3 weeks post op TKR - calf pain - is heat ok?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm just 3 weeks post surgery for a TKR and my calf is constantly aching - I've been told ice is what should always be used, but I feel this pain needs warmth ... can anyone tell me if it would be ok to pop a heat pack on my calf? TIA smile

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

My therapist says never, never use heat. Its what it does to the early healing process, blood pooling and tissue damage. I agree, it sounds good but it like putting a pillow under your knee and letting your leg hang over, it is not good for the positive outcome.
    • Posted

sad  .. yep I'd heard the same, no heat. I was just hoping that because it was the calf, and not the actual knee, that it might be ok sad Thanks for your input smile

• Posted

A week from tomorrow I get my 3rd knee installed. It will be the 5th complete rehab and 11th surgery on the leg. Some things in the process are the same and others di#er from time to time but ice only is the one constant.
  • Posted

If your calf is aching and especially if you have ankle puffiness see your Doc. Deep vien thromboses are possible from any leg surgery. A friend of mine had the same pain and had a dvt.

PS.  heat or cold I don't know but no massage he was told.

• Posted

Thanks FS, I've been cleared of DVT - had a special sort of ultrasound last week, so hoping that's still the case ... no massage either, huh? Damn, more meds then - hate feeling like a zombie sad

• Posted

I wonder if you could use a deep muscle rub cream. I used one on the underside of my knee, because I was in tears from how tight and painful it was. I did do some light massaging, but nothing much.
    • Posted

Hi Moandrieu

I hadn't thought of that, dah! Silly me!

I'll try it now!

Thanks for that, and yep, I sure do understand the tears over the tightness and pan ...

Cheers,

Lindy from Oz

TKR - 27.5.15

• Posted

I have just read all of the comments below, I was told I could use heat behind the knee. I often have a heat pack under and ice on top. I would therefore assume that for calf muscle pain you could use some heat. I would check with your surgeon or physio.
    • Posted

Thanks Carol,

I'll try that ... I can't imagine it'll do too much harm wink

Cheers,

Lindy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.