3 weeks ORIF surgery can I rub my feet

Posted , 6 users are following.

3 weeks after having ORIF surgery on my ankle...Foot swells everyday. Was wondering if it is okay to rub my foot by the toes as it allieviates some of the pain in my foot?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

3 weeks out and you dont have a hard cast? I paid my teeage son to rub my toes with the cast on. He dis a bad job but was better then nothing. I say yes if it makes it feel better. Good luck
    • Posted

Yeah they took me out of cast and I have an air boot that I can take off and flex and point my toes and work on Range of motion
    • Posted

That is great!! Good luck on getting you back on your feet!
  • Posted

I would think so, but ask doctor anyway.  In theory it would help swelling, but you don’t want to do anything without dr permission.
  • Posted

Aaaah I called these "toe hugs" where I would ask my boyfriend to wrap his hand around my toes that would poke out from the cast. He would then massage it and "stretch" the toes by sticking his fingers in between them. Quite literally the BEST feeling because my leg/foot would get very hot in the cast. Also having to keep it elevated throughout the day meant that my lower leg wasn't getting any touching. I think you'll be fine as I'm now 7 weeks post-ORIF and nothing bad has come of it. But priority should be keeping your foot elevated and reducing the swelling.

• Posted

Are your wounds 100% healed?
    • Posted

The wounds are healed..The last steri strip is about to fall off. 
  • Posted

Then am sure it will do it good physically and help you mentally. Enjoy x
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm post ankle and other foot bones ORIF 9 weeks in cast.

In my opinion the general rule is do as much as I can handle.

Can be very annoying trying access.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.