31 yr old with successful gallbladder removal and 1 cm polyp that turned out to be benign

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys, my name’s Kaitlin and I’m 31 yrs old. I’m posting this to give others hope and settle any anxieties for people who are awaiting gallbladder removal. I’m about 3 weeks post op. I had to get a cholecystectomy because of gallstones and a large polyp which had grown 3 mm in 3 yrs to 1 cm. I never had any real gallbladder attacks but this past yr I was feeling extremely bloated and experiencing burning pain where my gallbladder was. I’ve been putting off surgery for 6 hrs due to fear but knew I had to due to the bloating, and not wanting to keep the growing polyp in there. The day after surgery, I was in pain but it was more of an achy pain that was manageable. I didn’t want to take any of the strong pain meds, so I just stuck to extra strength Tylenol and a heating pad, which actually helped a lot. Getting out of bed was a chore but I forced myself to move about and take short walks around my house. I did eat soft foods the first day post op, like potatoes, bananas, toast, apple sauce. Each day I felt stronger, the extreme bloating decreased, and I gradually introduced good fats back into my diet, like salmon and avocado. I know I’m only 3 weeks after the operation, but I honestly feel great! I do still have bloating after I eat something fattening and I have had a little bit of acid reflux but I pretty much feel normal. I haven’t had any diarrhea yet, just soft stools at times. I should also note that I am on Pantoprazole for acid reflux which I was taking prior to my operation and that I have been taking Now Super Enzymes right before eating a meal with fat. I really believe these have helped normalize my digestion. The drs also had to do a pathology on my polyp which turned out to be a benign cholesterol polyp. So if anyone has any sort of polyp, hopefully this eases your worry since mine was on the larger side. I’m not trying to minimize anyone’s bad experiences post gallbladder removal, just trying to help bring light to worriers like myself. Let me know if you have questions since I’m happy to be apart of the no gallbladder sisterhood and I’ll post any questions if something arises 😃

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kaitlin, hope ur well. I just wanted to pick ur brains a little regarding ur situation. I had ultrasound on gallbladder and found a polyp 6mm, I was terrified at first but have since read that most polyps in gallbladder are cholesterol based so hopefully mine is too. Dr didn't find any gallstones though but I've had horrendous pain in right side for last 6 weeks and I'm convinced my gallbladder is diseased or inflamed etc and needs taking out. do u have any advice on pain management other than low fat diet options? Did u have pain pre op?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.