3 weeks post simple fibula fracture at ankle

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 3 weeks out from a simple fibula fracture at my right ankle. I'm NWB at this point. I go back to ortho Monday for follow up xrays. My question is how long will this pain last? I try hard not to take my pain meds to much, but sometimes the pain will just be to great and I give in. When will the pain start easing up?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Pain is ongoing. It will get easier. I'm now in shoes after 9weeks pot and 4weeks walking boot. If anything more painful now.

• Posted

My son had a fibula fracture in the same place as you.  His was about 2 months ago.  He did not talk of having much pain and didn't have any meds.  He was also in a NWB cast for 4 weeks.  He kept his foot elevated as much as possible but did manage to get around quickly on his crutches.  I wonder if your cast is too tight.  I'm glad you will see your doctor shortly for guidance.  My son went into a walking boot after the cast was removed.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! I'm in a boot, not a cast. I went back to Dr today for follow up xrays. 4 weeks out and I'm still not healed and fibula is a few mm more displaced, but surgeon feels the placement is still acceptable. Repeat xrays in 3 weeks.

• Posted

That is disappointing news for you.  I assumed that you were in a cast because you were  NWB.  (and my son was in a cast)  Did the doctor suggest anything different for your pain?  When you say that you are not healed it is too soon to be healed but you should be able to see a haze between the break on your xrays.  When I broke my foot I had the orthopedist show me the changes in the xrays from visit to visit.    He said that haze, at 4 weeks, was the bone building material brought to the break by the blood supply.  Are you still NWB?  And is your boot toes to knee?  Do you wear the boot 24/7?  When I got my cast off I had to wear my boot 24/7 because my ortho didn't want me to even think about putting weight on my foot without that support.  I recall my son telling me that to help with healing he ate extra protein and calcium.  I had extra calcium too - ice cream. haha.  Let us know how things go in 3 weeks.  Best of luck.

• Posted

Dr showed me the xrays and there is no haze. There was nothing except a few mm more displacement. I'm in my boot 24/7 and it is toes to knee. I only have it off if I'm showering in shower chair. I feel way to unstable to ever have it off. Still non weight bearing. I have been able to ween myself down to just Tylenol for pain. I don't have alot of pain as long as I don't move much and can elevate it. I'm starting to worry we are looking at a possible non union. Guess we will know in 3 weeks!

• Posted

It sounds like you are doing everything right.  Even though it doesn't change the outcome I worried every step of the way with my broken foot.  How old are you?  My orthopedist made me think that the younger you are the quicker you heal.  I guess it was when he said that I wasn't 20 any more.  Good that your pain has lessened to a degree.  Had you broken any bones in the past and if so how was your healing then?  I hope all goes well at your next visit.  

• Posted

I'm 39. So maybe age is playing a part lol This is my first broken bone ever so I guess maybe that's why I'm a little more worried. I'm not sure how this goes lol Thank you for the kind words!

• Posted

I know how you feel.  It was also my first broken bone and I was worried because rather than 39 I was 68, that is, "not 20 anymore".  I truely think we all heal at different rates based on nothing in particular.  I remember the doc telling me all the things that could happen including a need for surgery.  I wanted to have the surgery right away rather than going through all those steps that may not work especially because, although I was older and physically healthy and fit, I didn't feel "lucky".  Well that didn't happen and so, as with you, I did everything I was told to do and to avoid.  I guess I was lucky because everything worked out for me and it will for you too.  You may have to go through more steps and have a longer recovery time but I can tell you that when you look back after two years, everything is a distant memory.  The recovery time that seemed endless as it was happening, now seems like a minor blip.  I also had/have a good husband, son, and friends that all were a real help.  You seem to have a good sense of humor and that goes a long way.  Let us all know how things look in 3 weeks.  Good luck!!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.