3 weeks post TKR.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm not dealing with the pain of physical therapy very well. My knee still won't bend and is very tight and painful. I'm very depressed and emotional. No one understands my pain tolerance level. Any one have words of encouragement. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Are you in UK?

What pain medications are you on?

Swelling does prohibit flexion a lot ...Are you resting, icing and elevating your leg (4 or 5 or more! times a day is good)

Overdoing things can make pain worse...is it possible you are doing too much...how much are you on your feet in the day?

Things will get easier, still very early days, tiredness also affects mood a lot. Read around the forum and realise you are not alone.

See GP and make sure your pain is better managed...It must be possible to ramp it up a bit on the medication front surely? If not, what reason not?

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I'm not in UK. I live in the United States. I was trying to ween off the pain meds cause they are opioids but maybe I need to stay on them. I was givin 3 different pain meds. Hydrocodone seems to work but during PT there is no relief. I'm retired so not standing to much or doing to much and my house shows it.  I think I'm listening to much to others whom came out of this like a breeze. My low pain tolerance level is a huge factor. I'm doing therapy everyday now. Gonna see doc again October 12th. My bend is only at 102 on my own and 110 with PT help. I HATE ALL THIS PAIN. My home exercises are very painful also but I know I'm not pushing to the limit of my PT. My doc has no compassion for babies like me so seeing him makes me feel sick. Thank you so much for listening. 

• Posted

You are doing amazingly! Seems in US numbers mean more!

It is so tempting to place too much pressure on yourself. If you are like me, once the inflammation goes down you will see significant progress. This was mostly for me around ten weeks onwards. I was around 120 flexion at three months, but flexion was 85/90/95 for the first two to three weeks and the physio I saw was not worried at all. At 7 weeks I was 110 flexion, and was around that for weeks. My understanding has been that even at 12 weeks around 115 would be good and my experience says range of motion continues to improve beyond that!

Are these deadlines for your benefit, or a matter of ticking boxes for other reasons? They seem rather ambitious in my opinion.

Like many things there are many different opinions but my understanding is that as long as progress is happening there is no need to be concerned. And it is important to be aware that progress is not linear, varies from person to person and can move backwards and forwards! The main thing is to keep the knee moving and love it as much as you can! Self compassion is very good for healing!

So you are not a baby at all! You are brave and strong and going through a hard time.

Be persistent but considerate also. To your self and your knee.

• Posted

I am also 3 weeks post op and having similar problems. I have vertically no bend, very swollen still and the pain in my leg at night is excruciating. I am waking up every 1-2 hours and walking around the house!   I am now on morphine at night but does not help so I'm thinking of asking for sleeping pills as the lack of sleep is really getting me down now.  The only thing at night that helps is massaging my leg with voltarol.  I have learnt from others on this forum to exercise, ice and rest.  I keep telling myself that I will get there, YOU WILL TOO!  Good luck with your recovery. 

• Posted

I think it's called Voltaren in US, its DICLOFENAC ( a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) (NSAID) in gel form but I massage cramping muscles with it. Not sure it's the gel or the massaging that helps but anything is better than nothing!

• Posted

Thank you. I'm so glad I found this forum so I can talk with others. It has really given me hope. 

• Posted

I think the mental and emotional impact of TKR is very underrated.  If you injured your knee in an accident, lots of people would be helpful and sympathetic.  However, because this is 'elective' surgery, something you have chosen to do to yourself, you are just expected to just get on with it, with the inference that if you do not get a good outcome, it will be your own fault for not trying hard enough.  It's not surprising that most of us go through a period of depression when we realise the pain and sleeplessness involved that nobody mentioned, but it will pass.

I think you are actually doing pretty well at 3 weeks to have a bend of 102/110.  It took me 6 weeks to get to 105 and 12 weeks to get to 110.  Pain medication can only take you so far, time is what is needed and as your swelling goes down and you relax more, you will find you are doing OK.

• Posted

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I almost vomit every time I go to therapy. When they push the leg back I scream and cry. I'm 65 years old and act like a baby. But I can't help it. I know They all understand but it is embarrassing. I have to see my surgeon in 2 weeks and he may be excellent at what he does but he is a big poop when it comes to understanding how the pain affects me. His nurse is the same way. I intend to tell them both at the end of my time with them just how poopy they both are. I was scheduled to have my other knee done but HELL no with him. Maybe later and I will be researching other docs. My PT has given me other names but right now I have no plans of doing this again. Again thank you so much for listening to me. 

• Posted

I so agree with you, get another doc. Ask your doctor if you can take Arnicare. I told someone else that I am understanding this product does wonders. Also Terry Naturally puts out a natural product that comes from a flower and it calms one down. It is called AnxioCalm, it really works!!!

I have been told one must stay on the Mediterranean diet also. Certain foods cause inflammation. When one remembers that Our poor knee has been doing all this work for so many years, it will take quite a bit of time to heal.

I hope this might help you.

• Posted

Joann- you have my sympathy! I hit rock bottom too at 3 weeks and thankfully found this forum!! A lot of good advice and encouragement from forum members got me through those dark days!! I'm now 13weeks and beginning to actually think I made the right decision to have op ! Keep strong and just remember you are in very early stage of recovery from what is major and brutal surgery. It takes time for body mind and spirit to regain equilibrium but you will get there!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.