35 yrs drinkin

Posted , 9 users are following.

Started boozing at 13. About 34 yrs ago. Always been a way of life here in Australia starting young. I was a successfull student and went to the gold mines in the outback. Good idea at the time but in hindsight deing surrounded by drinkers all day everyday didnt work out so well. As time goes on we lose ppl friends family through death and self medicate. Lots of suicide and not understanding why. Alcohol has always been my friend through good and bad times. Its seems more so now that its a constant painful acuaintance than a friend. If uour need for booze outweighs your relationships with friends family partners then a problem exsists. I have spent endless money on treatment courses phycs etc but still in the same predicament. Id just like to say that you can keep trying and not give into the evil of this addiction. I feel your pain. If AA dosnt work whick it didnt for me over several tears there has to be an alternative. And its not a liver transplant. Stay strong ppl and know this battle is long and arduous. Im still confident i can win and hold onto that belief.cheers Ben

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I feel the honesty and pain in your words. We have all been there and done it in our own way. Its hard because the rational part of our brains know that we dont want it but also there is a part that tells us its fine.

To be fair i would consider meds if you havent tried before. I am personally thinking that this might be the right course for me too after a lot of attempts to not drink and stop altogether. Its sounds like you have tried a lot of other ways so maybe this is the way forward. 

Its great you have come on to here. There is lots of support. Just any time you need to talk come on and someone will always be there. take care and keep in touch x

• Posted

You nailed it Sharon. We're literally of two "minds" about it, one isn't so taken with it while the other has fallen in love with it. Unfortunately, the two parts don't communicate that well and the majority of drinkers can't seem to get the problem to budge. 

• Posted

Thanks Shaton. Lots of ppl look for help but it just isnt there. I feel lucky to have made 47 yrs and lived a good life. I want to change but if some youngsters read what i have put down ots not wasted spce. Appreciatte your reply x
    • Posted

That's when campral works. It literally after a week alters your brain and you suddenly realise you've not thought about drink for a while. It's difficult to explain to someone whose not experienced it. RHGB will explain it better. My simple view is that it alters your brain or resets it so you don't think about drink. Worked for me, and I drink socially now.

• Posted

That's wonderful, Vickylou! How long were you taking Campral? 

• Posted

No it's not wasted space at all.  I have got to my sixties after drinking more or less daily for 40+ years and don't really know how I have made it this far.  I have little in the way of health issues and not sure how I have managed it.

My doc just referred me when I confessed my little secret - never heard of TSM etc.  I have no idea how I got on the this Patient forum but so glad I did.  You have loads to live for, you just need a lil ole help from the peeps on here to point you forwards - then it is onwards and upwards.

Take care.

• Posted

Well, you have dropped in, two major clues in your posts; chronic liver disease and liver transplants.

Care to expand on those points?

• Posted

Umm drinking. Thought i mentioned that. My brother died from liver failure at 34. Different forum maybe. Forgive me
    • Posted

How do you reply to that? Ive been to AA over here and some ppl get up to speak about having drank for a year. Strange stuff
    • Posted

And lucky to have made 47 and had a good life.

If you could give us a bit more info, how much are you drinking, have you been hospitalised, have you spoken to Drs, counsellors etc?

The more we know, the more we can advise

• Posted

Sorry, the above post was aimed at Ben and not RHGB (mind you he's not 47, years older haha!)

• Posted

Listen granny, at 51, I am younger than you.
    • Posted

I meant, have you beed diagnosed with ALD and do you have cirrhosis. Plus, has a liver transplant been discussed with you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.