94 year old mum diagnosed with hip arthritis but GP's not really helping

Posted , 1 user is following.

My mum (who lives by herself) was complaining of pain in her legs and lower buttocks for some time but not to the extent that it affected her quality of life in any way at all. I was still able to go for walks with her etc.

We went to see a GP over a year ago and they checked her joints for movement and were surprised how mobile she was at her age and concluded that the discomfort would be "wear and tear". Nothing else was discussed or followed up on.

Around 4 months ago the discomfort was getting more acute and I arranged an appointment with my mum's GP. It was a telephone consultation and based on one question he diagnosed my mum as having arthritis of the hip. Now he is probably right but I had assumed there were some other tests that would confirm this and also help to locate where the arthritis was.

Up until two months ago we were still able to go for walks but suddenly the pain in her legs has gotten very bad very quickly.

In the mornings she is almost bent in half trying to walk. The GP referred her to Occupational Therapy and prescribed her paracetemol (to begin with). The GP again said it was "wear and tear"

I have been given no guidance or advice on how best to help her and I am worried about the GP ready to prescribe Co-Codamol as the next stage in pain management.

Has anyone had experience of this and found other ways of alleviating the pain and stiffness?

Are the side effects from Codeine bad?

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.