3 weeks post ankle surgery, worried after falling on it!

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I had surgery on my right ankle, plate on right side, and screw on left side, 3 weeks ago. I went to the doctor for post op on Monday this week, and he was happy with progress, but still NO WEIGHT BARING ALLOWED!!! I started work again yesterday (Wednesday, 14.01.2015), and on the way to the loo I accidently slipped and instinctively used my broken foot as my "net" and it caught my entire body weight.

I am now worried because my ankle is very swollen now. Do you think I need to worry, and how do you know if there is serious problems after this situation, and when to get to the doctor?\

My next doc appointment is in 4 weeks, and still need to not bare weight for another 6 weeks... very worried... please help!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Kate, I would give your surgeon a ring, the medical secretary should be able to find out for you, it sounds like you may need to have another consult, at the very least, rest it, elevated with some intermitten ice.  Hopefully the screws and plates will have kept it in place, but you need to speak to him about it.

Denise

• Posted

no problem Kate, I hope you get it sorted, I have to say I was surprised you were back at work so soon.  Did your doctor give you the ok to go back to work?  Non-weightbearing is a nuisance at the best of times, but having to hop around work must have been a nightmare.

Denise

• Posted

Yes doc only booked me off for 2 weeks... It's been so tough at work and now have what feels like constant cramps on my "healthy" leg and my also on my operated sides calf muscle (cannot remember how to spell calf, carf...) hehe! You get it! But suppose it's all due to the lack of movement as I try to only move when absolutely necessary!! It is a pain! (Pun intended) biggrin
    • Posted

That's crazy Kate, you need more time to recover, I would go and see your GP and tell them what happened and ask for more time off work, but you need to speak to your consultant about your fall.

Denise

• Posted

I agree with Denise, contact your doctor right away. I did have a fall myself on the second week following my ankle replacement surgery, I called the hospital and went to see the doctor again, took fresh X-ray, fortunately everything was ok. The No Weight Bering is serius stuff for post-surgery, should go easy but follow doctors recommendation for physical therapy. I just returned from my firt PT consultation, all my foot still very stiff 17 days after procedure, but I know this is a long and slow process.

All the best on your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I suffered a similar experience last night, and am also three weeks post surgery as you were over a year ago when this happened to you. Do you remember what ended up happening beyond the initial first fall? Did your surgeon recommend any specific course of action? How long was your ankle swollen and your foot in extra pain?

Thank you so much! I'm very worried.

• Posted

I'm curious as I just did this exact thing last night. I also have been more sore and swollen since. I'm two weeks post ORIF. I have my scheduled appointment tomorrow so I'll discuss it with the dr then.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up