3 year old son with hsp

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello my son was diagnosed with hsp a few days ago. It has been very stressful and I have been trying to do as much research on it as possible it has been difficult because not that many people know what it is. I just joined this group to try and understand more about it and what I can do to help him. He complains of headache and stomach pain it started one night he woke up crying with stomach pain then said that he needed to throw up he didn't actually throw up do we thought that he was fine a day or 2 later 1 of his ankles swelled up really bad we thought he may have fallen and hurt it the next day the other ankle swelled up and then the rash came we took him to the er and he was diagnosed with hsp. After that his hands swelled the next day and the rash and bruises moved all over his body. His urine had been tested twice do far once the day he was diagnosed and then today do far no signs of his kidneys being affected. Can anyone give me any advice on what kind of foods I should have him eat that will help him to recover faster or foods that I should avoid feeding him? He hasn't been sick before the signs of hsp started also could there be more to it than what we are seeing and what steps do I need to take to find out if there is more to this? Any tips and advice will be appreciated.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well my eight year old son has been diagnosed with HSP since February of this year. He has husband good days and his terrifying days. We do everything that we can to pay attention to what he eats and see if his body has a reaction to it (flare ups of the rash in new places). Everyone with HSP has different triggers. We have learned to avoid feed our son foods that cause inflammation. You may want to read on foods that are bad for people with arthritis. But for him he no longer eats eggs and cow milk. He will drink almond milk instead. Also we have learned that his skin is sensitive to clothes that have been dried with dryer sheets. Now that we have changed his diet and stopped using the dryer sheets his skin is finally starting to clear up. He still lacks energy has he lost a lot of weight from this illness. But he seems to be improving. Will pray your son gets better soon.
  • Posted

His rash is going away but now he has been throwing up all morning he hasn't been able to eat anything and can't hold any fluids down. I'm not sure what to do

• Posted

You are very welcome! Another little peace of mind: everything I've read seems like the younger they are when the get it, the faster the recovery and the better the outcome.

• Posted

Hi! So sorry you are going through this! Some advice I can give to you is no ibuprofen! No matter what the docs say. I don't know if you read my daughter Coopers story or not but it was a complete nightmare. She was diagnosed in March. She had the swelling and purpura off and on for two weeks. Then she complained of stomach pains and started vomiting blood. Her hsp caused her to have intususseption. She had 28cm of her small intestine removed. So take all stomach pain seriously. But anyway, about the ibuprofen, our first doctor advised us to give it to her for joint pain. EVERY single time I gave it to her she had another episode. So at one of our many trips to the ER, one doc, who ended up saving my daughters life (she ended up with a second emergency surgery) told me not to give it to her because it can induce bleeding. I wonder if it has cause her HSP, too. 2 months before she got it, she got influenza a. She ran a high fever for 11 days, so she was on a constant ibuprofen/Tylenol regiment. Two weeks later she got influenza b and it was less severe, but still use ibuprofen. Before this she was so healthy. I have three kids and she was my kid who was Never sick. I wish you the best with your little guy. It is a nightmare and very scary- but today you would never know anything happened to Coop. She is healthy, happy, and symptom free (hopefully for good!). The only thing she has is her scars from her surgeries. I pray your sons is quick and has no lasting effects. Pray and stay strong.

Much love to him.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciated it and needed to hear that last part. My son was the most active 3 year old I knew he calls himself the flash because he runs everywhere and it was so sad the other day he said I can't be the flash no more and I told him yes you can you are a strong boy and you will get past this. I've just been so scared that it's going to effect him in a way to where he won't be able to be as active as he once was and a lot of the stories I have been reading up on scare me so I'm happy to hear about your daughter doing so well after having to deal with such hard times. We just left the children's hospital we had to take him in because he couldn't stop throwing up they did a ultra sound and said that his bowels are real badly inflamed and that basically he cannot eat anything except soups and light meals. I really hope that he can start to get better and doesn't have another flare up it's just already been so hard to go through seeing him in so much pain and not being able to do a thing to help. Once again thank you for your reply you have given me some hope in hard times

• Posted

Flash..ya my son also like to be flash & run quickly..but have to remind you here as that was reminded by the pediatrician we visited too, we have to try to advise them dont run too quickly at the moment as worry they might fall down. If touchwood fall down, it will cause swollen & another "blue black" to occur & it may cause another episod to start.

My son mood bit affected at 1st when we advise him dont run too fast or jump & his teacher try to stop him too. But i believe he can understand better or maybe accepting the fact now as we try to tell him the reason.

Really wish your son speedy recovery & we have to believe the hope is there always.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.