3 weeks post gall bladder surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am not starting in on my third week.

I have noticed slight nausea on some days and on other days, stomach and esophagus pains. I've never had either pre-surgery.

I'm not sure if the pains are from gas or acid reflux or what, but it's somewhat unsettling.

I wish both would go away.

I also get bloated and have stomach aches from the bloating.

Has anyone else experienced these or similar? If so, what did you do for it and did it eventually get better?

I am still eating low fat and am worried how my stomach is going to deal with trying out higher fat foods if I am still having these issues from things such as rice or plain potato's.

Head is worrying about if this is all surgery related or something worse.

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to reply.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

typo....I am NOW starting my third week.
  • Posted

Oh bless you, try not to worry. I went back to see my surgeon 3 weeks after surgery and he advised me it was still very early days. Apparantly (i am not a medic) your bile is constantly dribbling into your stomach after the gallbladder being removed, whereas before it was fed in as necessary, therefore your digestive system takes a while to settle.

Don't despair, I ended up on Lansoprozole for a few weeks which has helped. If in doubt go and talk to your GP about any fears. Very very best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you, Joanna. You posts are always so helpful and so appreciated.

I know, you're right, things take time. It's just so difficult to know what's normal and what's not.

I did see a doctor the other day and he didn't say a whole lot other than to give things time.

So that's what I shall do.

Bit frustrating given that I didn't expect these symptoms and no one advised me that they could occur.

But luckily this forum has had so many kind people who have given me a lot of reassurance.

It really does help. x

• Posted

Hi there

I agree, the staff were lovely at the Hospital where I had my GB removed, they gave me tons of advice about wound management, booking to have stitches out etc but very little other info. Like you I have learnt most post op info from this forum.

Hang in there and keep trying other very low fat options, I know other folks will give you help on here.

Very best wishes, healing love and thoughts.

Jo

• Posted

What you describe is pretty common I think. It just take time- probably months rather than weeks, despite what the docs say. Stick to you low fat diet for now. When you feel up to it gradually reintroduce fats in small amounts. 18 months on I can eat most things in moderation. Try eating small light meals four or five times a day instead of three larger meals. 
    • Posted

Thank you. Today I had pain so bad that it went from my stomach to sternum and was really worried. It seemed to last hours and I don't know how typical that is.

I appreciate the honesty though, the doctors told me nothing of what to expect.

• Posted

Sometimes my attacks lasted 2-3 days. Have you been told when your surgery will be?
    • Posted

?? I've had the surgery. These are the pains I am now having 3 weeks after the surgery which is why I am posting. I don't know if it's normal or not to be having this kind of pain once the gallbladder is out. I expected stomach pains now and again, but I had stabbing pain in my stomach that went all the way up my esophagus.

It worried me.

I am unsure if anyone else has experienced that which is why I posted.

I have had nausea on and off but that seems to be the norm for most.

• Posted

I don't have pain, but I get annoying "feelings" in my abdomen, I am assuming it is just my body readjusting to the disturbance of the removal of my gallbladder.

I belong to a really good support group on facebook, The Gallbladder & Gallstone Support Group. Check it out, you will find it very informative and supportive.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gallbladderguru/permalink/246333726068107/?comment_id=246376112730535&notif_id=15357191

Well Wishes.

• Posted

Thank you so much! The pains have gotten better thanks to digestive enzymes. I wasn't sure about them but I finally gave in and tried them and so far, so good!

I really do appreciate the link. Once again, thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.