3 wks anyone feel like the meds weren't working

Posted , 4 users are following.

The first couple weeks I felt a little better I guess but have been down the last couple days.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Actually I am today finishing week 3. I feel differently from minute to minute.

The only hope I have is that I really feel better even if it's on an hour or two.

That makes change from the way I was feeling before 3 weeks.

I haven't panic attack last two weeks which is also good news and encouragement.

I can now tell you that I am not completely cured, but I feel changes.

I hope this answer will give you hope and encouragement...

A

• Posted

Hi

3 weeks is still a little early to really notice a big difference. Another week or so you should start to see a difference in yourself. I'm on 7 weeks today & it's only been the last couple of weeks that I have had more good days then bad. Stick in there because when they start to work it's fab xx

• Posted

Don't worry, that seems to be usual process of recovering for many people - after getting past the dreadful side effects, you might start to feel better followed by going back downhill again.  This can continue for quite a while, sometimes months.  It means the medication is working and proud body is adjusting to it.

Sometimes you might have an hour here or there feeling good, or a few days or weeks and is often followed by feeling low.  Some people suffer huge highs and lows throughout this period, but keep persevering and you'll find things will improve.

Often it takes 3-4 months to begin to feel good, some take longer.  It was 6 months before everything completely settled for me.

A broken leg takes time to heal, and so does this horrible illness.

K :-) xx

• Posted

Typo / predictive text ...... 'proud body' should have read 'your body'

confused

• Posted

Thank you guys so much. I'm trying to stay positive but I guess I just worry the meds won't work. It has been up and down a lot. Did you still get side effects on week 3 my jaw was aching last night and I thought I was past those sad
    • Posted

Hang on and be patient. The good stuff is coming. 3 weeks are to early. I am today 22 day and I have ups and downs also. Keep yourself distract and force yourself to be active...literally force yourself...Stick on it...never give up....hope will come and you will be cured...

Blessings,

A

• Posted

Also when you had to increase your dose does it feel like your starting all over?
    • Posted

I am sticking to 20mg. I will go with this dose until the end of week 4. I increased the dose on 40 and I returned back to 20 because I find it to early to increase cause 20 needs more time to kick....When I finish month one I will consult a Dr and tell him how I feel so we will decide should we go up or not....
    • Posted

Yes you do get side effects again and you can go through lows and highs again too.  Don't let this worry you though ... it's often trial and error getting your dose right.

K :-)

• Posted

Hi katecogs,

I lost around 4 kg or 8 lbs in 22 days of taking fluoxetine.

Is it normal?

I am sort of afraid to eat...and my appetite was completely lost...

I need your opinion on this...

You had weight loss yourself and how much?

You have any idea how much is normal to loose weight? And when the appetite will come back?

Thanks in advance..

A

• Posted

Hi katecogs,

Did you receive my previous reply about appetite questions and weight loss?

Rgds,

A

• Posted

Hi Alex

A lot of,people do lose weight when they take fluoxetine - usually because the meds make you feel a but nauseous to start with and makes your lose your appetite.

My son has taken fluoxetine since last year and lost his appetite and quite a bit weight too at the beginning.  His appetite came back around 3 months and is always hungry now :-)

Is being afraid to eat part of your illness, or has that just occurred since taking this meds?

I think 8lbs isn't too drastic, and your appetite should come back.  Best to eat small portions while you feel like this which are more appealing.

• Posted

Dear katecogs,

Thank you so much on your answer.

Actually being afraid to eat started after taking flu.

But I must admit it slowly subside...like everything else...can't wait to be my old self again.

Are you on 20 mg all the time?

• Posted

Yes have only ever been on 20mg and am starting to reduce back to 10mg as can maintain my well being on that.

i reckon losing your appetite is from the meds side effects, and it will return.

It is great when you've recovered - the body calms down, spirits lift and you definitely feel like your old self again. You'll get there :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.