3 Years sober March 26, 2020

Posted , 9 users are following.

Well, March 26th marked my 3rd complete year sober. Usually I tell you all how much I've saved from not buying those 1 and a half litres of wine a night but all I have to say is that from the beginning of March I have been fighting the urge to drink more than I have in the last 2 years combined. I know it's normal with everything we are faced with right now. The level of anxiety and stress we are dealing with right now is not normal or healthy. I haven't given in and I do not intend to but this addiction is giving me a run for it's money right now.

YOU WILL NOT WIN ADDICTION!

I AM STRONGER THAN YOU!

That's what I have to say today. Thank you

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Wov! Totally outstanding. And you saved £8760 or more. £4 per bottle 750 ml x 2 each day is £8 daily saving. £8 x 365 days = £2920. 3 years = £8760 saved unless you paid more each day. And you look and feel younger! Do not give in during these stressful times. You can do it. Me, now 7 years and 3 months sober😄keep well. Regards Robin

• Edited

thats the ugly moment.

thing is yoor brain now has forgotten or can easily dismiss all the morbidly horrifying consequences of your addiction. at the same time your brain has remembered the pleasure.

it happened to me and i relapsed. thing is however at some point i lost my memories and next thing is my housemate loudly diacussing my disturbing and frightening behaviour

so under the real threat to be evicted i stopped.

the recent events made me focus on my financial survival so i dont have time or brain resources to pay attention to past addictions.

• Posted

Great reply and very honest ddimitrakov. Are you trying to cut down right now? Hard due to the lockdown ..just wondering

• Edited

Completely understandable to feel a draw towards something that might numb current stresses and worries... but three years on, you know that going back to old habits will not change anything, and may even make you more vulnerable. With more time on our hands, it is easy to be tempted - on the first day of lock-down, I decided to give up my daily wine habit. It has been hard and I can't deny there are moments when a glass of wine wouldn't go amiss but I want to control my drinking, and to feel like a part of the human race again. However, you are right to recognise the current stresses and anxieties as exceptional - this pandemic will peter out though, and there will light at the end of this tunnel. In the meantime, can you explore other indoor activities that might absorb you? On-line pilates, dancercize etc, sewing, learn a language... you have done so well to give up for so long, don't let this virus over-turn all the good work you have done!

• Edited

Well done on your 3 years sober. I don't think the temptation to have just a glass of something ever goes away and in the present situation could get even stronger. I've been completely sober for quite some time now and when the urge to drink arrives, I often turn to this site for encouragement from my internet friends. You can get through the next few weeks and will feel very proud of yourself!

• Edited

HI TOAD, I just wanted to comment; I am so happy for you, overcoming your addiction...I hope somebody has told you how strong you are & how your self control is amazing!? I hope you have taken the time to feel proud of how far you have come!? I wanted to wish you all the best & to Thank You for taking the time to help others with the same struggles!!TAKE CARE💒🎶🐾🌈🍀♾

• Edited

Hi Smile, My Dear, if you can just stick it out, 3 years is amazing...if you can get through THIS, and you CAN...what a boost THAT will be...all natural, done by you and your self-control!!Don't throw away your life and success to an a-hole virus that you cant even see, YOU control THIS outcome...if seeing News and suffering, 24/7 non stop COVID19 upsets you, limit the time you see it, mute commercials, listen to music, clean, organize, start a hobby, watch DIY videos on youtube or stupid cat ones & journal your thoughts, for future use etc... etc......consider ALCOHOL IS NON-ESSENTIAL....you are NOT allowed to go get it!! Good Luck my friend & come back ANYTIME!! BEST WISHES💒🎶🐾🌈🍀☮♾

• Posted

Hello, my user name is kferrara12 I am a registered nurse and a baccalaureate nursing student. I am interested in learning more about your experiences with anxiety that is causing people to drink during this challening time. This will help me understand the real life challenges of patients during this pandemic and I will use this information to better care for my future patients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.