31 days post turp

Posted , 11 users are following.

its been 31 days since turp surgery, on Wed and Thurs day of last week I was doing great and lasting 2 hours during the day. I was thinking my body was making a change for the best. Then Friday I was not lasting as long and yesterday evening I had a beer starting to urinate every 30 minutes again. I do not know if it is the carbination or just the beer got me going again. This morning I am still struggling with my urgency and frequency. I do not understand what could have happened between Wed and this morning. i did have starbucks coffee 3 of the 4 days and wonder if caffine could be the issue. I am just mistified on why so good and now back to bad. Has anybody had such a shift in their recovery like I am having. Thanks for any comments, also night time is ok with 2 visits per night. Thanks for any comments.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rick,

Sorry you had a setback. My guess is that the beer and coffee are not agreeing with you at this point. I would eliminate those for a few days and see what happens. My bet is things will improve.

Best wishes,

• Posted

Hi Rick;

I'm sorry that your problems have returned.  

I had a PAE on Sept 28 and felt great afterward.  By November my problems were returning and I, like you, was asking if I caused it by restarting my trips to the gym? riding a bike? drinking coffee, etc, etc.

I've spoken to my doctor and he has no answers.  

At this point I think that the post-procedure period of relief from the symptoms was due to all the meds I got during the procedure.  Long acting corticoids would wear off in about a month, leaving the patient wondering what happened.  

• Posted

Hi Rick,

Both beer and coffee are diuretics which can cause frequency in even a healthy system. Your system still needs time to heal so maybe lay off both alcohol and caffeine for a little while and then introduce them very slowly.

Jim

• Posted

I am at about 45 days post TURP . If I drink soda or coffee i pee alot and often.
  • Posted

As others have said, coffee and beer both can irritate the system.  I'd suggest tea over coffee, if you need the caffeine, as coffee has a gazillion chemical compunds that tea doesn't have, and tea may not irritate like coffee does...  Just a thought...

• Posted

FYI  I'm coming up on 10 weeks since I had the turp procedure.  I am a coffee drinker of about six cups a day prior to turp.  Right after turp I did limit my coffee to two cups in the morning, that would have me peeing about every 45 minutes for a few hours.  I am up to the six cups again peeing about every three to four hours.  If I do get up during the night to pee it's just one time.  Have not tried beer yet but that's coming.

• Posted

i only drink 1 cup a day in the morning. i am going to lay off caffine next week and see what happens. i very rarely drink beer, a friend came by and we had 1 beer. I am only just passed 4 weeks but those 2 days that i was lasting 2 hours were unbelievable to me to not have the urge and to not worry about needing a restroom. i am sure just part of healing up. Thanks Joe for reminding me it takes time. Be good.
  • Posted

Rick,

i had a TURP on June 1st and I never stopped drinking coffee but I did not have a problem you described. I recovered amazingly quickly after TURP without setbacks.

My only problem with TURP was a Prostate Ca that was incidentally found.

MK 

• Posted

Yes, it was prostate cancer. I had another surgery on November 2nd to remove prostate. Recovery is very hard after radical prostatectomy. Almost 11weeks post op incontinece is still a problem. Another problem is ED that affect every one after prostate removal and is long lasting.

BTW, I just turned 52 a week ago today.

MK 

• Posted

MK, so sorry to hear your story. Hope you all the best on your travels forward. Be Good.
    • Posted

I am very sorry that you had this operation so soon in life . I have PCa

but I am 76. Wish you recovery. Your young age may help. Zdzislaz

• Posted

Setbacks can come at any time for months following any prostate procedure and has little to do with what you drink or eat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.