33M Same E.Coli infection since February... 5 rounds of abx... Still going... Starting to lose hope.

Posted , 4 users are following.

33/Male - Height: 6' Weight: 380lbs - USA

Conditions: Obesity, Hypertension, Multiple Sclerosis (untreated)

Medications:

Esomeprazole 40Mg,

Losartan 100Mg,

Fexofenadine 180Mg,

Cranberry 300 Mg(4 a day)

D-Mannose Capsules (6g a day)

Allergies: Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Ceclor,

Have had a UTI since mid February that just seems to keep lingering despite treating it with susceptible antibiotics from the culture test. >100,000 CFU E.Coli. It causes my urethra to burn, urine to leak out throughout the day, urine to smell, and my MS symptoms to flare up.

First round - Urgent Care - Ciprofloxacin - 7 Days @ 500Mg Twice a day

About a week after finishing the cipro, I was retested and the infection was still present.

Second round - PCP Doctor - Nitrofurantoin - 5 Days @ 100Mg Twice a Day

Two weeks later: Burning feeling when urinating has returned, Back has been sore, but it seems to be related to exercising pretty hard the past few days (Movement and just random pings of pain).

Third Round while waiting for urologist - PCP Doctor - 7 days Nitrofurantoin @10Mg twice daily.

Urologist retested and the infection was still present.

Fourth Round - Urologist - 7 days of 2x 500Mg Cipro.

After this failed, I was referred to infectious diseases. He ended up putting me on 14 days of Cipro that I'm on right now.

Fifth Round - Infectious Disease Dr - 14 Days of 2x 500 Mg Cipro

This is what he put on my patient care summary that was sent over to my urologist:

"This is a difficult situation for Mr. Vascht since he was just diagnosed with MS and may need immunosuppressed therapy. His E-coli UTI has been resistant to oral antibiotic therapy. There may be colonization of the urinary tract with E-coli which is likely to lead to recurrent infections. The e-coli isolate is already resistant to three antibiotic classes and is very likely to acquire more resistance with further treatments. I wonder if the presence of the kidney stones are acting as a focus for infection. I doubt suppressive therapy will work for him and there are no available suitable antibiotics. I discussed with him further attempts at eradicating infection ie. Cipro x2 weeks (prescribe today) or the future possibility of ceftriaxone desensitisation with subsequent IV therapy for 2 weeks. He will discuss with his urologist the potential need for treatment of kidney stones."

I went back to the Urologist and he said that my stones showed up on scans as early as 10 years ago and he didn't see a need to remove them as part of my infection...

I'm really starting to get scared. I feel like I'm running out of options and I'll probably never be able to start MS treatment because it will just make this stuff worse. My anxiety has already been through the roof with that diagnosis and now it's starting to look like this UTI is going to be the end of me.

Here's the VITEK Susceptibility test results. These haven't really changed since the initial infection:

AMPICILLIN >=32 RES

AMPICILLIN/SULBACTAM >=32 RES

CEFAZOLIN ⇐4 SUSC

CEFEPIME ⇐1 SUSC

CIPROFLOXACIN 0.5 SUSC

GENTAMICIN >=16 RES

NITROFURANTOIN ⇐16 SUSC

PIPERACILLIN/TAZOBAC ⇐4 SUSC

TOBRAMYCIN 8 INT

TRIMETH-SULFAMETHOXAZOLE >=320 RES

CEFTRIAXONE NON CSF ⇐1 SUSC

MEROPENEM ⇐0.25 SUSC

CEFOXITIN ⇐4 SUSC

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i have a product i used to cure my own UTI

I have being battling with vagina infection for years. Tired different treatments all to no avail. But today with a Chinese product I am free. If you will like to know the product and purchase it. Drop your comments.

• Posted

have you tried Hiprex tablets? I live in Australia and we can get them over the counter at the chemist here. In big bottles there about $40. you can take them long term. But don’t take them with antibiotics. Apparently the Hiprex make your urine acidic and change the environent into formeldahyde which sounds a bit awful but it does work. Don’t take the urinary alkaliser with them though. Works better with vitamin C or cranberry tablets Hope this helps take care x

ps also get an applicator and insert organic Aloe Vera into your bottom ! or of you dont want to do that in your vagina . it works temporarlily anyway

• Posted

UTI is curable, if it was not then doctors would not stop trying to find out what works for your body system in particular. Everybody is different have faith, and keep trying but my advice is to try something and stick to that instead of constantly changing medications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.