out and use a knee scooter.  This has been the hardest thing I ever had to do in my 62 years! Go back in 2 weeks hope I can start PT  Good luck 
    • Posted

Hi Dyna, I broke my ankle had plates n screws put in and now am three weeks into recovery since surgery. I've been so miserable and depressed having what I believe are panic attacks. This is by far the most painful experience and seems like I can never get comfortable with cast. I sleep two to three hours per night and I jus wish time would fly by so that I will be healed. How are you since you broke yours? I do realize for you it's been five months I'm 43 yrs old I know at my age it may take longer to recover.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.