33 M with all LFT's normal but ferritin level at 936

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have been trying to deal with some severe anxiety over the past 3 weeks as I have never had my feritin level checked. Doctor took some blood yesterday to test for HH but I not a single person on my mother or fathers side has ever been diagnosed with this. Has anyone been through something similar?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You're mother and father may only carriers of one gene each which would not cause them to have hemochromatosis. When their genes combined to make yours their two genes combined to give you the mutated gene which causes hemochromatosis. That's usually how it works.

• Posted

so when i get my mums Genetic results back, it should show at the very least that she is a carrier ..right? My father passed away some 41 yrs ago. and no tests were ever taken.
    • Posted

Right. As soon as I was diagnosed I had my daughters tested and they are fine which means their mother was not a carrier.

A simple blood test will tell of you have it.

• Posted

yep no one diagnosed in the past with GH for me either. My mum who will be 87 this year is getting tested for Gh as her bloods all came back ok as have my sons at the moment but my diagnose said i got Genes from both parents? so I am waiing to hear back from my mothers outcome.
  • Posted

Yes, I am going through the same. Although there was never an official diagnosis of relatives, a little research turned up a lot. keep in mind this is still not completely understood. when i meet with my doc he asks me as many questions as i ask him, everyone is trying to figure it out. from my experience, there were four things that really sent me down, besides hereditary, diet, smoking, alcohol and anxiety. i chilled on everything and took the medicine my doc gave me and i was close to normal range a month later. i will have it forever, just have to watch out.
    • Posted

My maiden name was Garrett which is a coincidence, my dad was Welsh and my mum although born in London had a Welsh mum. My mum is 87 but sadly my dad passed within a week ! when he was just 49. He wasn't tested so had no idea that actually turns out he was a carrier as I got my 2 mutants from both parents. I wonder if we're related?

Glad you got on top of your GH now.

• Posted

Hi Garrett82.   So are you saying your doctor gave you medications to reduce your Ferritin levels?  What were your levels and how does the medicine work?  I think most people get blood drawn (phlebotomy) to lower the levels.  Wondering if the medicine was a better solution

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.