3 weeks post bunion op

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had my cast/bandages removed last week and had a small dressing put on. I should take that dressing off myself today and then I can get my foot wet. I'm a bit scared to be honest. Guess I still won't be able to shower as no weight can be put on the front of my foot for another 5 weeks I was told. Has anyone else also had terrible dry skin on their feet? My heels are the worst, been trying to moisturise as much as I can but it's not helping. I have such bad pain on my ankle and the outer side of the sole of my foot, I guess this is from the wedge heeled shoe. Nothing was mentioned about physio, is it essential or will I able to walk normally on my own when I'm out of this special shoe? The pain has reduced sooooo much compared to the first two weeks :-)  barely taking any tablets. Hope everyone else is making progress too! 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Glad to read you're over the worst of the pain! I managed without a shower but in desperation bought a shower stool (foot was in bandages and with pin in a toe for over 6 weeks). A bit scarey at first but just took my time.

Yes, the skin thing is all part and parcel of it! I used some gentle exfoliant stuff for feet and loads of rich moisturiser. It takes a few days or so but definitely recovers. I'm still getting some ankle pain at over 9 weeks and thought it was from heel-walking but my physio reckoned it could also be from the clamp used to keep the foot still during the op. I would most definitely recommend physio - I noticed a big difference after just one session and having followed the exercises, am really surprised at how muchmore mobile I'm getting and I've also been put right on some bad habits I was starting! Worth paying for a private session if you can manage it and if the nhs wait is long where you are. I was fortunate as the consultant automatically refers to physio and it's nhs too. Hope all goes well.

• Posted

The lack of a shower is a bit depressing. But you can manage. I was going to get a shower stool but be careful because if your shower base is not suitable for one then it can crack the tray. Took the advice of my nurse friend in that one cos my shower tray is raised and is not suitable. Doesn't mean that it will crack, of course, but didn't want to take the risk. 

My feet looked really terrible with all of the dry skin but once able to get the feet wet it got sorted fairly quickly. Perhaps you could soak feet in warm water and then moisturise. Helps you to feel better. 

I have also got quite a bit of pain on the outside of one of my feet and in that ankle. I assumed that it was to do with he way that J am walking as it seems to have become worse over the last week or so (almost 10 weeks post surgery). Mind you, I am walking around more and doing so more quickly.

Good luck with the skin issue. It will be interesting to hear what your consultant says about the pain in your ankle and outer foot

• Posted

Sorry, I was going to ask what exercises that you were given. I have been to physio and advised to do calf stretches, manual manipulation of the big toe joint and wiggling of toes. However, this doesn't seem that much and I really want to skip as much as I can to help recover as much mobility as possible 
  • Posted

Hi Rodog

I had some surgery a couple of years ago and on the follow up the surgeon suggested using Bio Oil.  I've been using it this time too as it is fantastic for dry skin (mine was terrible this time) and it helps with the scar too.  You don't use it though on the actual wound until it has closed over properly.

I also obtained a LimbO which I was able to use in the shower after two weeks and it kept my foot completely dry.  They are cheaper if you buy them from the company rather than through somewhere like Amazon.

I had scarf/akin 10 weeks ago and was in the horrendous black shoe contraption for 6 weeks.  I have found that it has really affected my calf and thigh muscle which is sore first thing in the morning still until the muscles loosen up a little.  

Also the surgeon on the follow up visit said I probably would get lots of different pains in my foot/leg as I would now be walking differently than I was before and not to worry about it.  I had a lot of pain on the outside of my foot for a couple of days, then the pain moved to my ankle and just now it's over the bottom of my toes.  Wasn't given any advice about exercise or anything so have found some I think are helpful on the Internet and they seem to be helping.  Not yet using my big toe properly to walk yet but definitely using it more as time goes by.

I hope all goes well with your recovery.

• Posted

When I had my casts removed at 6 weeks I thought the whitness was

from the cast but it was dry skin, I got hubby to rub bio oil into them for

a few days but it made no difference. I used my micro pedi on the

underneath where the skin was at its worst it was like a snow storm so

much skin came off, my feet felt so much better though. I've soaked

them in warm water adding some epsom salts every night since and

have rubbed in almond oil too which I've added some ppeppermint oil to

It realy has made a difference.

• Posted

Hi rob dog, 

I found that soaking my feet in warm sea salt water for the first few weeks really helped.  Once dry I used to massage them with olive oil everywhere. Made a lot of difference😊

• Posted

Thanks I'll try it tonight :-) it's a cheaper option too! Hopefully I get nice feet products for Christmas
    • Posted

I just used salt and warm water too and the. E45 lotion which is cheap and has nothing in it to sues any issue with 'scabby bits'. Was just saying to my husband this afternoon how I have hardly any hard skin or dry bits left. Can't remember the last time that I had so little hard skin! 
  • Posted

Hi robdog,

the physio made a massive difference. I would say it is essential for getting things back on track. I am now 4 month post op and still have swollen foot with aches and pins and needle type of feeling. Hoping my newly found patience pays off.

• Posted

Wondering what exercises that you were given by the physio? 
  • Posted

Yes my skin was very dry had to get cream from doctor it is getting better but it is still painful some days 
  • Posted

Hi I no your post is kind of old haha!

Hope you are all recovered now 😊

Am just curious about having blisters?

I had bunionectomy & scarf akin release! I am 3wks post op & noticed the last 6days I've come out in small like water blisters but there not painful! Am currently waiting to get an appointment at doctors!! Do you no anything about having blisters after this surgery?? Am worried! 😩

• Posted

Hi Claire....

Do you have Facebook?

There is a group called "I survived a bunionectomy"...private

group.... so you'll have to request to join, but it's full off fab

advise and I found it so helpful.

• Posted

I've asked to join! Thanks!

Have you ever experienced blisters?

I have a few blisters on my toes, a little irritating to be honest! Just waiting for doctors to call me back!

• Posted

I did have a number of very small blisters come up along my

scar line.... They didn't cause me any problems tthough.

Hopefully it won't be long before you're request is accepted.

• Posted

Oh did doctors tell you what the blisters was from? Mine are on the sole of my foot like we're the bunion was on the ball of my foot, and also the blisters are on my toes like bottom of toes though! Am so confused!

The page has accepted me and I've put pics on and a video of my movement of big toe

• Posted

I didn't ask as what caused them as i just assumed they were

from all the prodding and poking during the op...

Your foot can take take quite a battering during this op.

Good that you are now a member of the Facebook group...I find

the ease of uploading pictures and seeing what other people's

feet look like a big help....sounds weird I know but a visual image is so much easier to deal with....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.