Skip to content

Osteoarthritis

Also known as Arthritis - Osteoarthritis

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Osteoarthritis

I have just been diagnosed as having osteoarthritis in my hands I type everyday will I need to give up work soon.

Last reply
  • Ankle replacement or Fusion

I was diagnosed with end stage osteoarthritis in sept 16 after having ligament surgery. Since then the pain has been getting increasingly worse and having a knock on effect with my mobility etc. I had an injection in Jan but it only lasted about 3 weeks my surgeon said it should last about 3 months....

Last reply
  • Osteoarthritis is both hips

Hello all, ​Well I have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis​ in both my hips. I am 50. The x ray showed narrowing of the joint space in both hips. They say it is mild but I have been suffering from pain, weakness and sciatica. It is affecting my left side more than the right which almost feels normal....

Last reply
  • Referred pain to ankle and foot causes

Hello. I am a female aged 70. I have o a in knees spine and neck and possibly hips. Around 6 years,ago I suffered awful knee pain but the worst pain was going down the leg to the ankle and foot it was unbearable (no back pain then although I do have severe varicose veins) I was due to have a knee...

Last reply
  • I'm weighing up surgery on my thumb joints

I have osteo arthritis of both thumb joints. I'm 70, still very active ( currently on a skiing holiday) and work full time in my business. My condition is getting increasingly painful. I get by with painkillers. I have seen a surgeon but I'm really concerned about the long recovery time. ...

Last reply
  • OA

Hi Long story short at 48 I started with left hip pain whilst walking on the beach, hip was fine but X-ray showed degenerate disc damage if lower back. Now aged 55 I have OA of complete spine which can’t be operated on now as I’m too risky after a subarachnoid hemorrhage in November 16 . I have arthritis...

Last reply
  • Has anyone had triple surgery on their hands

I have osteoarthritis in both basal thumb joints, dupuytren's contracture in  both hands plus carpal tunnel in both hands, my surgeon wants to combine the three ops on each hand in one go, has anyone had the three problems together?  thankyou.

Last reply
  • Osteoarthritis in shoulder

Hi 👋 everyone  I just found out that I have partially dislocated my left shoulder. Has anyone done this? What did you have done?

Last reply
  • Ostioarthritis-shoulders , hips , back and hands

Has anyone waited long time for surgery for arthritis? I had hip replacements done in 1998 and 2003. Now need 2 shoulder replacements .Been waiting 3 yrs, now find out could be another 1-2 yrs. Also need 1 hip redone as it has worn out. Any advice.

Posted
  • Severe Osteoarthritis all over my body...

Hi, I am new to this forum, and really am seeking any information I can find. Just wondering if anyone knows of or has osteoarthritis all over, I mean everywhere. I have it in my feet, ankles, knees, hips, spine, hands, fingers, and elbows and shoulders. My right hip is gone I need a total hip replacement,...

Last reply
  • thumb fusion vs pyrocarbon pip total joint replacement?

Very active mechanic trying to keep strength in left thumb (I am right handed). Wearing a hand brace now made specifically for me but wondering who has had something done and has it worked long term. Wearing the hand brace allows me to do everything but I am still experiencing pain. Is it better to have...

Last reply
  • 31, new baby and now OA in my hips! Steroid injections?!

Hello!  I’m 31 and currently on maternity leave as I’ve just had my first baby. Had pain during my pregnancy in my right hip, then found out I have no cartilage left in my right hip and have OA in both hips and back.  Have just seen a consultant who says I can have a hip replacement now or...

Last reply
  • Lower back scoliosis? X rays included

Hello,  Male 24. Strong back pain and left hip pain. Today I got my results in from my lower back x rays. I get strong lower back pain and hip pain and it looks like we found the problem after multiple blood tests. Please see my previous post on my profile for further information.  Thanks...

Posted
  • Too young to have osteoarthritis

About 10 years ago I had hip surgery cause of calcium deposits and bone fragments and about 6 months ago I found out I have degenerated arthritis(osteoarthritis). How long till I need the hip replacement. I am 33 years old 

Last reply
  • Osteoarthritis in both hips and knees Need advice

Hi everyone, I’m new to this group and need some advice.  I’m 34 and been suffering the last two years with osteoarthritis in both hips and knees. It’s quite server and past key hole surgery. There is no cartilage left in my hips. My consultant has said my hips are at the age of 89 and I’m too young...

Last reply
  • Osteoarthritis and effect on mental jealth

I have osteoarthritis in my feet and knees and hands I am only 56 I have 2 unilateral knee joint replacements and recently had surgery on my foot wit no positive outcome and has now left me with neuropathic nerve damage and it’s all got to me mental health wise any thoughts?

Posted
  • Painful thumbs 😩

I’ve got osteoarthritis in both thumb joints, I’m 48 & work as a quality auditor but recently even writing is painful.  This weekend has been particularly bad with shooting pains in both thumbs that catches my breath.  I’ve another 19 years before I can retire what can I do feel like my...

Last reply
  • Basal thumb arthoplasty

Hello, I had my surgery November 30, 2017. A pin was put in my wtist for three weeks,I was immobilized for approximately four weeks. Been going to OT since the first week in January. Swelling, pain, and recovery in general has been difficult to say the least. Is there a light at the end of the...

Last reply
  • Exercise for limited mobility

Hello! So I have osteoarthritis in both knees, surgeon has removed some of the arthritis as well as a section of my kneecap just over a year ago, I’m now awaiting a tkr but as I’m 47 he wants to hold off abit longer. I have trouble with any pressure applied to knees  whether it’s climbing stairs,...

Last reply
  • Diclofenac or PRP injections for Osteoarthritis

I have Osteoarthritis in both thumbs and the pain is starting to be unbearable. I am 54 and I have been dealing with this for about 3 years. The doc told me last year my hands were not bad enough for surgery. I cant zip my pants, hold my hair dryer or even hold my car keys so I can’t imagine how bad...

Last reply
  • Thr...6 weeks on

Hi everyone, Looking for some advice please. I had thr just over 6 weeks ago and I have been doing really well. Getting around house without crutches and very little pain medication. However last few days I have had discomfort at back of my thigh when walking, no pain sitting down or keeping me awake....hoping...

Last reply
  • The Psoas muscle

I have severe osteoarthritis in my left hip and moderate -severe in my right hip. I’ve been reading online and I’m wondering if anyone has any good, easy psoas muscle exercises?  I think I’m very stiff and my legs, upper thighs (in front) are painful and sore. I wonder if a shortened psoas muscle...

Last reply
  • I have a mixed diagnosis of oa and scleraderma.

I've managed it for 12 years but this last 6 months it has gotten out of control especially in my hands. They are swollen, inflamed and there is a permanent feeling of pins and needles in the tips of my fingers. It's as though there are tight bands around my wrists cutting off...

Posted
  • Thumb arthritis causing tingling up my arm. Significant?

I had a trapeziectomy on my left thumb joint about 18 months ago and, although it's not as strong as it was, there is no pain now and I'm really pleased I had it done.   I've had a few steroid injections into my right thumb since then and will be seeing my GP for another one in a few...

Last reply
  • Knee op

I had a knee op two months ago and been off work for four months due to pain  I work in retail so on my legs all the time  My work don’t want me back until I’m 100% But I surgeon is telling me to stay off my legs for long period of time  My knee is rubbing bone to bone and now I have a...

Last reply
  • Does anyone have hylauronic injections on the NHS?

I've had there privately through work but they won't fund this year's for my OA in my knees. My area doesn't do them but I think some NHS hospitals do so may try and be referred to one of them I've had the series of three injection but found somewhere that charge £230 for...

Last reply
  • Swollen and painful knees

I’ve had swollen knees for 3 months and I cannot get the swelling to go away. It seems I’ve tried everything, even cortisone shots. I have some osteoarthritis, mild tendinitis, and mild non-specific edema. Maybe bursitis? I’m not walking well at all, very limited. Any suggestions?

Last reply
  • I can't walk today

Background: Male 24. 155lbs.  About four years ago, I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my hips and my cartilages were getting thinner. I had constant pain each time I sat or stood up from a chair. Currently, I have constant fatigue and very frequent urination. Fingers crack all the time, I have...

Last reply
  • Osteoarthritis on both hips with cysts

I had pain on and off on my right hip after childbirth over 3 years ago but this week I finally did an x ray privately and saw a consultant and he told me I actually have arthritis grade 2 in both hips with many cysts. Never heard about cysts on the bones before, he explained is first signs of...

Last reply
  • Starting to get sensations of blacking out

Hi, I have severe osteoarthritis in neck and across shoulders from years of typing.  Have started to notice that when typing I get a sensation as if I am going to black out, my vision go a bit off, sort of wonky.  My neck is so painful it hurts to hold my head up.  I presume that it is...

Last reply
  • active normally

Hi. I'vejust been diagnosed with arthritis in both hips..I' a 46 yr old female. Up till a few weeks ago I ran daily and climbed every week. Suddenly I can only walk for very short distances, around the house is okay but I struggle much further.  I'm taking naproxen and have tried both...

Last reply
  • Just being nosey!

But first:  Merry Christmas and a healthier 2018 to all fellow sufferers. 1:  What pain killers have helped most with your pain? 2:  Have ANY creams relieved your pain? I can’t take any pain killers except cocodamol (stomach problems) but it is advised not to take them over long periods....

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.