3 weeks post ankle surgery, worried after falling on it!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had surgery on my right ankle, plate on right side, and screw on left side, 3 weeks ago. I went to the doctor for post op on Monday this week, and he was happy with progress, but still NO WEIGHT BARING ALLOWED!!! I started work again yesterday (Wednesday, 14.01.2015), and on the way to the loo I accidently slipped and instinctively used my broken foot as my "net" and it caught my entire body weight.

I am now worried because my ankle is very swollen now. Do you think I need to worry, and how do you know if there is serious problems after this situation, and when to get to the doctor?\

My next doc appointment is in 4 weeks, and still need to not bare weight for another 6 weeks... very worried... please help!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Kate, I would give your surgeon a ring, the medical secretary should be able to find out for you, it sounds like you may need to have another consult, at the very least, rest it, elevated with some intermitten ice.  Hopefully the screws and plates will have kept it in place, but you need to speak to him about it.

Denise

• Posted

no problem Kate, I hope you get it sorted, I have to say I was surprised you were back at work so soon.  Did your doctor give you the ok to go back to work?  Non-weightbearing is a nuisance at the best of times, but having to hop around work must have been a nightmare.

Denise

• Posted

Yes doc only booked me off for 2 weeks... It's been so tough at work and now have what feels like constant cramps on my "healthy" leg and my also on my operated sides calf muscle (cannot remember how to spell calf, carf...) hehe! You get it! But suppose it's all due to the lack of movement as I try to only move when absolutely necessary!! It is a pain! (Pun intended) biggrin
    • Posted

That's crazy Kate, you need more time to recover, I would go and see your GP and tell them what happened and ask for more time off work, but you need to speak to your consultant about your fall.

Denise

• Posted

I agree with Denise, contact your doctor right away. I did have a fall myself on the second week following my ankle replacement surgery, I called the hospital and went to see the doctor again, took fresh X-ray, fortunately everything was ok. The No Weight Bering is serius stuff for post-surgery, should go easy but follow doctors recommendation for physical therapy. I just returned from my firt PT consultation, all my foot still very stiff 17 days after procedure, but I know this is a long and slow process.

All the best on your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I suffered a similar experience last night, and am also three weeks post surgery as you were over a year ago when this happened to you. Do you remember what ended up happening beyond the initial first fall? Did your surgeon recommend any specific course of action? How long was your ankle swollen and your foot in extra pain?

Thank you so much! I'm very worried.

• Posted

I'm curious as I just did this exact thing last night. I also have been more sore and swollen since. I'm two weeks post ORIF. I have my scheduled appointment tomorrow so I'll discuss it with the dr then.

• Posted

hi hun

new here

by any chance were you ok after your fall after surgey ?

i did the same thing 4 weeks post op , with my full body weight hitting my injured foot

where i had my surgery on .

pain shot up both sides of ankle hubby caught me from fully falling down.

ankle swelled , its been a week now since

less swelling , but still uncomfortable at times .

called doc sent pictures he said its ok , if pain still persist I might have to come in for a check up.

i’m so terrified I don’t want to have another surgery or have complications healing

I’m still even walking on it four times a day with boot and crutches

I just spaced out the time is it and elevate in between

• Posted

I fell at 1 week post ORIF and hit the heel of my splint pretty good. Felt tingling and pain.

I had an xray a few days later and everything was stable.

The dr told me everyone falls but almost no one does real damage when you have fixation. It is entirely possible to delay your bone healing by dislodging the clots but that's just time.

Talk to your dr for sure but don'f lose sleep, you're probably fine.

• Posted

hi tom ,

thanks for the reply were you wearing your boot when you fell?

I did not have my boot when I fell, Aalthough the pain went away a couple days later I have a lot of discomfort on the left part of my ankle where the plate i

Although the pain went away a couple days later I have a lot of discomfort on the left part of my ankle where the plate is

today was supposed to be my four week check up since surgery but they canceled it due to the virus outbreak

My doctor is going to call me today on the phone to check up on me

• Posted

Hello Kat, I hope that you are fine. I think you should call the doctor just to be on the safe side that you didn't reinjured yourself. why did you go back to work so fast? I wanted to but my doctor denied it I been non weight bearing for 4 weeks and I'm feeling pain all around my ankle especially in the back. also the incisions are hard and it burns and hurts some days my feet will swell and my toes will go numb then a few hours later my toes are back normal and my swelling is down. I hope everything is ok and please be careful you don't want to reinjured yourself

• Posted

so what happened??

I just fell and I'm freaking out.

• Posted

how far post op are you? do you have internal fixation? cast? boot? splint?

how much pain do you have?

i was told everyone falls. i fell once at 1 week in the splint and again at 3.5 weeks in the cast. no issues with my recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.