33 with lung age 58 COPD

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I am 33 years old and 6 moths ago I was diagnosed with COPD Chronic Bronchitis and Asthma after sudden constant breathlessness, even just going up stairs or putting the hoover round makes me breathless.

I have been put on Sprivia and Fostair which keeps it at bay but the Sprivia seems to not be working as well lately.

My specilalist was not very good so have asked for a second opinion. My chest xray showed over inflation of my lungs and a CT scan revealed scarring of the bronchial tubes. 

I am going to attamept to attach my spirometry results so if anyone could offer any advice that would be great. Thanks.

3 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I suffered a bout or breathlessness around 3 years ago when I was a tobacco and pot smoker - was told at the time (I was 48) that I had the lungs of an 85 year ‎old. My mum also had asthma. Despite this, I have only had 2 exacerbations in 3 years that I think were due to smoking a mixture of tobacco and dope - I play tennis regularly, work doing a lot of lifting and walk a lot. No issues climbing stairs. In fact recently scaled the Monument in London without any issues. I have recently stopped smoking pot completely and stopped taking any medication. And in the past 2 weeks have not had any issues. Mainly stopped as I am concerned about possible side effects of the forstair inhaler. Recently saw the nurse at the copd clinic and she said there had been no change in my lungs in the past 3 years. I would appreciate any views on this as I can't understand why I do not seem to have any major issues with mobility unless I suffer from asthma and not copd. Also, the ventolin inhaler did work when I smoked, but don't use it at present as don't need to. Is the GP surgery just trying to scare me? Would appreciate any views. 
    • Posted

Hello Steven, I think it's great that you don't need any medication now, with out mine just doing my shoe laces up makes me breathless.

One thing that i have learned Is that there are no set rules to copd.

It also depends on what type of copd you have as asthma itself classes as copd now i believe.

I don't think your gp is out to scare you, maybe they just didn't go into enough detail with you regards to your condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.