3 weeks post left thumb arthrodesis (fusion) with pinning =left first CMC trapeziectomy ligament tx

Posted , 2 users are following.

Im 3 weeks out from having L thumb arthrodesis with a pin going thru my thumb to help the joints fuse, then I suffered from aftermath of torn ulnar collateral ligament for years, with severe first CMC arthritis, they also did a  Trapeziectomy with abductor pollicis ??? Ligament transfer.  First 10 days I was in a huge dressing up to my elbows.  10 day appointment surgeon took x-rays and said everything looked good.  Weird to see that Pin running down the center of my thumb joints and the little empty place where the trapezium used to be.  I think Postop he said he also put some kind of implant in there.  aAt the Post op appt. he also explained that he  took re:  the Basal joint arhritis, 1st CMC arthroplasty, trapeziectomy and ligament work with abductor ... Ligament that he used that ligament and kind of went back and forth with it to build a sling to work to stabilize the thumb to the hand.  

I'm in a hard cast which comes off on 6/18.  Last visit he said I can drive but I find I can only drive say 1 trip or errand ... (learned the first time driving after I went to 3 places on an errand and had a lot of pain).  I know PT will start after they remove this 2nd hard cast and full recovery may take months.   What I am surprised by is the level of pain in my wrist thumb and hand area, especially if I do a lot, even if it's primarily with the other hand.  

Did anyone else have nthese 2 procedures. Thumb arthrodesis (pinning of thumb to fuse the joints)  and First CMC arthroplasty with trapeziectomy and ligament ... abductor pollicis somenthing or order interpositiion (like a sling)? ... Sorry the actual medical terms are on documents I filed away and I'm too tired right now to go find lol.

I would love to hear of others who have had both procedures.  

Thanks - KarlenZ

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I only had the cmc with tendon reposition. I had it on May 4.  I was in a cast like thing for 11 days and then a personalized plastic immobilizing brace for 4 weeks.  After that I started OT.  First 4 weeks was nothing but massaging area and stretching exercise. The past 2 weeks we started strengthening.  I am still in a ton of pain especially the forearm area where the tendon was harvested. I know I’m getting stronger; however, I still have pain no matter what I try to do-using girl, trying to cut, washing hair, etc etc. Have to use left hand for most tasks.  In fact, I’m having joint pains in my thumb and other fingers that I never had before.  Even though my dr said it would be 6-12 months, I’m Feeling discouraged. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.