3 years after cataract surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my cataracts removed 3 years ago, then later I had to have lazer treatment for blurring - all successful [u]according to the surgeon[/u]!

I was promised my vision would be perfect and that I would be able to throw away my glasses (I was myopic but could read) however I have been left needing glasses for both distance and close work, and very dry eyes.  I use eyedrops almost every 2 hours and my eyes still feel sore and irritated.  Bright sunshine and car headlights are also a problem.  I can't enjoy days out or going on holiday, I have had to stop attending hydrotherapy for arthritis because of the clorine (even when wearing goggles).  Life is not worth living.

I am fed up and depressed, I cannot read for more than 10 minutes or so, and I wear sun glasses when using the computer - so I don't use it much any more.  It has totally ruined my enjoyment of life, the experts insist the ops were 100% successful and expertly carried out and thats its very common to have dry eyes afterwards, - just to carry on using the eye drops - thank you, goodbye.

Is there nothing I can do, is this for the rest of ly life?  I am so depressed I can't wait to die.

4 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Exdancer,

Had(having) very similar problems, eventually contacting both lawyers and the local CQC (Care Quality Commission) finally I have been referred to a top London eye hospital, two months ago they carried out a LASER operation which has certainly improved clarity if not the magnification. 

They plan to carry out LASER re-profilling on the 29th of this month so time will tell, as they say watch this space.

The most galling thing when discussing problems (six post op appointments) with my original surgeon was them telling me what I could see and as you can imagine this lit the blue touch paper they even accused me of becoming agressive, luckily I had recorder the consultation which I passed to the CQC less than two hours later I had the appointment in London.

The moral of this sad saga is don't give in, be nice but be persistent take notes and record all conversations,

Wishing you good luck and fortune.

Trevor 

• Posted

Trevor

did you go to Moorfields, and if so, who was your consultant?

• Posted

thanks Trevor.

I have looked up Mark Wilkins, and see his iapecial nterest is, 'complications after cataract surgery'. That would be perfect for me. Did you see him privately or on the NHS.

• Posted

Hello exdancer,

It`s a while since I posted anything and also new to the discussion group so have little to offer by way of support. Also I am not one who would usually reply to such a sad message as I have no experience.

Before I ramble on - lest I forget - and not to sound patronising in any way `We only get one life` and nothing is worth giving up on it.

It`s Saturday and I have my feet up after having a little operation not associated with eyes so thought I`d drop you a line.

I have a very old friend who is also dancer and has a disability + dry

eyes etc. and I know the depth of her loss. Any loss is hard to bear; I guess we suffer in silence then get frustrated then angry and go through

the various stages of grief just as with the loss of a loved one.

If it is any consolation I wasn`t told that my eyes could get dryer after

my catarats ops and wish I had known as my eyes were dry to begin with. I am also suffering in a similar way and very frustrated. 

It was a mistake caused by human error and sadly there is nothing I can do about it....... well on reflection, that`s not strictly true...... 

I had to ask myself whether all my frustration and anger were stopping me from living in the moment as much as the disability and I didn`t like the reply I got.

The times in our lives when we think we can`t go on, do pass. There is a

quotation "This too shall pass"

We cant get rid of the disability right now but we do have choices - I forgot I had choices when things felt bleak as many of us do, but we can try to change our point of view about the disability by changing the way we think about it and trying to live in the moment.

By this I mean recognising our negative self talk as soon as it starts by refusing to listen to it `Nope not today` or `Not just now` then do something nice such as (well you know better than me) but having a bubble bath or something.

Living in the moment and being kind to your self is hard when life gets

the better of you - but love your self  exdancer and take care of you.

Best Wishes

• Posted

Thank you Alice, wise words - I don't think I want anyone else 'messing around' with my eyes in case they make matters worse!  As you say - at lease I can see!

I did ask for legal help and was told I'd signed the consent form which clearly states that there is a ??% chance of complications, including blindness (can't remember seeing that bit!!) so I was without the proverbial leg to stand on.  I'm surprised Trevor didn't get the same answers from his lawyers.

• Posted

Hi Exdancer, First get hold of your notes will cost a maximum of £50 ish, then read them very carefully looking up any unknown terms etc, look for Today I have discussed with the patient etc then compare with what you recall, what you seek is differences once you have found these you can then challenge.

The first solicitor I saw told me what you have been told, after a little digging I found that the stats for my surgeon were far below the accepted average average, and more importantly both surgeon and solicitor were members of the same lodge, moral get a female solicitor and get one from a town many miles away and with all parties both legal and medical demand as is your right to be copied in on all communications both written and electronic.

In a letter from my original surgeon to another surgeon I found that the original only sought advice not as she promised a referral, hence my suggestion that you take notes and whenever possible record your consultation, most mobile phones have a record function these days.....

Good Luck 

• Posted

Trevor

Its Alice 

Something you have mentioned caught my eye;may I send a private message

• Posted

I can really emphathize, having stuggled with now for 10 mos with (just) one eye (the other still with a cataract that will have to be dealt with at some point) foulded up with a variety of visual abberations, the worst of which is flickering (have posted about it several times under that subject on this website) and the feeling I have a screwed up contact lens in my eye. Like you beforehand was given the strong hope I could likely "throw away my glasses".

Have been told the installation of the lens etc was "perfect", but still need glasess for distance. Been to 3 docs and none is sure what, if anything, can be done. Teeth-gnashing over the options, none of which seems very likely to help, has caused me very bad insomnia, really gotten me down.

Like me, you're probably fed up with trying to "see" more doctors. Wish I had more to offer than sympathy.

• Posted

Thanks anyway Peter.  Yes - the operation went perfectly and was a success!   Huh!
  • Posted

I so sympathy.  I too had enormous problems after cataract operation, including dry eye, blepharitis etc.  I felt angry, sucidial as I was told that this is as good as it gets, as apparently all the healing takes place within the first 2 months, but that has not been my experience it is only now after 2 years that I feel my eyes are starting to settle down, work together, not being so dry, (used drops every hour for 18 months) they were permanently sore and blury.  It is just possible that your eyes may take even a little longer too recover. I wish you luck and hope your own healing kicks in soon.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.