High iron levels?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I been trying to figure out what is wrong with me as I suffer with a list of issues that I thought I had a "autoimmune" illness as I had a + 7-8yrs ago. But the DR tested me again it was - however she noticed my blood was showing high levels of iron? I don't take supplements so the nurse was going to let her know, I have a follow up the 31st. My problems are

-Cardiovascular (arrhythmia, chest pains, horrible shortness of breath, sometimes pain when breathing)

-Gastrointestinal (day's I get diarrhea, or constipation, nausea, lack of appetite, dull/pains in my prancreas right area)

-Joint (over the year's my left wrist was affected sometimes it flares up & I can't move it just hurts so bad, now my right wrist is affected, I had random episodes over years of achy joints but now my neck/spine affected I get pains in them can't look down too much, my ankles sometimes feel swollen and hurt, bascially my joint pain is worse than ever I can barely workout like I use too as any wrong movement I feel like I hurt my bones)

-Muscle (I get a lot of leg cramps, working out always cause abnormal swelling & pain than usual, I have had what felt like sciatic nerve issues)

-Mental (I have anxiety and after being sexualy assaulted as well as depression BUT it's different. All of sudden since Feb it's scary and different like something trigger it on a different level I know many illnesses can do this)

-Cognitive (my memory is so impaired now I can literally forget what I am talking about in seconds, mind confusion and fog)

-Reproductive (low sex drive not solely my sexual assault I been this way for the longest, irregular periods, abnormally painful , painful ovulations, sex can be uncomfortable, I also suffer from cysts, random pelvis pains) I am STD/STI free btw also my pap was normal.

Now for general symptoms

-abnormal exhaustion

-thick/curving nails

-weird surges like of adrenaline/tingling

-always hungry

-peeing a lot

-vertigo

-always feeling light headed get faint spells

- get these what feels like a heart burn in rib but not and makes it difficult to breathe in normally lasts several seconds but the other day lasted all day

-I have symptoms of hyperthyroidism /hypothyroidism

-episodes of increase thirst, cotton mouth.

-sensitivity to cold

-hand tremors sometimes

-hands or feet go numb sometimes

-hair thinning/shed hair easily

-back pains

-headaches (like migraines or in my eye get burning sharp pains in head)

-difficulty swallowing

-can't swallow pills

The list goes on....

Many of those I had for year's just got worse or developed.

Could all this be related to Hemochromatosis? As I know many are. Better yet, is Hemochromatosis the cause of my high iron levels? If not what other illnesses cause high levels of iron and relate to my issues?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I forgot, I get bruises all over for no reason.
    • Posted

Hi,

All you have written could be me! I have, or have had all that you mention. I was diagnosed with Haemochromotosis last year ferritin 950, which is now down to 215 with fortnightly venesection. I am improving, but the worst has been the anxiety, depression and ongoing palpatations. Good luck hope you get sorted.

• Posted

For me it's been the "joint" "cardiovascular" "mental" problems but everything else is quite a bothersome. I thought it was Autoimmune and had her retest as 7/8yrs ago I had exhaustion through roof and difficulty slight joint aches he suspected Autoimmune it came up + but when my current Dr tested again it was - . then she told me about my iron levels I looked into Hemochromatosis I was like whoa this sounds like autoimmune , a lot of the symptoms match my list and I am like my iron levels are high too? Maybe this is what is going on. But I am worried dead because I been having the worse cardiovascular problems ever I developed these issues past 2-3 yes but it's worse this year and as of this week I feel like a fish out of water with chest pains and pain in rib making it hard to breathe like a bad heartburn accept in rib. My anxiety took a scary turn this year I felt crazy at times! Like a surge of paranoia and adrenaline surges I am like no this isn't normal ..... But def having her look into Hemochromatosis as it can affect the organs I am really concerned about my heart etc. Glad to see someone relates! BTW I am 25

• Posted

I have just recently been diagnosed and Im 62 female. But 90% of your list could be my list. Ask for the genetic testing. I know many of those symptoms could go with several conditions but the hemochromotosis test is easy to know for sure.
  • Posted

I've had an autoimmne disease (Hasimoto's) for 20 years and now I have Hemochromatosis. Some of the same symptoms you have also.

• Posted

I assumed Autoimmune because 7-8yrs ago I tested + on my ANA but this DR did the test it came back - but I read that happens you do have a AI but idk I have a follow up the 31st
  • Posted

I'm going through a similar situation. I've had tremendous joint pain for some time and decided to get it checked. I thought I had rheumatoid arthritis but my bloodwork came back as everything normal except all my iron levels were off. Doc said I might have hemochromatosis, may have Lyme disease too. Just had more blood work done and I'm waiting again...worrying too... I gave up googling because it made me worry about every disease under the sun. Just wait and see what the doc says!!

• Posted

i can relate to all your symptoms it has been so frustrating trying to figure out what has been going on .

Iron serum 192

Ferritin (my Dr did not order)

B12 1400

slightly decreases number in White blood cells

MCV 100.5

red blood, hemoglobin, hematocrit normal

i have been referred to a hemotologist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.