31pebworth ... Home and it's lying awake time!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am home and I just woke up and have the Cryocuff on and hoping the pain and heat will calm down ... The dubious joys of the small hours.

hydrotherapy this morning ... A harder session and can achieve a 90 degree bend on the pool steps. Also about 85 degrees on dry land, full leg extension no problem, stairs tiring but no problem, walking pretty well and today more able yo raise the leg up off the bed which is the thing I find most difficult.

Very encouaging but after only four days of course the heat, swelling, tightness and variety of pain is not much fun. My sciatica is really playing up and worrying me as it was finally easing since my lumbar fusion seven months ago. I am now experimenting either cushions, pillows etc to raise the leg on without also aggravating my back ... Hope I can get back yo sleep soon!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

poor you. i am 3 weeks post op & the tightness, heat & swelling is awful. i found when i first got home,mthe cryocuff was soothing, but i was told not to wear it through the night or to sleep with a pillow under my knee supporting me. i also find the extra strain of my knee, is making my spinal stenosis, sooooo painful. its never ending. i also get about 1-2 hrs sleep a night xx
    • Posted

Hi there Julie how you doing my friend?. I am now 7weeks post op and improving slightly, getting a bit more sleep and the knee is slightly less painful, I seem to have 2good days and 3 bad in a cycle. Still weeping buckets and cursing.myself for having that damn op. knee still feels like its on fire. Have to see my consultant who will obviously sign me off. Onwards and upwards eh? Things have got too get better soon. Take care love from tucks? Managed to get my hair done this week hooray!! Xx
    • Posted

hiya lovely, a bit like yourself really. you would think our knees would be getting easier, but i find, as soon as i do the exercises  & rest  my leg for 5 minutes, its as tight & hotter than ever. i am 3 weeks  3 days now, it feels like years, lol. glad you had your hair do e. you must have felt a bit better, well maybe for a while anyway.  i could still scream my head off  &  cry like a baby all the time.  i have physio on tuesday at 7.30, i had to cancel last week, as i had no1 to take me.  take care sweetie, lots of love & hugs, julie xx
  • Posted

Hi, Glad you are feeling so positive. Your bends are really good. Mine are rubbish since I left hospital but extension and lifting fine. The last two nights have only woken once and feel that is reaaly improving. If I get my sleep I can face anything. I found the back a real problem as it always is but now I rest on the bed when using the laptop and cushions on my recliner for watching tv. I go to physio on Monday so hope to have hydrotherapy then. It wasn't available where I had my op. Clips out on Tuesday. Can't wait to be able to swim again for back and knee. We'll get there. Good luck and happy hobbling.cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hi there I do so symphasise with the night time problems, they are a nightmare. I tried everything to get some sleep, pillows between leg, pillows around my back. Icing, getting in and out of bed nothing worked for I was so tired during the day but couldn't nap because knee was so hot and painful. I am now 7weeks post op, getting around 4hours good sleep and the knee pain is lessening slightly. It's a hard slog, I have done my excersises and my knee bends were 107 and my flexions 100when the pysio discharged me after only  sessions. So I'm good to go, I have been walking around the house without aids since I left hospital. Problem is my knee doesn't want to know, refuses to cool off and give me some peace. I can drive, no problem there but nervous about walking outside on my own. Wish I could give you some good tips, but it appears the body will do whatever it wants and take as much time as it wants. I wish you well things will get better eventually. Take care from tucks
    • Posted

Dear Tucks ... Thank you. When I had the lumbar fusion back in February I was just shell~shocked from the pain and the overwhelming assault of the op ... A four hour op, screws and bolts, disc out, bone grafts etc. this is less of a body shock in that the pain itself is a little more localised, but last night, my first night home was a nightmare of pain, heat and very little sleep. I rang my surgeon this morning who has increased the OxyContin a bit and I am waiting for my back surgeon to suggest what I can do for the constant nerve throbbing in the base of my spine.  Having moaned about all the above, I did have a shower, do my injection, do a reasonable number of exercises, have ice on and off a lot, so lots achieved as well.

Think this is the way the nights are going to be unless the extra bit of painkillers reduces the pain breakthrough ...

• Posted

Hi I think you are right about the nights, they really are tough to get through, but with each night comes morning and please god a better day. I am not religious but will admit I have prayed through my tears most night for morning to come. I can only take 4paracetomol per day because I had problems with stronger pain relief.  It has been very hard to get through. Hope you feel a little better over the coming days tucks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.