Food for haemochromatosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have a diagnosis of haemachromatosis c282y hereditary with a serum ferritin of 1389 ive started venesection but would like to know what i can do

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

From what I've been told (and have read):

Cut down on red meat.

Avoid breakfast cereals with supplemented iron.

Drink tea/coffee/milk with meals.

Avoid drinking alcohol with meals.

Avoid large doses of vitamin C with meals.

• Posted

I had similar levels in march. doctor did genetic test. I gave up red meat and white meat, fortified cereals, decreased my bread consumption(only eat wholegrain )avoided fruit juices completely and drink a cup of green tea with every meal. Cut out alcohol completely and lost 8 kilos in weight, my bmi is now mid level on nhs recommended levels. Eat 2 portions of fish a week.

Have never smoked.

Genetic test came back C282Y homozygous in june, started weekly venesections and first ferritin level was 600 and is now at 114 after 14 full unit venesections with a CRP of around 4.

For me altering diet has been hugely important.

People say you need to keep eating meat whilst having venesections to avoid becoming anemic, I have foods rich in folic acid and B vitamins and haemoglobin has never been less than 127.

This has worked for me, hope all is going well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.