32 F with reoccurring shingles since age of 25.....

Posted , 4 users are following.

when i say reoccurring, i'm talking once a month or more sometimes since i was 25.... i have been through a lot of physical pain in my life; shingles is a whole new ball game.... Mentally i break down as soon as i feel that first blister form.... My life during shingles consists of probably 250 mg daily of Tramadol and over 1000 mg of acetaminophen or naproxen or both depending how swollen my groin and hip get.... I get a cluster of blisters on my lower back and a boatload of swelling in the groin and hip, so much that i can't walk.... Please tell me there is something i can do to lessen the frequency because..... no.... sad i can't live my life like this. my doctor is no help as far as what i can do preventative wise. i was told i wasn't a candidate for the Vaccine and taking a daily preventive dose of valcyclovir will put me in the poor house. what else is there? i know i'm immuno compromised because i had a total thyroidectomy done two years ago due to thyroid cancer, but i figured after clearing that up, and being on steady meds and feeling better, that the shingles would be a thing of the past. not so much....... What else can i do?!  And how are all of you chronic blister-ers coping??? I'd love some words of wisdom. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

That sounds very exhausting I'm sorry you're going through this. I just had my first shingles Outbreak on my face and in my eye and I'm 26. I know I am not a physician by any means but I've done a lot of research on shingles and I heard you said being on valacyclovir for maintenance dose will put you in the poor house. I know acyclovir is similar and about 27$ for a month supply of 400mg. which is affordable to me since I have Cystic fibrosis and have $150,000 ! year for scripts so far! thankfully insurance covers most! The hard part is finding a doctor to prescribe you a matienence dose. I know some people who take 400 mg a day for years to subside any herpes zoster outbreaks. I am hoping you get some answers! Maybe a second opinion somewhere?

• Posted

I have significantly decreased the frequency and intensity of my shingles symptoms by diet and supplements. I do not take any prescription meds!! Yeah!! 

The diet is very restrictive, but well worth it!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.