3 weeks since ankle surgery and new bruising

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm getting a little concerned about the new red bruising around my ankle. It's been 3 weeks since my surgery, last week when I was fitted for an aircast I was told it was normal and that it sometimes takes this long for bruising to reach the surface. But it's now 1 week later and I'm still getting it, anyone else?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm also wondering if it's just redness rubbing, form the aircast or new bruising from having my ankle out of my cast so much. I gotta admit it's out more than in, but only sitting on the couch. I'm wiggling my toes and moving my ankle as much as possible to improve circulation, maybe this has done it? Any input would be great...

• Posted

I think, Dont worry. I think just go to bath and massage it slowly...
    • Posted

Can't get into a bath yet! I wish I could, I miss my long soaks. I will ice and massage it though, thx for the reply smile

• Posted

Pam069, sounds like good news. It took longer for mine to surface.Sounds like you are healing pretty fast. It took months before my ankle showed bruising signs. Afterwards it starts to look normal with much less swelling. The swelling comes, then bruising, then much more healing is seen.
    • Posted

Thx for the reply Sonya. Wow it took months for your bruising to show up? I had intense bruising within an hour after my fall. I must say my swelling has pretty much gone away. My foot looks scrawny now, lol it looks like a chicken foot! Lol
  • Posted

Hello Pam -   Stop worrying.    I had my surgery just over three months ago and while I'm walking perfectly normally now !!!   I still have some redness and bruising.  Some days it's worse than others, so rest assured, it's quite normal.     I had the same fears, I suppose we all do when something like this happens to us.  We're shocked and we have no idea what is right and what is not.

All I can advise is to elevate your ankle as high as you can comfortably for as long as you can every day and ice it on the hour every hour.   When you're allowed to weight bear - do it, a little bit at a time and then rest it again and keep going like this.    If you havent already, see a Physio and get some exercises and do them religiously.  It works.

I'm 72!     I broke my right ankle in two places and dislocated the Talus jnt. back in July exactly three months after having my right hip replaced.     My hip survived thank heavens and the recovery from that surgery was a walk in the park compared to this.   But my Physio has been wonderful and I've carried out his instructions to the letter.

I'm now walking properly with relatively little pain and not a limp in sight.   But I'm still resting and icing when I think it needs it and after a walk around twon and browsing the shops - it definitely needs it !

So very best of luck and don't worry any more.  

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reassurance Pauline! I'm a nervous Nelly incase you couldn't tell lol

I just hate all these new symptoms, I just think the bruising would be getting better instead of worse after 3 weeks. I have all stages of bruising going on from yellow/green old bruising, to dark purple/blue, to more recently, red again and I worry about whether this is all the normal, or heaven forbid this isn't even bruising but an infection, all these stupid thoughts enter your head ya know...

This site has been so helpful finding others who have been through the same experience.

Wow 72, your amazing, how far you have come is inspiring, you go girl ..

On top of all this ankle pain, I just found out I have a bone spur on the top of my foot- joy, NOT! Now I know why this darn boot always hurt on the top and always felt to tight! Apparently it's always been there, or so I've been told cuz they don't just pop up over night. But it's just now causing problems cuz of the boot! Ugh, just something else to deal with. Good news is that once out of the boot it should become asymptomatic again, once left alone. I have not yet started physio cuz I'm still non weight bearing for another 3 weeks but I was told to flex my foot a few times a day and wiggle my toes alot!

When I am in physio I will definitely take your advice and tips and do exactly as I'm told lol ...thanks again smile

• Posted

I'm bruising after 6 weeks and the bruises are itchy. Has anyone experienced itching or should I be concerned?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.