OSTEOARTRITIS IN BOTH HIPS NEED HELP ON MOBILITY AIDS.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, i went for an xray mid june last year on my left hip, result came back that i have osteoarthritis , mid october i started having pains in my right groin,hip, i went for an xray on 11th feb this year, results, i now have osteoarthritis in both hips, how can it spread in such a short time? when i went to gp last week, she said i need an occupstional therapist to come round to see if we can have aids fitted, toillet riser bar, walk in shower ect, i also have severe mental health, mdd and psychosis,and ptsd and a skin condition called hidradentitis suppurative, also asthma, my mobility has got worse, as i used a stick for outdoors, ive been told i need to use two sticks to take weight off my hips, as when i stand i cant stand for more than twenty mins without having to sit down, gp said also it will spread to my other joints,wrists, knees ect, could be three month, six, up to 12 or two years but it will happen, if this is the case how can i use two sticks, i had crutches years ago when i broke my ankle and they was uncomfortable, a mobility scouuter is a nono, cos of my mental health and concentration, as to medication im on, IM at a loss as to what to use.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

hi Mick... so sorry to hear this.. that is dreadful to have all that thrown at you almost at once. Not sure what country your in ., hopefully youre UK as I'm sure you should get good support there. its good that your gp is organising an OT to come and assess your home but I'm surprised your gp has not referred you to rheumatologist for further assessment.. or even an orthopaedicsurgeon for joint replacement assessment too... Or physiotherapist for exercises.

You can request this and if she refuses.. think I'd be looking for second opinion.

As you need to be treated and assessed on many levels and need all round support.

Has she mentioned joint replacement ??

I have a friend who has had multiple joint replacements. Or has she suggested any sort of treatment to relieve your symptoms. Like hydrotherapy for example. Its brilliant.

I have OA in both knees on XRay and experience a fair amount of pain and have great difficulty in walking any distance..

I had a GP of many year standing who just didnt seem to manage my overall health situation effectively ..

I have a few other issues too.

She left the practice and now at last

I am now seeing a new GP in a completely new practice and what a complete change in my overall health and treatment..

Sometimes fresh eyes and opinion helps.

I hope you get some good insight and help in management of your health situation.

I'm sure you will get some good tips, , support suggestions, advice and help from everyone here... Hang in there. 😃

• Edited

Hi Gail. Yes in UK. Lancashire. I was referred to a physio for exercises in July last year for my left hip, I had three appointments as that's all the NHS could offer, physio discharged me in November, that's around the time I started noticing my right hip wasn't quite right, same pain.

I went to gp on 8th Feb, as you always see a different gp here for some reason, I had xray on Feb 11th, 14th results back, then I got a phone call off doctors to see gp over results, I already have mental health issues and ringing like that I was thinking it was a bone tumor or something and got very worried , I've not been referred anywhere other than an occupational therapist, as my wife's daughter who has disability has problems too but no one ever suggested a ot for my wifes daughter , I still find it strange that in less than 12 months it's in both my hips, as for hip replacement (s) I've been told I need to be 50, I'm 43 in October, as for medication for it, I just got ibuprofen gel, the gp who referred me for xray said, if it is osteoarthritis in both hips, something needs to be done, as he thinks it's rapid form of it, usually it would take a few years to get worse or, spread. He was going to prescribe opiods, or something but said as I'm on other meds it would probably react to them.

I do move about, it's more when I'm outside that I need to rest, I think everything is tried before your offered a hip replacement, they said it's degenerative bone desise, one hip I could put up with, yes, painful, in both, I feel like I'm gonna end up useless.

I am currently waiting for a care coordinator from West strand mental health in Preston due to my mental health, as I saw a psychiatrist in December, I've always had mental health issues but played it down till December and was put on quetiepine on top of 45mg of mirtazapine which I was already on. I did feel like commiting suicide other day, it got me really down, other than that I'm OK,

• Posted

Hi Mick.. just like you I have bilateral hip OA and I'm in my 40's . I was 38 when I had my child and started having a pain in my right hip..a few years later my left hip started hurting too. I saw a doctor and thats when I found out. he never referred me to anything apart from pilates classes and to take a supplement. In 2019 I was diagnosed with bilateral knee OA as well to my disbelief! I got use living with this chronic pain but I'm really scared of what is going to happen to me. the thought of having to do so many surgeries in the future, and the disability side its really frightening. I try live each day as best as I can but its always in my mind. I dont take any medicines apart from supplements and not really sure if they help. Pilates helped though .

• Posted

I am really sorry you are experiencing pain . I started having osteoarthritus in 2018, but I was able to walk by myself,now I use a hipbrace. I too am surprised on how fast it progresses, but it is frustrating that docs can only offer cortisone injections. I just wanted to share an exercise I do in hopes it helps your pain,it has mine. I tied resistance bands to the crease of my hips,lay on my back,lift my knee and cross it over opposite leg. I hold this for around15-30 minutes for both legs.

• Posted

dont know when you wrote this but just wanted to nip in and tell you . fight for a replacement.i have osteoarthritis in both hips and have done since i was 30. i had a mri which i had to fight for to find out my hips were like 70 year olds. i then had to fight for anyrhing to be done because i wasnt " THE AGE" to gwt a replacement. thank god i got a good surgeon eventually who said i needed it rwgardless of my age and i got one at 39. - all throughout this i worked as a nurse so was starting to think it eas in my mind .

fast forwards 8 years and i have been fighting with them because it has never been right and i also need my other ine done . i eventually found someone who believed me and sais that i had a ligament hanging iver the replacement and thwt would fix it . then came covid so still waiting .

dont give up because they think tou are to young . ask to see someone else . pain is pain regardless of age . ps im still working as a nurse bur can only manage one day now thwn a day in bed to rwcover

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.