3 weeks post surgery, all good except Hematoma experience

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just saw my urologist for my 3 week post surgery check up and everything looks good. My stitches are almost all dissolved and the incision is healing nicely. Pain is minimal and I am back to normal activities except no heavy lifting or exercise. Only concern was a hematoma that showed up on day 8 post surgery. I was changing my dressing in the morning and noticed blood dripping from the lower stitches. I quickly replaced the dressing and went about my day. That night before bed I checked the dressing again and blood started pouring out of the lower stiches. It would not stop so I went to the emergency room and they put on a blood clotting dressing and tapped it shut. They did an ultrasound and determined it was just a hematoma that was bleeding and filled up my scrotum (which can hold a lot of blood). The next week I continued to bleed a lot daily (I used male incontinence pads to keep it from leaking and would stand in shower to let my scrotum drain in the morning and before bed). The hematoma was scary at first because I didn't know what was happening. But once I knew about it, it was more of a hassle than anything else. This past week the fluid changed slowly from mostly blood to mostly yellowish. Then for the first time it stopped leaking completely yesterday. My urologist said it could start draining again but should be OK. So far, very happy with the results of surgery and definitely would do it again.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Did your surgeon leave a draining tube? I just got my surgery and my surgeon left in a tube to drain blood from the scrotum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.