30mg citalopram and no change

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I upped my dose of citalopram from 20 to 30mg 11 days ago and I've had some side effects again. I was on the 20 for 5 weeks prior, but right now my anxiety feels really bad. It's like I've got a constant fire ball in my chest. Mornings are horrendous and I just can't feel any end to this. I'm still not eating and have no energy.

After 7 and a half weeks I'm really worried that the citalopram isn't working or going to work.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

Am in the same boat

Upped mine from 30 to 40 ten days ago. Cold burning tingling. Am sat in the park with my baby. Can t move I m so anxious.

• Posted

Aw Sarah hope u r ok? I'm hoping that it's just the increase in dose that's doing this. I've given myself a good talking to and tried to pull myself together but it's so hard.

How long have u been on citalopram ? X

• Posted

Been on it just over 9 weeks. Started at 10 for a week then 20 for a week then 30 now 40 for 10 days. Worst anxiety since I started.
    • Posted

It must just be the dose increase side effects. Have you felt any relief while you've been on it at all?

Hope you got home ok and it's started to settle xx

• Posted

Up until 2 weeks ago I was feeling better not great but better but now I feel back to square one.

What about u ?

• Posted

I started on 20 7 weeks ago and upped my dose to 30 at the begining of next week.  I was getting some relief, though not much, late afternoon and in the evening before the increase, but since I've had all the side effects back again and my anxiety seems to be back at the begining.  I'm just hoping that things settle down soon as it feels like there is no end in sight x

• Posted

that should have said at the begining of last week!
    • Posted

Did you get bad side effects when you started ? Are these worse? I feel much worse than when I started.

Why did you increase ?

• Posted

I had awful side effects when  I first started, this isnt quite as bad, but its bad enough.  I increased because the anxiety wasnt settling, I'm now wondering if I should have or just stayed on the 20mg.

What about you?  How were you when you first started?  It's such a long road isnt it?  x

• Posted

I was not too bad at all when I started in fact I felt good and thought it was working fast. Still having bad days and anxiety but nothing like this. I am not sure what to do. I think maybe I should have stayex at 20 or 30. My doc says this won t be the cit as I did not have bad, start uo side effects so would not now but it feels very chemical and different to my normal anxiety. Don t know what to do.
    • Posted

I m told it can take 3 months to work for some but to be feeling this bad 9ish weeks in if it is not cos of the increase does not bode well.
    • Posted

I've heard various timeframes, 4-6 weeks or up to 3 months.  Upping the dose puts you back, which is what I'm telling myself at the moment to keep me going.

40mg is high so maybe it's really hitting your system which is why you are getting side effects now.  Are you experiencing any other side effects?

I cant eat and have really bad nausea, mornings are the worse for me anxiety wise.

xx

• Posted

I m getting tingling sensations and severe anxiety especially in the morning but it seems to carry on into the day. No appetite. Feeling flushed. Very jittery.

I have an 8 month old baby so this is a nightmare. Really thought it was working.

• Posted

They are all side effects of citalopram. The 40mg has obviously hit your system with being so strong. If you didn't have these side effects with the lower doses then sounds like your system isn't sensitive to the med. side effects last a couple of weeks (says with fingers crossed) but if it doesn't settle go back to gp as u may need to lower dose a bit x

• Posted

I was on cit happily for yrs 10 mg stress hit an doc kept doubling my dose just couldnt manage it i was way worse bouncing of the walls i was so aggitated and anxious went back 2 weeks ago to b told the latest guidelines are that cit is not the best ssri in treating anxiety while it may work for some most it increases the symptoms and takes longer to settle anxiety if it does at all i am now on sertraline not out of the woods yet but an improvement on 2 weeks ago
    • Posted

Have you had any side effects coming off the citalopram or from taking the sertraline?
    • Posted

Increased anxiety lack of appitite seeating or shivering a few episodes of the runs but nothing major all starting to ease up or have gone completely
    • Posted

One of the hardest things is not even knowing if going through all this hell will be worth it.

Hope you are feeling better this morn ?

• Posted

Its so frustrating isnt it wat is ur doc saying for u to do?
    • Posted

How long do we stick with it for though? My biggest concern is the meds aren't working! I just wish I could wake up one morning without the crushing anxiety and nausea

• Posted

God me too. With a baby in the mix it is unbearable. I m going to stick with them as I had been a bit better till 2 weeks ago. Be 10 weeks this weekend. 9 on 20 or more.

Trying to keep the faith.

• Posted

Before I went on citalopram I was just feeling nervy and on edge. Once I started the citalopram the anxiety went through the roof ! I know it's one of the side effects. Because my anxiety has peaked I've now got to somehow break the cycle.

• Posted

I have noticed as well as being anxious in the morning I am getting adrenaline rushes and tingling about 5 to 6 hours after I take me dose in the morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.