Tai-Chi and other balance training for Knee Osteoarthritis and pain.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all, I'm a student Physical Therapist with the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences. Recently, I conducted research on the effects of Tai-Chi and other balancing type training techniques on knee osteoarthritis and pain. The research shows that Tai-Chi, Biodex balancing system, and other proprioceptive training techniques with showed a significant reduction in knee pain, and improved mobility in patients with knee osteoarthritis (KA) of various KA grade levels. I have been working with a patient age 65 and is an avid runner with KA. He'd like to continue to run to some degree and proprioceptive training is helping him to do just that. I've included the references at the bottom of the post and can answer any questions if need be. Thank you!

--> Javed S, Riaz H, Saeed A, Begum R. Effects of biodex balance training on symptomatic knee osteoarthritis in Rawalpindi: A randomized control trial. J Pak Med Assoc. 2021;71(2):402-405. doi:10.47391/jpma.331

--> Hu X, Lai Z, Wang L. Effects of Tai chi exercise on knee and ankle proprioception among individuals with knee osteoarthritis. Res Sports Med. 2019;28(2):268-278. doi:10.1080/15438627.2019.1663520

-->Lin D-H, Lin C-HJ, Lin Y-F, Jan M-H. Efficacy of 2 non-weight-bearing interventions, proprioception training versus strength training, for patients with knee osteoarthritis: A randomized clinical trial. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2009;39(6):450-457. doi:10.2519/jospt.2009.2923

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.