3 YEARS of Incomplete Bowel Movements, just want an answer!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post first of all.

Basically my story is this:

Before starting university 3 years ago I can recall having completely normal and easy bowel movements. When uni started however things started to go downhill, I would spend longer on the toilet, I was able to push most the stools out with relative ease but could not for the life of me push the last bits out, feeling like I had no control of the stools at the last part of my rectum. This led to much frustration and discomfort, I would have to CHOOSE a time where there wasn't a stool halfway out so that I could clean and get out. I would feel gassy, uncomfortable and extremely conscious.

The obvious suspicion was diet; which changed a lot during uni, so I introduced more fiber, fluids and fruit/veg, experimenting for the next 2 years. Nothing worked, even laxatives proved to help only slightly. I have tried fiber supplements (psyllium husk) and eating pro-biotic yogurt, Even when I'm at home with the same diet I had before uni, the problem persists.

I am a generally fit and healthy young (22 year old) male and have a normal BMI.

Finally, 3 years on, I decided to visit a doctor. He performed a digital rectal exam and reported no signs of hemorrhoids or other abnormalities. He did however insert a plastic device in my rectum and asked me to push as hard as I could, when I did he said that it felt as if I wasn't pushing at all.

He prescribed laxatives and said he thought everything was normal :s

This has frustrated and upset me and I am in search for anyone with similar experiences or even possibly a solution?

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I'm 27 and I too have been plagued by these problems, but for considerably longer - for as long as I can remember! Not unlike yourself I've tried everything I can think of, I'm currently re-trying upping my probiotic intake but I'm not expecting any miracles. Very very rarely, I do get a 'normal' BM and think I'm cured only to be back to my usual self the very next day - it's incredibly frustrating.

I really hope we both manage to find the answer, the only thing that offers me relief is the use of daily water enemas they make me feel clean, comfortable and confident, but they're hardly practical.

Regards,

Acubens

• Posted

What this sounds like is a very weak pelvic floor. The pelvic floor is made up of several muscles that tie into every other muscle in your body. do you have headaches, or posture problems, or sleep problems as well? generally these things are also tied to the pelvic floor.

I would seriously recommend trying some Pilates exercises. Pilates will help you strengthen the muscles.

For immediate stools though, I'd say drink a cup of coffee with espresso. Caffeine is a natural laxative. Try mixing 17 mg of Mira-lax into the coffee as well. When I had chronic constipation, mira-lax literally saved my life. I would go for three weeks without passing a stool (for different reasons than what you've described, but the toxicity buildup was still serious). You can't taste it, and it's available over the counter, and it's very affordable.

If you don't like coffee, try drinking about 8 cups of apple juice. it'll turn the stool into diarrhea and you won't have problems passing it.

Good luck, and pm me if you'd like me to describe specific pilates exercises for you. The pilates will help long-term.

• Posted

hey! 28 year old male with same  issue as everyone here. I have incresed fiber, eat healthy, tried laxatives. I am really starting to agree that I have a week pelvic floor. Can you give me some suggestions on pilates and different exrecises for my pelvic floor?

Thanks!

• Posted

i am writing for my husband. he always had constipation preoblems and i have the opposite, but now i have 2 bleeding ulcers and my med is making me ok. however, for my husband , all of a sudden thee constipation got so bad he practically couldnt go at all. this went on all day long. he eats musili 2 times a day and veg and lots of fiber, but he was straining his whole life. i researched this and told him that has to stop. we saw the gastro enterologist and hes fine. he has a lazy colon. the dr did some tests--scanning of the abdoman and its normal. there are no hemmorhoids. he did a rectal exam. he put him on movicole. 3 times a day. im his dr. here, so i did weeks of research and i tiold him to take 4 packs of movicole. the drs here arent the greatest. weree going back to the dr aug 29. however i think this is his problem-----he has a heart condition and he has to walk every nite. he does things so slowly. he goes to sleep 4 am, 5 am. --.no good. the first step is sleep. you cannot function without sleep. a body needs it. then diet. the lifestyle is terrible today. however, were retired and i think theres no excuse for him going to sleep like this and eating at all hrs. i have told him. he ignores me. hes appreciative of the work i do. i have arthritis in my whole body. i have 2 bleeding ulcers and i manage. i just buried my mother from alzeimers. we have no family but us and our children. were not that old, but i really put this down to his not sleeping. a body must sleep at normal hrs and eat properly at normalhrs. hes retired. what excuse does he have? i have to join these groups to please ask for help here. if someone else has the same problem, how did you handle it? hes so nervous. he will never take an anti depressant,, but i dont think thats the answer. i tell him not to think so much. relax. tension too plays a part. hes so nervous over this. i understand, but this wont be solved with the sleeping patterns he has or this tension. he has to be calm. it will come. hes eating the right foods, but at ridiculous hrs. hes too nervous. he wont take a sedative. i have xanax in the house when my mother got sick. she died in 11 months. its only 1 year. his tention and my troubles are causing me to get ulcer attacks myself. i dont tell him,but i dont have reg ulcers. i had 1 hemmorhage in my stomach already. if anyone can nelp with a suggestion, id appreciate it. thanks
  • Posted

You are subjecting yourself to excessive, unnecessary stress that is bad for you as well as for your husband. I believe what I sy can help you and your husband, but it will require a dramatic change of attitude on your part, as follows. GFirst, yopu must recognize that you can not change your husband's habits. Next, you must out yourself on the sort of regular, healthy sleep and eating schedule that you are trying in vain to get your husband to adopt. Try to not say a word to your husband about his sleep habits or eating at all hours. He likely knows it's wrong and that you diosapprove. Continue to harp on it only adds to his and yoru stress and probably makes him cling more obstinately to his current practicies. If it makes you too tense to say nothing, use your zanax and perhaps take a walk, visit a friend, anything but focus on your hubby. Do prepare healthy meals with fiber fruits and vegetables at what you consider propper mealtimnes and do encourage him to eat with you. Also invite (mind you, I said invite, not scold or beseech!) him to engage in mild excercise with you, such as walking daily which is great for the bowels. If you can and will do this your home will be a more healt-promoting, pleasant and tension free place. Best wishes.

If you can and will do this yiour home will be a much more pleasant place

• Posted

Aloe Vera tablets and probiotic acidophilus along with increased water consumption have helped me
  • Posted

I have  the same problem exactly. My symptoms started after severe constipation for months.  After it was over I began noticing that my bearing down grunting mechanism would stop midway through the  bowel movements and could not get the rest out.

So far the only solution I have found is a substantial consumption of V8 juice, 2 to 3 glasses per day. The tomato in the V8 causes your stool to be semi-firm but has a coating that allows the stool to exit with great ease; you almost can't feel it as it comes out, and yes, the last of it comes out too.

When you are done the most amazing thing happens. NO wiping required. There is no smearing as the stool comes out but one should wipe anyway. 

This is the crazyest thing ever but it works.

This does not fix the problem which is a weak pelvic disorder, The muscles have been traumatized and there is a disfunction with the urge to grunt mid way. What it does do is it provides 100 percent relief of the symptoms.

Have fun drinking V8. I keep a 64 oz container in the fridge ice cold and drink during the day in the hot florida climate. At first I didn't like it that much and then after a while I became hooked. Since it's only for me I drink right out of the jug and some times I can't stop my self.

Tomato juice would probably work also since it's the tomato that does the trick but I've never tried it, besides V8 is bettter for you.  It is also important to maintain high fiber and fruit included in your diet and yes, it takes about 3 days to begin noticing a change in the texture of your stool.

Let me know if this helps any one.

• Posted

Hi albert27969,

I'm suffering of the same symptoms... I am planning to try this v8 juice. Did you find that the v8 decreased any bloating and allowed you to pass stools more regularly overall? 

• Posted

I have  the same problem exactly. My symptoms started after severe constipation for months.  After it was over I began noticing that my bearing down grunting mechanism would stop midway through the  bowel movements and could not get the rest out.

So far the only solution I have found is a substantial consumption of V8 juice, 2 to 3 glasses per day. The tomato in the V8 causes your stool to be semi-firm but has a coating that allows the stool to exit with great ease; you almost can't feel it as it comes out, and yes, the last of it comes out too.

When you are done the most amazing thing happens. NO wiping required. There is no smearing as the stool comes out but one should wipe anyway. 

This is the crazyest thing ever but it works.

This does not fix the problem which is a weak pelvic disorder, The muscles have been traumatized and there is a disfunction with the urge to grunt mid way. What it does do is it provides 100 percent relief of the symptoms.

Have fun drinking V8. I keep a 64 oz container in the fridge ice cold and drink during the day in the hot florida climate. At first I didn't like it that much and then after a while I became hooked. Since it's only for me I drink right out of the jug and some times I can't stop my self.

Tomato juice would probably work also since it's the tomato that does the trick but I've never tried it, besides V8 is bettter for you.  It is also important to maintain high fiber and fruit included in your diet and yes, it takes about 3 days to begin noticing a change in the texture of your stool.

Let me know if this helps any one.

• Posted

Hi debby14071 you say right thing about it ... One thing I added in this ..... Morning exercise before sun rise time is very important.... I'm also suffering from 6-7 yrs .. Now I'm 19 ... Winter raisin is most important for colon health... Plz do planning for long time and then u feel slowly slowly improvement.... Last 3-4 month I cut 60-70% symptom of ibs

...... Breakfast time 8am , lunch 1pm.. Dinner 7pm .... Wake up time ... 1.5 hr before sunrise..... U also take laxavative bt when u feel better avoid it slowly slowly one in 2days

• Posted

HI, I have had this issue for a long time and this is what i do to control it...first - learn about FODMAPs...i eat glutten and some dairy but i do not eat apples, pears, garlic, onions...big trigger foods for me.  Seconf - take Dr. Natura colonix everyday....I love it, Third...take lactaid wether you eat dairy or not...and take Bromelain...eat a fiber cookie...stay away from spices and hot spices...after 40 years of dealing with this...hear me.
    • Posted

Hi debby14071 you say right thing about it ... One thing I added in this ..... Morning exercise before sun rise time is very important.... I'm also suffering from 6-7 yrs .. Now I'm 19 ... Winter raisin is most important for colon health... Plz do planning for long time and then u feel slowly slowly improvement.... Last 3-4 month I cut 60-70% symptom of ibs

...... Breakfast time 8am , lunch 1pm.. Dinner 7pm .... Wake up time ... 1.5 hr before sunrise..... U also take laxavative bt when u feel better avoid it slowly slowly one in 2days than 3days ...

• Posted

...... Breakfast time 8am , lunch 1pm.. Dinner 7pm .... Wake up time ... 1.5 hr before sunrise..... U also take laxavative bt when u feel better avoid it slowly slowly one in 2days

I am daily runner fit boy bt I never found reason behind it

• Posted

I have actually read your post when I was doing a lot of research for what is now IBS. I have similar incomplete bowel movement, and I know how you feel. It is frustrating to say the least. I read a lot of post and a lot of stuff on youtube. I found Dr. Hyme, and he talks about the cure for IBS, or what he believes is the root cause of IBS. 

I know you haven't talked about IBS, but by researching this I found a 90 - 95% fix for this problem. Dr Hyme talks about sibo. Small intestine bacterial overgrowth, and suggest taking xifaxan. This is a not absorbed antibiotic. After that you use anit-fungals and then repopulate the gut with good bacteria. My current doctor wouldn't go for the first part of the procedure, which was a food allergy test, but did happen to have samples of xifaxan. I used the xifaxan for 2 weeks, and then decided on my own to use a probiotic. I take 2 30 billion tablets a day. It causes my stool to thicken up to the point where I have about 90 - 95% evacuation. Its not perfect, but it is whole lot better than it was, and the loose stool problem is gone. I no longer stress about finding a bathroom all day. Some days a little, but not everday like I had before. I do believe I have some sort of disfunction at the end of my colon near the rectum, but haven't found a fix for that yet. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.