3 years sinus problems, ear/head pressure, what is this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everybody, thanks for reading.  Been suffering for a while now and not sure what to do.  42 year old male.  

Symptoms:

--drainage down throat almost every day, is best when I wake up, gradually gets worse as day goes on

--pressure in ears builds up, feel it on both sides of head, often get dull headaches

--feel like my head is "cloudy" a lot...full type feeling

--smiling feels like it makes the pressure worse

--fatigue, I yawn a lot...seems like the more drainage the more I yawn

--lying on my back with my head on a pillow makes it worse--the pressure and drainage increase

--rarely stuffed up, rarely blow my nose

--have had a sinus scan (nothing found), saw an ENT, nothing found

--take flonase and an antihistamine daily, both seem to help a little, been on both for over a year

--sore neck at times, not sure this is related though

--dull sore throat sometimes, but not too often

--years ago had a bad cold and several rounds of antibiotics, I don't think I've been the same since

I don't feel like I can concentrate like I once could, I don't enjoy reading anymore, and often feel irritable.  Ibuprofin does help but I try not to take it too often.  I had bad allergies as a kid but they seemed to get better as I got older.  Not depressed, no abnormal stress in my life.  The drainage though is nearly constant from when I wake up, and then my day gets worse as it goes on.  Now and then I do have better days but rarely.

Any thoughts are welcomed, and thanks in advance.

Matt   

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I can sympathise greatly, currently in the same boat. ENT says there are no issues as well, yet this is so abnormal. Tried countless antihistamines, decongestants, antibiotics. Recently just had a kenalog injection to see if it was chronic inflammation causing the issues, it's not helped remotely. 

Currently seeing a neurologist as the ENT has come up blank. So far he has been more helpful, apparently, types of migraines can mimic sinus pain and sensations of fullness in the face and ears. Waiting on some results, but he thinks its vacuum headaches causing my issues. (yet I have had this issue almost daily for 2 years) Even down to the drainage, it's a lot to with how pressure affects your sinus's airflow which is why it's often worse when laying down. 

maybe worth looking into? Could explain why ibuprofen helps? 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi...ibuprofen may also help because, like me, the issue can be caused by inflammation. Ibuprofen being an anti inflammatory could reduce this.

My problems are related to an auto immune illness as were my headaches, neck pain and vertigo.

Scans show nothing for me either except changes in maxillary sinuses due to the chronic inflammation. Plaquenil has helped a lot.

Also a very simple sea salt spray my doctor recently prescribed has brought relief. I will look for the name of it and post it here.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh and also I had long running problems with my ears with nothing to see there either. That turned out to be also inflammatory. This year I suffered an episode of myringitis. Very unpleasant after years of feeling fullness and oressure with tinnitus at times.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi.  I have had all your symptoms for over three years,  it’s rotten.  I hate to think how many antibiotics I have taken over this time.  I recently changed my GP & he doesn’t believe in handing out antibiotics, which is great.  He gave me a prescription but not to fill it until I tried something else, this was (Margaret mentioned it below) a nasal rinse and a cold & flue tablet, (tablet to take away headache) it has worked a treat, normally by this time of year I was taking antibiotics once a month!   So when it’s in full flight I rinse three times a day, but I try to do it once a day (when I’m fine I forget!!). I had an MRI scan some years ago and the Consultant told me “all is find you just have the remains of a sinus infection”. That was it.... I took it he never had any or all the symptoms we have/get!!!

give the rinse a go, but, remember to breath while doing it, unlike me -lol..

feel better soon.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for all the replies here, it's at least nice to know you are not alone.

I think the most maddening thing about this is the fact that I feel almost completely normal when I wake up, usually no draining at all for an hour or two.  Then it slowly increases and along with it the pressure and dull headache/icky feeling.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up