3 x Knee Ops... still recovering! Anyone in the same boat?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So a bit of background. I have been suffering with arthritis in both knees for about 10 years.

Last year i had a lateral release on both my right and left knees about 3 months apart. Unfortunately the op’s never worked and I was still in a lot of pain.

So this year after another referral and seeing another consultant I have had a patella realiment and a mosaic plasty both on the right knee at the at same time. I’m now about 3 months post op and the crunching and knee pain is beginning to return. Physio has said not to worry but I’m scared I’m going backwards.

Unfortunately I am not able to exercises as I am back to work full time and when I get home my knee still balloons. Is this normal?

All the while the left leg is getting worse every day, still considering getting the same op on this leg too just to see if it makes it better. Anyone else in a similar positon or going through this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Obviously I don't have the same problem but due to staph had to have the prothesis taken out in early march, immobilized with no weight bearing (on a walker) then a 2 month antibiotic infusion protocol, waited 7 more weeks and then had the prosthesis installed, again immobilized and on a walker for 4 weeks. I am still rebuilding the leg and a couple of hours on my leg the swelling is bad enough that I'm back to elevation and icing. This is the 5th complete rebuild and 11th surgery on this leg. Seems like the more its whacked on the longer it takes to heal completely each time. They are telling me now I'm looking at 18 months to 2 years to get everything back.....-or at least close to everything. I have age going against me as well. I am 78 and the original problem, a rare tumor, ruptured when I was 65. Knees are so difficult to deal with just because of way they are hinged and all of the twisting and turning actions plus weight bearning that other joints don't do.
  • Posted

Ouch.  I have had the patella realigned and mosaic plasty on the left leg, ended up with the patella being removed. But the same procedure worked on the other leg.  Yes, worked for a little while. Had the first replacement 11 years ago on the left leg. and the right was replaced 2 years ago (but kept patella).  As for exercises; you must do them, you must keep your leg elevated (or at least raised off the floor at work).  If you don't exercise, your knee will fill with fluid, which will affect the whole leg. One nasty circle.  There are a lot of exercises you can do on the way to work (if your drive or sit on the train) and at your desk, all are discreet, so no weird looks from other people.  No carrying heavy bags; including your work bag (that was a hard one!!) There are a lot of musts, but if you don't, you won't know how bad your knees really are.  If that makes sense. If you can put a pillow or something hard under the foot your mattress to elevate your legs at night might help and if you can, take your anti-inflamms.  Hope that helps x
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice, I am trying to keep with the exercises but I've been told to stop doing anything when it swells up and if I do anything at the mo if swells! It's a bit of a cycle it's hard to get out of.

I am hoping it won't gone to TKR but it seems like it will eventually.

Thanks again L

• Posted

If you exercise while your knee is swollen, you will make things worse  The fluid is your knees way of protecting itself. When you are resting, try tightening your muscles without lifting your legs.There are quite a few exercises that you can do sitting/lying down.  Yes you are going round in a cycle but there will be times when you can break it.  Wait til the swelling goes away, wear a compression sock or a tubigrip every now and then when you exercise and see how you go. And don't go for the burn when there s no swelling!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.