Skip to content
Ad

Haemochromatosis

Also known as Iron Overload

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Low ferritin, celiac, and hemochromatosis revealed??

Ok, so need some advice. Two months ago my ferritin levels were rock bottom, 3 and 2 respectively. my iron  panel ( non fasting) revealed: Total iron: 12  TIBC :413 Saturation: 3 ( see reference ranges below- they're the same) Suspected celiac as a result of this iron deficiency anemia...

Last reply
  • Lab results left me confused

Hello all - I have not yet been diagnosed with hemochromatosis.  I am hoping to get some advice from those who have personal experience with it.  I am a 33 year old female.  I have been having nerve and joint issues in my upper extremities, irregular periods, fatigue, headaches and dizziness...

Last reply
  • Alcohol

My husband has just been diagnosed with hemochromatosis.  I’ve noticed for a while that his alcohol tolerance has lessened.  He is only a social drinker, maybe goes out every couple of weeks but Before he would have a few pints of beer and be fine but now he seems to be getting drunk very...

Last reply
  • Should I be tested?

I have been suffering from chronic fatigue for the past year or so. I have an underactive thyroid which is being treated. I also have low B12 and Vit D. However my iron results from recent bloods were the following: Serum iron 33.3 (5.8-34.5 umol/L) Serum Transferrin 2.53 (2.0-3.6 g/L) TIBC 57.56 (44.8-71.6...

Last reply
  • Maybe premature.....

I have a lot of symptoms of the Haemochromatosis. Recently had a panel done but I only know the ferretin and transferrin saturation values - Ferretin 176 and Trans is 50%. They will retest shortly. By the look of it the saturation is a little high but not mega but Ferretin is normal.....would this even...

Last reply
  • Low Haemoglobin

I have just returned from hospital where I was to have my second venesection, but when the result of the blood test came through, ( while I waited ) I was told my haemoglobin was too low and I would have to come back next week and hope my body had recovered. The haemoglobin reading was 120 and it needed...

Last reply
  • Blood tests

Hi. Newbie here. I recently had some blood tests done. I went to docs complaining of stomach pain like period pains (which I don't have anymore) and constipation. All of the results came back normal except for iron which is 809. I am being retested in 6 weeks. They have said that those levels might...

Last reply
  • Carrier with C282Y Gene & High Ferritin

I have Genetic HH and my children have been tested and don't have both genes.  My daughter who recently had blood tests had a ferritin level of 479 and carries the C282Y gene.  Is it possible that she could have HH.?  She has symptoms that resemble those of HH.     

Last reply
  • Waiting for gene test and not sure if I might have H

Hi,  I’m new here.  I got my blood work done and my test came back Iron 22 Iron bonding capacity unsaturated 18 Iron saturation  0.55 Ferritin 692 (up from 617.  5 months ago). I have a parent that has HH.    Is it possible I have it also?  I have to wait another 5...

Last reply
  • Milkthistle

Does anyone know if there is any benefit from taking milkthistle,worried about liver damage.

Last reply
  • Huge drop in ferritin

Hey guys, I’m glad there is a forum to ask these questions since my doctors aren’t always there!  I was diagnosed a couple of months ago, and was given 4 phlebotomy sessions to do in the last month. My ferritin had previously climbed from 450 to 560 to 630. Then after the 4 phlebotomies I am at...

Last reply
  • No treatment?

I’m increasingly feeling bad. Fatigue, out of breath, can’t think, etc.. my saturation is 88%, Ferritin 98, and TBIC is 219.  I cant find a doctor to treat this. They say it’s not bad and that I should not be having any symptoms with these levels. I’ve been tested positive for hemp. 

Last reply
  • Hemochromatosis carrier, what does this mean?

Hello, I am a 35 year old female. I recently went to the doctor for fatigue and abdominal pain. My labs came back showing my iron at 195 mcg/dl and my saturation at 59%.  The doctor tested me for hemochromatosis, told me I was a carrier and referred me back to my regular physician for monitoring....

Last reply
  • Fatigue if B12 below 550?

After a year of fortnightly venesections my Hb is 136 and my ferritin is about 100(it was 136 a month ago). The fatigue is little,if any,better. I keep reading that you can have fatigue issues if your B12 is below 550.Mine was 294 two years ago,which my GP considers to be all right as it is within range.However,being...

Last reply
  • Ectopic heartbeat

Hi, Having just been diagnosed with type 1 Hereditary Haemochromatosis, I'm wondering if it could be the reason I have the problem with my heart, I've got a heart monitor fitted and it's checked every 6 months, but no-one seems to know what's wrong. Has anyone else experienced anything...

Last reply
  • HFE Heterozygote and Niacin

Hi All, I’ve decided to make this post in hopes that it may help someone avoid a complication that I experienced. Background: In 2008 after routine blood work my GP called me in “STAT” because of elevated LFT’s. AST-1538, ALT-831. At the time I was taking Niacin 2000mg/day for high cholesterol for about...

Last reply
  • haemoglobin

Tomorrow should be the day for my weekly venesection, but this afternoon the hospital phoned to say my hb is too low and they will look at a second blood test in three weeks and see if the letting can begin. Can any one tell me what a normal range is? Today hb 1s 114. Will my iron spike because I am...

Last reply
  • Back again

Hi,me again, got comfirmation today,I am 'homozygote CYS282' . I have been looking this up and it just confuses me with different types. Can someone explain this please in lay-mans terms,and the differences aswell please.

Last reply
  • Haematology appt in Nov

Hi All Just received appt to see haematologist next month after being diagnosed with HH in Sept I wondered if they also take blood whilst I am there or is it just to discuss treatment?  Did ask my GP but she wasn’t sure if they blood let whilst I’m there or not

Last reply
  • Hemachromatosis H63 D

Hi.. i was just diagnosed with this as a carrier with high ferritin levels. Does anyone have this and can tell me what to expect? Thank you

Last reply
  • venesection in thailand

Hi all i have just been diagnosed with hemochromatosis  yesterday hospital actually have known for 16 months but did not do a follow up and forgot to inform me in the  heamotology department  of my local uk hospital    anyway im due to fly to thailand traveling in 4 weeks time...

Last reply
  • Low Serum Ferritin, Very High Serum Iron ?!?!

I'm 48 years old and have been vegetarian for 25 years.  After 2 years of mild but persistent stomach pain and an abdominal ultrasound that came out clean, I got extensive blood labs again and found that my Serum Ferritin was low (28, with a normal range of 30-400) but my Serum Iron was very...

Last reply
  • new to all this.....

Hi,not been officially diagnosed but consutant seems pretty sure,my iron levels are 2000,I had first venesection last friday morning and by the afternoon felt awful,I felt drunk and really out of it and unbelievably tired which continued all the following day. Sunday felt quite alot better. is all this...

Last reply
  • Awaiting official diagnosis, what do I eat??

I recently had routine bloods done which showed my iron and ferratin levels across the board drastically point towards haemochromatosis. My bloods a year ago we're completely normal, but my most recent panel had my GP really confused and worried. He's advised getting a repeat panel and genetic...

Last reply
  • Iron overload

Hey everyone, newbie here with a few questions. I don't have HH but my ferritin is high. Back in June I was anemic so I received a course of 6 iron infusions. Afterward my ferritin tested at 350. I am female with premature meno. Anyway about a week later, starting in July, I started having steady...

Last reply
  • am i the only hh person with skin rash?

I'm 47, had symptoms since at least last summer, eventually got diagnosed in Jan this year, but can only get to see haematologist in June. Main symptoms fatigue, very itchy rash on neck and lack of sensation on neck skin, depression, joint and muscle pain. It takes a whole week to recover from one...

Last reply
  • Ferritin raised by alcohol?

I have been having venesections for a year and started off 1,000+. I know the amount ferritin goes down reduces as you approach maintenance but it has only gone down by 10 the last few times,15 before that. I went on holiday recently and wondered if the extra alcohol consumption coupled with my...

Last reply
  • Normal live function with cirrhosis

I've been told that I have cirrhosis of the liver but that my liver and all other organs are functioning normally.  I do not have any symptoms of any kind. It was suspected I had cancer, but that has been ruled out.  My hematologist has referred me back to my gastroenterologist for further...

Last reply
  • Work

I have HH and hAve venesection every 3 months but I go in the morning and take the day off work because I feel so tired after and I go straight to bed,my question is work are questioning it,I never said I had it in my interview for fear of nor getting job (I work in a school kitchen)can they sack me...

Last reply
  • My friend just died

Hello, I was recently informed that my dear friend of 50 years just passed away suddenly.  38 years years ago he had a kidney transplant and he has been doing very well with his transplant for the 38 years.  His one transplanted kidney (from his brother) kept his blood work normal all these...

Last reply
  • Any help

I showed my friend my test results and she said my iron levels are far to high, any help?  Tsh 0.02 mIU/L range 0.4-5.0 Free t4 24 pmol/L range 9-19 Urea 2.1 mil/L range 2.5-7.8 Total protein 77g/l range 60-80 Albumin 43g/l range 35-50 Globulin 34g/l range 20-35 Total bilirubin 8umol range 0-22...

Last reply
  • Iron blood work......worried

Hi all. This was my iron blood results Total iron 199 (high) Iron binding 401 Saturation 50% Ferritin 41 Do i have hemochromatosis ? Im only in my early 30s and this is all too much for me to handle 🙁 as i was recently diagnosed with another disease😢

Last reply
  • High transferrin saturation% but normal ferritin

I have been feeling poorly for a few years but able to deal with it (abdominal pain, nausea), but I really became concerned about a year and a half ago when I became so fatigued and lost all stamina.  I'm mid 40's and was used to exercising 5 times a week (an hour of stationary bike plus...

Last reply
  • What do they class as dangerous ferritin level

can anybody put some light on this I've had 14 venesections levels started at 739 after 14 venesection my level at 710 the lowest it's went down is to 473 very depressing keeps going up I go every fortnight, when I was there a lady was in and she said she had lost 2 family members to this I would...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.