3 year old son positive result me negative

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

So where to start. I started feeling ill 6 weeks after having my son 4 years ago. Upset stomachs bloating cramps lost a lot of weight. Had bloods done it revealed I had low ferritin. I discovered pasta and bread was making me ill so cut them out. I've had loads of coeliac tests and they always come back negative.

My son is nearly 4 and has been experiencing development delays along with chronic constipation and bloated tummy low iron. They recently tested him for coeliac and it came back positive. He's having further tests

My question is, could I still have undiagnosed coeliac even with negative blood results? Although my stomach problems are not as bad I suffer daily

From chronic fatigue with no explaination. Doctors won't take me seriously even with my Sons positive result. They told me

It's usually hereditary????

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi you could have a wheat intolerance?

perhaps keep a food diary and cut out gluten at the same time see if it makes a difference.

But inanswer to your question you can have a negative blood test for ceoliac.

Good luck DebsĀ 

• Posted

lara, go gluten and oat free and keep the diary as deb suggests. keep an eye of dairy as well but maybe not at the same time. Tryt eliminating one set of foods at a time. Intolerance is not quite the same as the Celiac condition (so I am told) but can cause real discomfort.

Oh yes, beware of things that you wouyld never believe to be a problem e.g. malt vinegar, Mars Bars (have Barley extract in).

Sadly so many GPs do not really know a lot about food intolerances and in this time of austerity cuts in the NHS then unfortunately the only probable way forward will be through 'private' assessment unless your local CCG are enlightened.

Good luck.

• Posted

In a word, 'yes', the same thing happened to me. Blood tests for coeliac disease are not very reliable and you can get 'false negative' results. You need to have an endoscopy with biopsies taken. My ferritin levels were extremely low too, and I was very ill, having undiagnosed coeliac disease for decades.

Make sure you eat gluten for at least 6 weeks prior to your test on a daily basis, otherwise you won't get the auto-immune response.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the replies

I definitely have an intolerance if I don't have coeliac. It should be pretty easy

For me to cut it out now my son is diagnosed. I just hope my energy levels improve with this. I am running on empty lately and just keep getting told I'm depressed. I think most people would be depressed if they didn't have the energy to live a normal life anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.