3 weeks post op-help

Posted , 13 users are following.

I feel really depressed and fed up. I am in great pain most of the time and not sure what to do.i am doing all my excercises and trying hard but not getting anywhere.knee not straightening and very painful. Any advise? xx

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

3 weeks is probably the worst andit will get better.....breakthroughs at 5 to 6 weeks and then 11 to 12 weeks. Don't push yourself too hard now, it will get easier, and take regular painkillers.

good luck.

• Posted

Hang in there!  That is a difficult and painful time (or was for me) in the recovery process.  They kept telling me to stay ahead of the pain so try to anticipate the most painful times and medicate accordingly.  Easier said then done I know.  Best of luck!
  • Posted

Hi Sue - just hang on in there! And like the others are saying take your painkillers regularly, ice, rest and elevate (if your leg is higher than your heart - advice from surgeon - it helps more with the swelling)  and do what feels possible with your excercises without worrying about it - slow but sure will get you there in the end! I had a new hip nearly 2 years ago and it was a complete doddle compared with my TKR - which has been a complete shock to my entire system. Like you i was in constant pain, really tearful, pessimistic and feeling really hopeless at times for what seemed an eternity.  But now at nearly 9 weeks things really are improving - loads less pain, sleeping more (strategically placed pillows help a lot!) and my emotions are getting more stable again. And today i managed about 1 km walk!! A week ago this would have seemed impossible.Still some way to go with the stiffness and clunking but that won't kill me!!.So please don't lose heart, things will change, thank heavens for change, and spring's coming (here in UK at least) so it's a good time for new beginnings.

All the best to you - Tess x

• Posted

Its so hard to preach patience to someone going through the phase that you now find yourself. Today I returned to a rehab unit after having my knee removed. I will be going through a certain amount of rehab then in 90 days, will have to go back and have the 3rd prosthesis installed then start all over

The part of this that you and most others aren't talked to about is the mental side. People who do the surgeries, print manuals aren't the ones going through it. Be sure and rest....good rest

Forcing yourself beyond limits set by someone else is voodoo medicine that will have poor results

Pain meds, excercise up to but not into pain, hydration and rest

Stay with it...the mental aspects are e very much as difficult as the physical. Nearly everyone hits that wall and climbs over some, the very few, are able to walk around.

• Posted

Hope things work out better for you this time ofg, you certainly have been through it.  Long  time to go for you unfortunately. I wish you so much luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.