31, new baby and now OA in my hips! Steroid injections?!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! 

I’m 31 and currently on maternity leave as I’ve just had my first baby. Had pain during my pregnancy in my right hip, then found out I have no cartilage left in my right hip and have OA in both hips and back. 

Have just seen a consultant who says I can have a hip replacement now or try steroid injections. I have chose the steroid injections and now I’m on a waiting list. Has anyone tried these injections before? Do they help with the pain?

I am putting off a hip replacement as I feel I’m too young and by the time I need my 3rd hip it may not work as well. 

Sleep is a big problem, not only am I in so much pain I have a 9 month old who doesn’t sleep either and it’s draining me.

And I’m away to start work again next week, I’m a nurse who does 12 hour shift, dreading going back! 

If anyone has any advice for me on anything I’ve moaned about that would be amazing! 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Lindsey,the injections last about one month at a time.so it will help untill you get that operation.

That is what I am gonna do.needed a hip for about 5 years the NHS here over 60years old they would operate.

But I have a family member which works there and he says more successful if done early.

• Posted

Have you been sent to a good physiotherapist ?

Here's the thing about 'OA' - there is NO diagnosis for it. It's essentially a diagnosis of exclusion - a label given for unexplained joint pain.

It is now recommended that x-rays and MRI's are NOT used to make a diagnosis of OA on the grounds that there is no correlation between severity of wear and symptoms. In other words, plenty of people have severely worn cartilage yet lead a pain free and active life. Most people with xray/mri evidence of hip OA DO NOT have symptoms. 

I was diagnosed with a 'classic' case of hip OA at age 42. I never believed and was convinced it was muscle imbalance. It took me 10 years, but I was proved right and my symptoms are now gone. At one point I was told I was at most a year away from surgery. 

In your shoes I would INSIST that all other possible causes are ruled out before you accept a hip OA diagnosis. Now the big catch is that it's very difficult to treat the kind of complex imbalance that leads to an OA diagnosis, but it really is worth making a big effort - as you say, there are limitations to replacement hips so better to move heaven and earth to get your own working properly.

To my mind it's nothing short of criminal the way they hand out a definite diagnosis of an incurable disease without first ruling out treatable causes. You can learn more from my website where I share my story. You'll find a link in my profile.  You'll also find a link to the NICE guidelines there (which UK health professionals should follow). 

It totally fits that a muscle imbalance would become symptomatic during pregnancy due to the additional load placed upon already unstable structures. This could well be treatable. 

• Posted

Thanks for replying Susan! 

I have been paying for a private Physio and she is now stuck with me as she can’t improve my current state as I’ve no cartilage and no joint space so she can’t help me anymore. I will have a look at your story and read more about muscle imbalance. 

Thank you x

• Posted

By all means PM me if I can be of any help. I struggled for 10 years before I got my imbalance unraveled - don't give up hope when the Physios give up - umpteen gave up with me, but in the end I figured it out. At your age it's got to be worth your best shot!!! Worse case scenario it will STILL help you get a more successful outcome from surgery as your soft tissue will be in better shape.

• Posted

Lindsey,

sorry you are having to deal with bad hips at such a young age.  I was diagnosed with bilateral hip arthritis in August, 2015.  I had injections in both hips shortly after that, and repeated injections in February, 2016, but needed it badly in the one hip sooner.  At that point, I knew it was not going to get better, and could barely tolerate in 1 hip, so at 51, I choose to have first hip replaced in June, 2016.  

I have just had my other hip replaced 2 weeks ago.  My theory was that the injections would just buy time, so I picked a good time to just get it replaced, and so happy I did.  In 2 more weeks I can ease back into tennis, and don't feel restricted at all, just can't run anymore.  

The new ceramic hips last 30 years, maybe more, research isn't out that far.  So, If you don't get good relief with the steroid injection, or for very long, I would definitely go ahead and get your surgery scheduled.  You will be and feel so much better that you do now and will regain your range of motion.  You don't want to suffer, there is no need to. 

hope this help,

Susan 

• Posted

Thank you Susan for replying. 

Was the injections sore?  

Was the recovery long from your op? 

Are they giving our ceramic hips routinley? 

Were you on the op waiting list long? 

Thanks xx

• Posted

Lindsey,

The injections weren't fun, but was tolerably and did both at the same time.  Went right back to work that day.

I had the mini posterior surgical approach with both hips,  Recovery for me was quick for both hips.  I was walking without a cane at 1 week, and driving by 2 weeks, was back playing tennis by 6 weeks with the 1st hip.  I returned to work at 3 1/2 weeks after 1st replacement, but am taking 6 weeks with this one as I have the sick time saved up.  Right now I am 2 weeks post op, getting around great, just sore, and need to nap every day while I recover.  

It would depend on the surgeon what type of hip they use, the ceramic hips are newer technology. 

I live in US, so my surgeon books about 2 months out for his surgery's

I will tell you in 2016, I spent a year doing 2 rounds of steroid shots and physical therapy, but since there were bone spurs and no cartilage, nothing but a replacement will make it better after a certain point, I was wasting my time.  When the pain starts waking you up at night, and you loose range of motion its time to fix it in my opinion.  

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I had OA on my shoulders i tried rverything slternate meds but never took injections i b lieve it softrns the bones so i went for a shoulder replacement i dont regret im pain free- hip replacements are very successful may b take a second opinion 🌺 

• Posted

Thank you for replying! 

Who told you they could soften the bones? 

So many pros and cons to everything. My mind is in overdrive in what to do. 

Thanks x

• Posted

Many doctors told m in South Africa few friends had it done on their hill b careful pls 
  • Posted

Hi Lindsey 

Firstly I would like to say I’m sorry that youve had to cope with this with such a young baby too. 

I really do recommend the hip steroid injection, asi had it 5 yrs ago and never regretted it. It worked very quickly and I had no symptoms what so ever. It’s only the last year, since I’ve had all symptoms come back had an X-ray luckily not that much change but the reason getting all symptoms back is because the steroids have worn off. They don’t want to give another yet because too many injections can make the bone weak and if ever I need a hip replacement it might not take aswell 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.