3 weeks PO MPFL Reconstruction.. need advice!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm going on week 3 out from knee surgery. I had patellofemeral ligament reconstruction. Prior to surgery I was told that total recovery time would be 3 months but that I would be back to work in 1-2 weeks. I assumed that meant I would be pretty back to normal for the most part and able to work. Well like I said before, I'm on week 3 and I still cannot walk. I'm very stiff and cannot bend my knee very much at all. I'm also still very swollen. My Doctor and Physical Therapist both say this is all normal. I'm still in pain & I am not able to return to work yet. I'm feeling very overwhelmed and depressed about all of it. I didn't have any PTO or vacation time available to take so every day I am off of work, it is without pay. I'm currently having to rely on my boyfriend and Mother to help with daily living. I am a very independent person so this is really hard for me. I continue to pray for God to give me some direction. Some words of encouragement or advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi BrittBB, sorry you're struggling so much. I had what should have been a routine meniscetomy 3 months ago and was told I'd be back to 'normal working 6-8 weeks, as it is I had several complications which mean I've had lots of physio and am still a way off being able to get back to 'normal life'. Your op was different to mine, but what I have realised is that managing expectations is one of the big issues of knee surgery. So many people are told the timeframe for normality, but that's always the best case scenario. I think surgeons should say that in real life some people get better very fast, others it can be months until fully fit. I know for me that having "a few weeks" in my head meant that once I'd passed 'a few weeks' and was still really really struggling, it made me very miserable and angry. My expectations were wrong. If the doc had said 8 weeks - 4/5 months then it would have managed my expectations better & whilst it would still be awful, it would feel more 'normal' if you know what I mean?! Myself and so many other people will know how you feel and whilst it doesn't sadly change your situation, hopefully you won't feel so alone. It will get better, but it is frustratingly slow for some of us. Make sure you try to get out as much as possible, if you've friends/family who will take you out for some fresh air, I spent too long stuck indoors which also didn't help my mood. I had some very dark days, some days just cried all on my own at home while the kids were at school & husband at work. And this was after just a few weeks, because a few days stuck indoors feels like soooo much longer when you're so used to being up and about and independent. I also worried i couldn't complain too much, as so many people have life-threatening illnesses and here I was with something that was ultimately not that! But, you ARE allowed to be angry and upset, as it's happening to you. There will always be people worse off and better off than you, but it doesn't take away the fact that you're feeling in pain and frustrated & upset. 3 weeks, in my opinion having gone through a recovery, is really really early days. My knee still has swelling 3 and a half months on. Invest in some decent gel packs that freeze & have their own elastic holder they slip into for round the knee (I got mine from Amazon) Ice packs/frozen peas don't cut it! Keep it elevated and rested as much as possible. Our ops were different but I still think if someone had said "3-4 months minimum to being relatively ok again" then I'd rather have had that timeline to work to, and then actually be really happy if it was shorter! And if you do keep feeling worried/something isn't right, fight to get back in front of your surgeon, I had to do that a few times as I just 'knew' something was wrong, and I was proved right & did end up having to go back in for a couple more procedures. I hope things improve for you, things will improve, but it really is annoyingly slow with knees!! 

• Posted

Than you so much for the insight and your encouraging words. You are absolutely right about everything! I have been getting out of the house (besides going to PT) a couple of times a week.. even if it's just my boyfriend taking me for a ride in the car. It helps to get some fresh air! I will continue to pray and try to be as positive as I can. Thank you again. Hope you are doing well & I hope you continue to recover yourself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.