33, Started HRT 4 weeks ago and I feel anxious, help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI Ladies. Hoping to find some support. Recently diagnosed with PMDD. Been presecribed Oestradil 3 pumps daily, progesterone for first seven days of the month and daily pea sized testosterone.

My main symptoms were anxiety, depression and ocd remunerating thoughts. 10 days before my cycle, and tail end. On an antidepressant called amitryptiline too. I have been prescribed this by a doctor at prof studds office in london. He reckons it takes three months to work. I'm not menopausal as this started when I was about 27. I found that the testosterone gave me bags of energy, and I felt great on day 1 and 2 but three weeks on and i'm always anxious. Atleast before I had 7 -10 days of normal me, but now I have a constant undercurrent of anxiety. I Went back and was told that it will work but not for three months? I Need the advice of all you wise ladies. I Need mothering LOL. I don't think this will get any better? Has anyone experineced this? Please tell me it gets better lol. All advice is welcome ! The things we have to go through hey. lots of love xxxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hiya

i went to see Proffesor Studd too last year.

i actually could not tolerate what he prescribed.

When i took the progesterone i felt very very down.

I tried to do as he said for 18 months but now im on combined patches prescribed by my gp and feel so much better

jacqui x

• Posted

18 Months wow, you stuck it out for a while. glad you have found something that works for you. xx

• Posted

How complicated. 3 pumps daily - does that mean you have to rub it on your skin 3 times a day? - abdomen best for oestrogen.

I know the anxiety and depression caused by insufficient oestrogen - its horrible. However, that only occurs for me when my pellet runs out - then I revert to patches, and if I forget to apply one on the correct day and time.

It was worse when my dr said I should take progesterone as well for 'balance' when I did not really need it (had hysterectomy). It threw everything out of balance, and when I discovered (after lots of reading) that it was the progesterone I told my dr I am not taking it again, producing my evidence. However, because you still have a uterus, you will have to use progesterone. Try a very small amount, and build up to what you need to work just nicely.

The UK seems keen on prescribing testosterone to women. It is not allowed in Australia. Even difficult for men to get it unless it has been prescribed by a urinologist or endcrinologist. This is to prevent body builders having easy access and destroying their health, and acting with anger. Whether we are behind or ahead may be debatable!

Test for Vitamin B12 - a deficiency in this causes neurological problems. My husband was found to be unable to absorb B12 from food and tablets. He went through 2 years of serious depression (he had very bad reactions to antidepressants) until his dr thought of B12. He is now on maintenance of 1 injection every 3 months, starting with weekly injections. He came home humming!!! After a while, I thought I want some of that. Although my B12 levels are within the normal range, it still provides some wellbeing for me.

Vit D is also a problematic vitamin (really a hormone). I don't absorb Vit D even though I live in the tropics, nor from food, nor tablets. Finally my dr twigged and told me to buy a practitioners brand of Vit D3 forte drops. It made an incredible difference to my levels.

Good luck with it all and I hope you find something that is good for your wellbeing. After all we should not have to go through what our grannies did.

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for replying.

I am prescribed only oestrogen and testosterone daily. It gives me constant anxiety. Like my face and throat feel hot and stressed out, like my thyroid gland is on overdrive. My hormones were normal on blood tests before this. I think I actually felt more blanaced when I take the progesterone for the 7 days. Spoke to gynae yesterday, he wants me to stick it out for another 2 months. As if 3 months is the magic number. He also said in the same breathe that if I feel more comfy taking progestin too, then to just do that. He is so confusing. I defo have more energy and am sleeping better, but I am anxious and feeling more paranoid. where as before my paranoia and ocd only kicked in around my period.... Will try and stick it out another month. Frustrating that the gynae thinks it will magically start working?! Im due to go on the progestin from the 1st -7th of every month, so will really take note of how I feel. If it's better, I will stay on the three of them.

He also said that I may need to see a psychiatrist to get a better antidepressant to counter act the anxiety. They might aswell turn me into a walking talking medicine dispenser. ffs lol.

Lets hope I find something that works.

p.s yep three pumps plus the tostesterone on my thighs not my abdomen he said. I Also realised I have grown so much hair in those areas. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.