3 weeks out from TKR... I did NOT sign up for this...

Posted , 12 users are following.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my December 17, 2018 TKR surgery. I don't have staples. I have stitches under the skin and glue holding the incision closed. I told the surgeon my biggest concerns were pain control and swelling . He didn't think it would be a problem. I was given 5mg of Norco 325. It doesn't even TOUCH the pain!!! Three days later I ended up back at the hospital and they kept me overnight and upped my Norco to 10mg! I can only take it every 6 hours.

Since the bandage has come off the swelling is worse. I am icing 4-6 times a day. It fees great while ice is on but 10 minutes after I take it off my knee and whole leg is swollen and hurting again.

My knee and leg burn, sting and itching on feet, legs, and around knee is driving me NUTZ! I not a big baby or whiner but this is wearing me down.

PT says to walk less and sit more and elevate my leg. I can't plan for anything. Using a walker and really don't need it much but can't walk far without pain. I can't straighten my knee on the bed, or bring it all the way up to my other bent knee. I am doing all the exercises they recommend but one day I might feel a tad better the next I am in agony. The first week I was in so much pain it was affecting me mentally. Never was told about the enormous bruises and pain they bring, plus the groin and back of knee

pain. I can't imagine this going on for ANOTHER 3 months let alone 3 or 6 months more. How in the world does everyone deal with all this? Are there any creams that can be used to ease pain, have heard of CBD oil but never tried it. I am retired, my poor husband is doing everything for me. Sorry if you are experiencing these symptoms as well . Thanks for listening....Eileen

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I am at 14 weeks and everything you are going through is normal. I was in tears quite often, I was on lots of pain meds i needed to keep a diary so I knew what I had taken. I went though depression for a few weeks and couldn't eat I thought I would never improve, but now I am just starting to I think I did the right thing. Lots of rest and excercise , medication and ice and try not to worry to much but that is a very hard thing to do. We are all different in healing and talking to your Dr and physiotherapist will help you as will this forum . Good luck and remember there is a light at the end of all of this.

• Posted

Early days I'm sorry to say. The first 6 weeks are hell but then things gradually improve. When your scar is no longer open and looks fine massage with Aveeno or bio oil. Behind the knee massage in voltarol it helps before bed time. The important part is rest and listen to your knee. Am now preparing for my second knee to be done so good luck patience so rest ice elevate meds. Good luck x

• Posted

Oh Ann, after knowing what you know and having all that pain you are having the 2nd knee done? I cannot IMAGINE having to go thru this again. It seems incredible to me that a Dr. could do what he did to "fix" my knee. This is 2019... haven't there been ANY improvements so this surgery is less barbaric? Less painful??? I have yet to look at a video of the surgery. But have been told if I looked at what they do to your knee I would understand why I am in so much pain. Hope your surgery goes well with minimal pain.

• Posted

I don't think I would be up for it again, a friend had both hers done at once as she was told she probably wouldn't do t again. I can understand why, and yes you would think in this day and age they would have another way of fixing our knees and not being so barbaric. I sometimes want to scream as it starts to get you down. I have good days and today is a bad

• Posted

I feel for you but there is no going back now you have to move forward.

Everyone is different and it is impossible to predict exactly what the recovery period will be like.

When I had TKR 7 years ago I could not wait to get back in the swimming pool. The consultant said I could go back when I saw him at 6 weeks post op. It is so much easier to do the exercises in water.

Things will improve hopefully but I do wish doctors and consultants were more honest from the beginning about the hard road to recovery. I was lucky mine was extremely honest with me.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

Sarah,

Thanks for your input. You are so right. No going back. I just have to accept that at the moment I am having more bad days than good. I just can't plan for anything not knowing if I will be in too much pain or have too much swelling todo what I had planned when I wake up each morning. I will adjust and get thru this. It will just take

time....

• Posted

You will deal with it and you will make progress... Keep going! It's early days! Take a look at my profile, for I wrote all about my experience! It is HARD, but there is lots of good advice and help available, both on here and through those caring for you. Follow your PT's advice and ice and elevate loads.

I am two years almost down the line. It was MORE than worth the investment of time and effort put into it because I can now walk whenever I want to....I cannot overstate how transformative this surgery is. But it's just around thirty percent the work of the surgeon (my random figure!) and the rest is up to you. You can do it, but you need to adopt a very positive state of mind to help you. I know that's hard with pain, but you can do it.

Wishing lots of goodness for your recovery and rehab!

Jenny

• Posted

Just a thought--I am not a doctor but based on my own experience (9 weeks post TKR) it sounds like you are having nerve pain and perhaps something like Neurontin/Gabapentin could help? I know it has done a lot for me at a steady dose (in addition to Norco 5/325 PRN). Best luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.