3 weeks post surgery out of the blue crying??

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 3 weeks post surgery, 1 plate and 8 screws, both tib and fib broken and ankle dislocated.  

Just relaxing in a hammock on the first crisp fall day and WHAM, the bolt comes out of the tree and the hammock falls.  I am still in total disbelief.  Anyhoo, my stiches were taken out 1 week ago and I was moved from a splint to an air cast with no weight bearing.  It is great to be able to shower and see my ankle.

Here's my questions.... am I just a big baby?  I get so sad and overwhelmed by my situation and how every single day brings new pain and new challenges.  My family is amazing and they have been sacrificing so much to care for me, I feel so guilty.  

Second question, did you experience an intense tingling ( think foot in ice water feeling)? Even the bed sheets are painful.  

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Pamela. I am just about seven weeks post surgery and I can tell you that the tears are all very normal. I have some days where I cried a few times. Other days where there was nothing. I feel still like it is all quite easy for me to cry. I still feel a bit fragile. I think the really big part of it is how completely this type of thing changes your reality. Non-weight bearing was the hardest part for me. And having to depend on other people to do things for you is really hard. I think as well I realised that although it was only going to be a short period of time in the greater scheme of things, it seems like forever at the time. I know for me too that if I cry it always makes me feel way better. If I don't cry then it can make me feel sad for days. That's never good.

Regarding the feelings of intense tingling I have felt all manner of things during this process. I was lucky and had nerve blocking when they did my operation so had very odd feelings for about a week afterwards. Since then I have beeen really lucky and haven't really had any problems. But I have read of people having pins and needles for quite a while afterwards.

Good luck and be kind to yourself! It will take time to get well again so take it easy and try and enjoy all the looking after!

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

Wrll the hammock business was dreadful.

I get such a tickle from children...their dad is the best, their mom is the strongest! That deserves a hugh hug.

I always chuckle when someone says "I couldn't do it" as if I chose to do it...

I so agree, hardship make it so much easier to count all of the blessings the good Lord has given to us.

When I was born, none of this way possible.

hugs

judith

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

Wrll the hammock business was dreadful.

I get such a tickle from children...their dad is the best, their mom is the strongest! That deserves a hugh hug.

I always chuckle when someone says "I couldn't do it" as if I chose to do it...

I so agree, hardship make it so much easier to count all of the blessings the good Lord has given to us.

When I was born, none of this way possible.

hugs

judith

• Posted

Yes to pain, and tingling. Any bump or swinging my ankle too fast; the wrong way, hurt the first two months. I have the same injury you have, exact. For me it's been five months, still non weight bearing.

• Posted

I am just over 1 week post surgery, 1 plate and many screws, both tib and fit broken.  I missed the last step of our deck, in the dark and fell.  I was in a splint for a week and now have a cast for 5 weeks and no weight bearing.  I have caught myself feeling sorry for myself a few times and I really just think of my friends that are battling cancer.  They have so much more to handle than me trying to get to the bathroom. 

I am trying very hard to keep it all in prospective.  Less than 5 weeks and I should have the cast removed to be in a boot.  We had to cancel a Mexican vacation, but my goal is to be ready for a vacation the first of the year.  Be positive.   We can get through this.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.