3 weeks post op and still in pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I am 3 weeks post op and am still in pain. I had a severe bunion and my foot was also fractured. The bunion was removed and 2 screws and a clamp was placed in my foot. I was told that it is healing well, but it is very painful. My Dr has told me to put weight on it as tolerated and I can't do it. My big toe is stiff and tender. Is this normal? How long before the pain gets better?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had a big toe fusion with 2 screws in and I was not allowed to put weight on it only the heel for 6 weeks and yes big toe will feel strange it is normal
  • Posted

Hi, all very well what your Doc is saying, having had the Scarf Osteotomy is quite a severe procedure. The stiffness will go eventually, but that can take quite a long time. A bit of pain would be to be expected after that sort of operation, but not that much. Maybe you should carry on taking Ibuprofen und cool your feet. Unfortunately a lot of surgeon do not tell you, that any operation on your feet will have an impact on your everyday live for quite a while. Good luck with the recovery
  • Posted

hi wendy i had the same op 6 weeks ago,never had a clamp tho,i been trying to keep active and rest when i can,i am already in trainers and going back to work next mon be 7 weeks after my op i feel i have been very lucky.my foot does go numb from time to time,get your foot massaged twice a day keep trying to move your foot when you can.
  • Posted

Hi Wendy

Yes this is "normal" I'm 6 weeks and pain is getting easier, I have a pin in my first toe..keep trying a few examples training steps each day and keep taking the pain relief

• Posted

Hi thanks everyone for your comments. All were helpful. I feel like my Dr did not inform me very well as to the extent of pain and recovery time. I was afraid I had done something to my foot because I was told I would be able to walk by 5 weeks. I have also been told the pain should not be that bad at this time. I keep working it and doing as much as I can. I think I am just trying to rush my recovery because I start back to school Aug 15 and have to be able to get around campus.
    • Posted

Hi 

just make sure you rest plenty with your feet up and I am sure all will be well

• Posted

Hi Wendy....

3 weeks is still very early days.... I was still elevating for

much of the day... I noticed that the discomfort when just

sitting...or laying down got better at 5 weeks.

After my 6 week check I was told to start walking at my own

pace using crutches.... still elevated during the day....still got

swelling and aching if I'd over done things.

Now I'm 10 weeks and have last week started getting out and about upping the walking using 1 crutch for support...Today I

went without the crutch as I think its making me walk stooped.

My foot still aches most evenings and lately I've taken

ibuprofen an hour before bed as I've been kept awake by the

throbbing...I've a check up due in 2 weeks but my Surgeon

has told me it can take up to a year for things to return to

normal.... Although I think I've forgotten what normal is...

defiantly think I need "walking" lessons.

• Posted

Sorry should add that at 5 weeks I still got blood rush feelings

and my leg went purple when standing for even short

periods of time..... all seemingly normal.

• Posted

hi Wendy

I am 7 weeks post op and feel I am doing well but I still rest with my feet up most of the afternoon and all evening

i think the resting with feet up is very important to do at this stage

3 weeks is nothing I was not walking very much at this stage at all only really started walking more after 5 weeks

• Posted

I'm 6 weeks postop and still in pain too. My surgeon didn't explain anything to me and did not warn me of the slow recovery process. On the last visit, he told me I could begin walking on my foot and not just the heel, but it's way too painful, so I'm still limping on my heel and using the knee caddy. My physical therapist friend told me it would probably be a year before my foot is back to normal (if ever). I think the good surgeons with many years of experience will explain the surgery and the recovery and what to do and not to do. My surgeon was, and is, horrible. He likes to cut, period -- then you're totally on your own.

• Posted

You big toe will be stiff and tender for quite some time. My surgery was done almost 13 weeks ago and it is still stiff and tender. 
  • Posted

Hello Wendy,

I can tell you from my experience it takes 3 months to feel a little better. And my doctor told me it takes atleast 6 months for the swelling to go down.

My doctor said NOT to put weight on the foot for 8 weeks. The pain does last a while. My pain was the worst during the first 3 months. Now I am in my 14th week and the upper part of the foot and the toes still get numb. I think this will take a while longer. I still have some shooting pain from time to time. somehow you learn to live with it. I am told there is a light at the end.

Charlotte

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.