3 years since TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

3 years since i had a TKR but i still have mobility problems especially going up and down stairs. Also walking .but my other knee is bad now so im in constant pain. Is anyone else the same ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That s e ems to be a very common complaint. You put all the pressure on the good knee for so long that the wear and tear finally takes a toll. Talk to your surgeon about either steroid or Synvisc injection to help avoid or at least postpone the other tkr.
  • Posted

Hi Angela. Unfortunately it is a story lots of people are familiar with. I had my right knee done last June 2017 and by October my left previously good knee was giving me a lot of pain. By Christmas I couldn’t walk and steroid injection didn’t work so I am now almost 4 weeks from a partial replacement. It’s very difficult as the other new knee wasn’t quite ready to do all the work.

Do what you can to build up st least one of them. Good luck

• Posted

angela 100 hi about the same as the case was or rather is with me, both my knees had to be done but due to anesthetics in the first one it was postphoned for 6 months. I had it done on an spinal and to me it worked well after 1 year i did the 2nd one the same way and new what was waiting i also had problems when the first one was done due to the other one still bone on bone after that say six months i started walking as i call solo with out any asistance i do not know if it due to my age 64 or a bit of overweight maybe both lol i am also not very stable and can do short walks to the cafy about 1 km from our house with some rest in between i have rhumatoid arhtritus and the little knibbels pain are still here some people think that with the op the arthritus disapear afraid not, you will definatly benifit after the 2nd one is done but we or most of us keep something over due the operation but there is light ahead as soon as the 2nd one is done i hope it is soon, danie from south africa
  • Posted

How old are you? Do you exercise? I would try cryotherapy, laser, stem cell, injections?  I would be looking into other therapies since your first knee is not that good! You don’t know how your other knee will react from the surgery.  Check out other therapies first!  You don’t want to end up in s wheelchair.  The doctors don’t care, and if you find one that does your a genus!
  • Posted

Hi Angela!

So sorry to hear that your other knee is causing you so much pain!

Both of my knees were equally bad with no cartilage left, constant pain, terrible balance issues, no real relief from pain pills, shots, ot physical therapy. X-rays proved that I needed BOTH replaced. Had first surgery (left) done June 2015. While I was still in the hospital it was VERY CLEAR that my surgical knee was already stronger, much steadier and gave me much less grief than my non-surgical knee! By the time I was home I was noticing that as improvement was taking place in my surgical knee, my other one JUST GOT WORSE AND WORSE!

At my checkup with #1 I scheduled my surgery for #2. Had my second surgery three and a half months later. My second surgery went even better than my first with less swelling, increased mobility much sooner and one day less of hospital stay.

It is almost three years now since my surgeries. I can honestly say that having both done was my very best decision I have ever made for my health, my well-being, and to get my life back!

I have arthritis in many parts of my body, but MY KNEES are pain-free, strong, and have given me back my life again to shop and garden and go walking and to stand as long as I want.

If I had NOT gotten my second knee replaced it DEFINITELY would have held me back from everything.

I hope you will find YOUR pain-free life very soon!♥️

• Posted

LTKR May 2017. To delay having the right knee done so I could fully recover, I tried cortisone-lasted 2 weeks, had to wait 6 months for the Synvisc injection which has decreased pain but not enough to walk freely without half crutches. I was hoping to wait until my left knee fully recovered but now I have to wait 6 months from th Synvisc injection before I can have the right knee replaced. I am using half ergonomic crutches to reduce stress on the right knee. The left knee is straight and strong. It gets stiff after sitting too long but despite knowing what knee replacement involves, I hope to have the right knee done in September.

Keep in mind that everyone gets different results from cortisone Dan Synvisc injections. Some people find it helps delay surgery.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Thankyou for all of you replies. I just get so depressed with the pain and the painkillers i am on make me sick lately. I take tramadol...i have arthritis in my feet and hands...your right though, my GP doesnt seem to think they can give me anything to relieve it. I am working full time and come home exhausted....this forum helps though.. thanks everyone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.