3 weeks post op pain getting worse

Posted , 8 users are following.

i had my gallbladder removed almost 3 weeks ago.  The first week or so went pretty well.  The past few days I’ve been in a lot of pain.  My GI said Im still internally swollen.  I have horrible pain in my rib cage, Epigastric area and where GB was.  I feel I should be getting better not worse.  I’m very scared.  Anyone been through this scenario?  

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

A lot of people, including me, went through very similar symptoms that you're experiencing.  I couldn't  lie on my right side for months and months, and I would also get stitch like feelings.   I went back to my GP because of the pain and she sent me for another scan.  the lady who gave me this scan said you wouldn't believe the number of people who suffer these types of symptoms after GB removal and come for a further scan.   The scan showed nothing at all.   I had my GB removed in April 2015 .... I now am left with diarhhoea issues which I take medication for.  Obviously diet is very important avoiding fatty foods.  In the early early months I would sometimes wonder if it was all worth it.  However, I have to say it was worth it; towards the end, before my GB was removed,  the attacks were so painful ..... 10 times worse than giving birth in fact.   I would advise that you are gentle with yourself, don't eat fatty foods and drink plenty of water.  

Sending you very best wishes.

• Posted

This might be a shot in the dark; but I'm 3.5 weeks post-surgery and know for sure that I'm now lactose intolerant. If I come anywhere near dairy, I'll have a bad time for a couple of days.

If you're up for it, see if you can cut out dairy for a week or so. It might be what's causing your continued discomfort?

Best of luck!

• Posted

Sorry, my comment was directed at Moonday.

In your case, I'm 3.5 weeks post-op and definitely still have some pain. I feel a lot of the internal swelling coming down, so maybe that's part of it. I made the mistake of over-exerting myself this week, as I felt like I had reached a healthy enough state, so that did it for me. I'm reading that the recovery takes a good 6 weeks; before you feel closer to your old self. If serious, it might be worth reaching out to your surgeon. Mine is just general discomfort.

All the best!

• Posted

thank you Paul ..... I will certainly try this.  
  • Posted

we are all different we have had major surgery,it takes time to heal,some quicker than others,you must take it easy,forget excercises ,no lifting,bending,we have been prodded and probed with surgical instrument, your bruising is now showing,, drink plenty of water, but you must rest,or you will damage yourself internally,      
  • Posted

I’m 10 days pist op but have all the symptoms you do, I went back to surgeon this past Monday. He said oh your doing good for 5 days out. I didn’t feel like I looked obviously because I felt horrible. I think my bellybutton incision is infected he called me in a round of antibiotics to start. But I just wanna feel ok enough to get out and not be exhausted from a trip to the store and find food that will stay in besides red jello, crackers and grits!! Hope we both get relief soon!! 
  • Posted

Hi I’ve recently had the same surgery.. give it a bit more time as 3 weeks isn’t long. I started to feel much better by week 5 and back to normal now. I was worried that I wasn’t getting better quick enough too x
    • Posted

I will try to be patient, I just thought I’d see a positive trend by now.  Xo
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having problems. I hope you feel better soon. I have followed the doctor's instructions. The first week I was pretty sore. It's very important to wear loose clothing so that nothing rubs against your incisions. During showers I get the cloth soapy and squeeze it over the incisions rather that rubbing them to wash myself. I did have discomfort in my right side. After having bowel movements the pain goes away. I can't tolerate fried foods and pizza right now. Each day for me is getting better (I had gallbladder surgery on April 16, 2018).

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having problems. I hope you feel better soon. I have followed the doctor's instructions. The first week I was pretty sore. It's very important to wear loose clothing so that nothing rubs against your incisions. During showers I get the cloth soapy and squeeze it over the incisions rather that rubbing them to wash myself. I did have discomfort in my right side. After having bowel movements the pain goes away. I can't tolerate fried foods and pizza right now. Each day for me is getting better (I had gallbladder surgery on April 16, 2018).

• Posted

If your GI has said this is normal than please try not to worry.  Please remember that although you've had keyhole surgery (I'm guessing) you have had a major operation and an organ removed.  It will take time and you will be healing inside.  It will take a good few months for you to adjust and feel fully better.  I know it's annoying, as you just want to be well.  Take it easy and be kind to yourself. 

• Posted

Thank you!  I just did not think I would have this much pain at 3.5 weeks post op.  It’s scary!
  • Posted

it takes time,major surgery has been carried out, lots water,forget exercises ,take it easy ,we have been prodded and probed with surgical tools, you will have internal bruising, mine was over 12 months ago, still not right, but i was in agony and glad when gb was removed,i couldnt even walk,;;; hope goes well, but you must take it easy,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.