3 weeks post PKR and still in pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

It's been over 3 weeks since my PKR and I am trying to be patient but I am still experiencing quite a bit of pain around the knee and behind it. I am still taking strong pain relief and wonder if this is normal. I maybe am expecting too much too soon but I had heard of people having almost instant relief from pain and being able to walk without a cane after 2 weeks.. I can do this around the house, but need one stick outside. will this settle or is this a sign that the surgery hasn't been successful.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there you will have pain for quite sometime, do your exercises these are very important. i had a pkr 2016 just had a full one on my other in June this year. Keep taking the meds .You will get there. Keep your chin up. xx

• Posted

It all sounds pretty normal to me. I only had strong painkillers for a week, but then they don't agree with me. I found the best option was 2 x 500 mg of paracetemol/tylenol every 6 hours helped keep the pain to a reasonable level. At nearly 7 months I get some pain still and am still having physio for issues with the soft tissue around the knee. The joint itself is fine, but the surrounding tissues suffer a lot of trauma. You will have 5 or 6 layers of sutures in the different layers under the skin and they take time to heal. It's not a quick fix.

Use your cane as long as you need it. From recollection I stopped using one indoors around the 2-3 week mark, but carried on using one outside for at least 6 weeks. I was advised to use it until I could walk without a limp and felt confident and also to take it on public transport to make others aware that I needed a seat. My surgeon also,told me to expect pain for some time, to,be walking unaided around 6 weeks, getting back to normal activities around 3 months, but it would be a year for a full recovery. So far I would say he is spot on.

• Posted

thank you. I will keep doing the exercises and hopefully things will settle in the coming weeks and months.

• Posted

Hello Theresa

Mine was a TKR not a partial, so not quite the same but I am still using crutches when outside at nearly 6 weeks and still in enough pain to warrant medication.

Each week I can see an some improvement though and everyone is different but hang in there. If in doubt speak to your physio or call the consultants office.

Hope you feel better soon

carol

• Posted

had my first tkr oct of last year just had my second one 11 days ago. what youre going through is quite normal!! everytime you do something different you will have pain behind it but just keep in mind itd part of the process it gets much much better i try to laugh with the pain today its a happy giggle and smile because i know the results!! its like labor pain the end is beautiful!!!! good luck

• Posted

Hello, I am 3wks post bilateral tkrs. I stopped using the prescribed pain meds except for 1 at bedtime. I use motrin during the day. Remember everyone is different in their recovery and pain levels. You need to do your PT; ice/heat as needed and patience. Its too soon to judge success of surgery. Be thankful for small milestones, and voice concerns with your surgeon during appts. Good luck!

• Posted

It's way to soon for total recovery!! be patient and keep ahead of your pain! it's normal and recovery is months..at least on a total knee, I would think a partial knee wouldn't be much different.

stay strong, thank god for this group, it helps to have other views.

Denise

• Posted

Hi patience is the name of the game. I don't know of anyone who has instant relief. Vive had my second 4 months ago and must admit easier than my first But was prepared this time for what actual happens afterwards. Please don't expect a miracle overnight there will be good and bad days both mine have been tkr and you have to crawl before you walk it will get easier but be patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.