3 Years of Stomach Pain and Treatment, Help Me.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im Lance and I am 18 years old now, I have been in stomach pain on and off for about 3 years now. when i was 15 i experienced a lot of acidity due to what i believe was from eating alot before bed in hopes of gaining weight for sports. i would wake up in the morning in sweats and have to go straight to the bathroom and i would have diarrhea and instant relief after. although this is when my morning appetite had gone away. After trying to fix all my problems myself i just took tums when needed. after symptoms got worse and worse i was diagnosed with mono, which was confusing at first but somebody on my football team had it and we share water spraying bottles. i was tired all day every day and this killed my passion for any type of physical activity. i was 16 going on 17 at this time and was devistated and found myself staying inside watching sports or playing videogames more than i was actually playing sports (off season) like i truly wanted to. but my symptoms didnt allow me to. i had now been 17 for a while now and urged my mother that i needed professional help as i had quit lacrosse and football my senior year of highschool. i had been fatigued all day every day, with good amounts of sleep ranging from 7-9 hours, i had been a health freak on and off trying to clean up my diet and increase both aerobic and strength excersizes and had grown to love it until my symptoms discouraged me to continue, i saw my first doctor who prescribed me prylosec for 2 weeks, i had taken it and it had not helped one bit. a week later i saw my gi and had told him all of my symptoms, i had thrown up a few times due to what felt like food poisioning, when i ate sometimes it would feel like i was digesting a knife pointing horizontal poking at the left side of my stomach, and that i was loosing weight and fatigued and felt low purpose of being a teenage boy who should eat whatever do whatever and have the feeling of no consequences. he scheduled me for my first major procedure, colonoscopy and endoscopy, i was scared but in heaps of joy for my first real step towards recovery, i had them done and off the bat he diagnosed me with acid reflux i was on omeprozol for the next week before the biopsies he took results came in with containing h-pylori bacterial infection, he put me on antibiotics for 2 weeks and im now finishing up my medicine and feel as if im back to square one. sporatic diarrhea, waking up with the feeling deep in my intestines of bloating and burning, i cant enjoy pizza or eating out anywhere with my friends girlfriend or family and couldnt even leave my brthday dinner without an upset stomach. my doctor had mentioned it could be caused by stress but i have nothing to stress, my career is starting off, i have a girlfriend of 2 years, a loving family, and i just got a new car. i agree that stress has worsened my symptoms at times but not caused them sololy. please ANY HELP WILL BE INVALUABLE! I just want to be back to normal. i also have noticed my symptoms going to my girlfriend aswell, she gets dizzy spells, diarrhea, vomiting, and very bad acidity in her stomach and im afraid im causing it or hurting her. please somebody reach out to me if you get a chance to help me out. smile i know i have read much about people in simiilar boats but i needed to post my story because i know the real help comes from those few specific details and symptoms that vairy within each persons case. 

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi lance

Sorry u r suffering so much

I suffer acid reflux to point where very severe pain comes out tru my back between shoulder blades plus lots more symptoms

I am currently taking slippery elm and manuka honey in morning cereal vit b6 and b12 and vit e and probiotics every day I have raised my bed up six inches at the head and a avoid chocolate and acid and fat foods like the plaque my next thing is to start taking apple cider vinegar

I'm feeling a little better since starting all this but by no means back to normal

And yes stress will make things worse by 100per cent

I hope this will help u but unfortunately is all trial and error

I wish u well

Kate

• Posted

It seems like you're just as serious as I about getting better! I hope all of the self help you've been doing helps you a lot in the end! I appreciate the reply and take care!

• Posted

You sound like a very mature 18-year old who has been through a lot already. I feel bad when young people have to endure medical issues that interrupt what should be a great time in your life. But that being said you seem to be handling this pretty well. One good thing is you got diagnosed right away, many of us didn't have that luxury.  As far as the anxiety issue goes, you know best if you have anxiety, I think that term gets used too much due to not having answers for our physical problems.  

From everything I have read there are a number of things that can be done for this illness, There are lifestyle changes that will help with the reflux such as diet changes, eating smaller meals more often, raising the head of your bed 6-8 inches so if you reflux at night acid doesn't get up into your esophagus, stay away from foods that are known to cause acid like tomatoes, chocolate, caffeine, sodas, mint, citrus, etc. These are on many websites along with other helpful tips.  I haven't had Helicobacter Pylori so I am no help here but if you have GERD/LPR then you have many of the same issues to deal with. Did the Omeprazole help you, are you still one It? Not sure if your HP is returning or is the GERD just showing up even without having HP?

I was diagnosed with LPR and put on Omeprazole until I saw my GI for an endoscopy on June 9. I have gastritis, Hiatal a hernia, and esophagitis. My GI changed my meds to Pantoprazole (stronger??), and added Sucralfate for a few weeks, but the reflux is still there at times.  I don't go back to my GI until Sept but if this doesn't work for me along with lifestyle changes then the next step or fix would be surgery if I am not willing to live like this.  I am waiting for biopsy diagnosis to know what to do next.  As far as your girlfriend goes I highly doubt you are causing her to have these symptoms if she has anxiety she will get symptoms no matter what and not only from you.  I wish you all the best and please keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, I see from your comment that you have been put on Sucralfate. I don't want to alarm you but have you been informed of the implications of taking it for more than a year. I was on it for a year then quickly told to stop as it can cause an accumulation of aluminium which blood tests proved. I was getting a lot of pain near my bowel area which disappeared as soon as I stopped. The worst of it was it did help my acid reflux but was too worried to carry on with it. 

The trouble is doctors only tell you what they want to tell you and not always what you need to know.

As I just suggested to Lance, try the elimination diet as it has worked wonders for me by cutting out a lot of sinister foods. Good luck

• Posted

Hi nicolajones, I am only on the Sucralfate for a few weeks probably 3 at the most, and I also use a med checker so I was aware of that. Sucralfate does seem to help, I thought maybe GI put me on it after taking biopsies when I had the endoscopy done as I could feel things were a bit tender in the esophagus. It has recovered now. Thank you for the warning though it is hard to keep up with all of the different things. I find these forums helpful to keep on track with everything. Thanks

• Posted

My GI told me I was fine when looking on the inside, no swelling or irritation other than signs of acid reflux. That's when he diagnosed me with it. Omeprozal I can't really answer your question on, I'm not sure if it had worked much as I've only taken solely omeprozal for 1 week before the triple antibiotics and then supplemented it with those. So I'm on 40mg before breakfast daily until I run out but it looks like I'll have to stick through the pain as I'm going to basic training in a week. I should be okay with the pain as long as I'm eating right which will be very easy to do with the army providing food 24/7. That may help as I have skipped meals at my own house a lot which never really helped. Now I should have a balanced consistent diet. Thanks for the help! smile -Lance

• Posted

Hi Lance, I'm so sorry to hear of the pain you are going through and at such an early age. I have been suffering for 2 years now and know that doctors are no use and have found a lot of the answers to my pain by myself. 

Can I ask if you have been tested for coeliac disease. I haven't got this but have found through a lot of food elimination tests that I am intolerant to wheat and dairy products. I am in the process of testing myself with yeast foods as well as I think this is also a problem to me.

i may be barking up the wrong tree completely but it's worth a try cutting out all of these foods for a while to see what happens.

i hope you get some answers and relief from the pain soon.

• Posted

I am eliminating all acidic foods out of my diet in hopes of that solving the majority of my problems. Hopefully I will be able to eat whatever I want again eventually and be more careful with my diet choices next time. I hope my problems weren't self provoked.

• Posted

Lance, have the doctors mentioned the possibility of a hiatal hernia. I was,diagnosed with one in March at the ER and had surgery that night. Some of your symptoms sound familiar is why I ask. The hernia opening allowed my stomach to come through and press in to my diaphragm. It was corrected by a surgery called a nissen fundoplication 360 in which they pulled the stomach back down. Wrap it around the esphogus and repair the diaphram.

Just a thought

Jennifer

• Posted

I visited GI yesterday and after explaining my symptoms (loss of appetite and continuous bloating and burning/stabbing pain)his exact words were "eh you're okay, go off to basic training, take omeprozal until you leave and begin taking out acidic foods from your diet. You should be fine". Either he has no concern or he is confident that I was okay after giving me the endo and colonoscopy and mentioned it could be enhanced by anxiety because of my situation. I'm sorry you went through that and I'm glad I'm not alone on this. Take care!

• Posted

Hi Lance:  Hang in there, these ditive issu can be delt with.  You need to be ery careful of how you describe your issues to your doctor.  If you mention the word 'acid' then they may misdiagnose.  You initially mentioned " i would wake up in the morning in sweats and have to go straight to the bathroom and i would have diarrhea and instant relief after".  To me, that is not acid reflux symptoms.  I know about trying to gain weight, I did the same thing in my teens.  I even took a steroid prescribed by my family doctor, because I was so desperate.  I had an instant bad reaction, swelling around my eyes till they almost shut.  Have you taken anything like that to gain weight or muscle? 

You symptoms are similar to an alergic reaction.  Most weight gaining products are milk based.  Some people can't digest milk proteins, the stomach sends it through to the small intestine where it turns to sugar and causes intestinal bloating and pain, then the small intestine sends it to the large intestine, undigested, where it causes diarrhea.  Sometimes we are our worst evemy.  You might try a week without any milk products and see if there is improvement.  You can also try this with wheat products. 

I think you doctor was wrong prescribing acid blockers and antibiotics for two weeks.  For h pylori, I think two weeks is not enough.  Plus, it should be triple drug treatment to actually work.  But, I am not convinced you even have h pylori..

You also mentioned a feeling of a knife in the stomach.  Usually, an ulcer would cause a burning sensation.  However, the small intestine and some organs can cause a stabbing pain.  Like the small intestine and pancreas.  Pancreatic pain can floor a person.  You need a FULL blood screening to test for and unusual numbers, diabetes, organ function.  You need this right away.  Let me know if I'm on the right track.  Jonathan

• Posted

I've had blood work and they only saw very minor problem involving my liver but that was it. I had biopsies done from stomach and intestines and was diagnosed with the H-Pylori and am on triple antibiotics for that and just finished my cycle yesterday. I'm now onto omeprozal and strict dieting that excludes acidic foods in hopes any existing damage will heal so I can once again eat junk food with friends and family and enjoy the "dirty bulk" every (skinny)teenage lifter wants to enjoy. Take care and I appreciate the input!

• Posted

Hi Lance

My heart goes out to you!! Suffering like this at such a young age. I dont have much time so I will abbreviate what I think you should do:

1: food allergy testing especially celiac disease (biopsy when you have endoscope is most accurate test for celiac). My friend suffered a lot of diahareeh and she got diagnosed celiac.

2: triple therapy for Heli P is most effective and taking manuka honey.

3: get a fixed stool test for parasites (have you been abroad?)

4: find out if you have a hiatus hernia as this can cause reflux. (Endoscope)

5: SIBO can cause reflux ( try going on low carb diet).

6: look into FODMAP diet

You must go on reflux friendly diet. No caffeine, no alchol, no choc, no citrus, no spicy, no high fats, avoid garlic and onion, avoid sugar.

Raising bed with bricks really helps if u get reflux at night. Leave 3-4 hrs before eating and lying down.

Dont give up on exercise. You need to do something low impact. Cycling ( not too hilly though), walking, yoga and pilates, badminton, swimming. You need to stay positive and try not to focus on it, as this can make it worse. You will find the answer. But dont stress looking for it.

Dgl licorice helps me. Slippery elm works but it constipates me? You could try Mastic gum. Also have you tried probiotics or small amounts of fermented foods? They might make u worse to begin with but then you should see improvements. If you dont stop them.

Find yourself a good doc who is willing to explore all of the above and dont stop till you find one. You are too young to be going through this.

Love dom

• Posted

I do need a new doctor as I'm working with a very small sized GI office. He's not very good with speaking English along with he isn't very easy to talk to. I tried explaining my symptoms as an example I said I feel constipated as if I have to go but I don't but then later on that night I would have diarrhea. He said that it doesn't make sense that I'm constipated and have diarrhea at the same time but I'm the person getting it. I appreciate the input and will get looking into the information you gave me! Thanks again and take care!

• Posted

Hi Lance,

I know exactly what it feels like to be 18 and unable to eat out with friends and enjoy life normally. I was born with severe acid reflux and have been on and off of medicine my entire life for it. Nexium has to be one of the worst medicines I ever took for it. The side affects were worse than the benefits. It gave me stomach cramps and pain and reduces the ability for your body to absorb calcium. I was on it for a year and a half and then weened myself off of it. it sucks at first. There were days I wanted to rip my throat and stomach out but I quickly found gaviscon and it was a life saver. I had a medical emergency my senior year in high school that required me to take a lot of hard medicine and it really threw off the balance that I worked so long to get in my stomach. Antibiotics always throw off stomach acid. For me it makes me over produce it like crazy. So after taking more than 1500 mg a day twice a day for two and a half weeks my body was ready to quit. My acid reflux was so bad I could not eat at all and would throw up instantly if I did. I was put back on nexium to fix it. After about two months of being on nexium my doctor decided to switch me off of it. Nexium is great for quickly fixing a terribly imbalanced stomach but after prolonged use your stomach can actually have too little acid in it. Thats when my doctor decided to put me on Axid. Its a rather old medication for acid reflux but it has virtually no side affects and is working wonders. I personally don't mind taking medicine every day for it. I currently take it twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I am trying to get down to just once a day. My stomach is just getting back to "normal" (I don't think I'll ever be completely normal) and it has been about two years since my severe flare up. I would say try your best to find your trigger foods and avoid eating too many of then in a couple day time frame. I love pizza but I know I can't have it multiple days in a row. I also love coffee so if I have coffee one day I can't have things like spaghetti or pizza later in the day. I find tracking what foods bother your stomach really help. Also NEVER eat anything right before bed. always try to stop eating about an hour before you're ready to lie down. Papaya tablets put good enzymes into your stomach that really help get the digestion process kick started and can even relieve a little bit of nausea. Ginger beer (ginger ale on steroids) is amazing for a sour stomach if you can handle the bite it has. If you're ever looking for something to eat in the morning apples are great to eat first thing in the mornign because it has good enzymes in it that can help you throughout the day. Bonus is that its super healthy and not super filling so if you're not really a breakfast person it's perfect.

Best of luck to you,

A 20 year old who feels your pain

• Posted

Man I appreciate the tips and the story. I'm sorry you're having to go through the same problems as me and K hope you get better well. I'm off to basic training in a week and I'm taking with me a saying "take things step by step" so I'm going to be focused on getting better and being strict with my medicine, tracking my food until then and after the training. Again I hope you get better and thanks for the reply!

• Posted

Lance:  I really don't think you're ready for basic training.  You won't have any control of the type of food you eat.  Military food is known for being dead food.  Highly processed, probably frozen.  You should be on a live vegetarian type diet.  Fresh, live food.  You should let them know your situation and health issues.  You need to be more stablized. 

• Posted

I will let them know and I believe I should be fine. It's not much different from what I'm eating at my house. We do get to choose what we eat on occasion and I will make sure to eat as clean live as possible. I agree that would help me a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.