36 year-old male with oral hpv

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, hope everybodys doing good. This ones kinda tricky and I'm not really sure how to proceed but here goes.

Last November, my girlfriend and I had sex for the first time, and we've been together 4 years before we decided to go ahead with it. We havent done anything since, but just one month after, she received her pap smear, telling her that she had contracted hpv. Now I've always been on top of STDs, even getting regularly tested, even back when when I was single. HPV had never really crossed my mind much, as I always regarded it as something that men weren't affected with much, which is really stupid on my part. I only recently discovered what HPV really is, what it causes, and that it affects men just as much as women. The real kicker came w he n I read about the cancer bit, which obviously is not very pleasant to read about. Making it even worse was the fact that she had contracted it, and that I now most likely had it too. The worst part was just this February, I developed a sore throat on only the left side, earache on the left side, and, fatigue. For awhile, that was all, and I went to urgent care, where they said I had pharyngitis and gave me amoxicillin which did no good. Another trip to a regular doctor did even less good when she told me she saw nothing and not to worry. Now since then, I have ear aches in both ears, a still irritated to sore throat, all the.lymph nodes in my neck are swollen, I have small raised bumps on the back of my tongue and throat, fatigue and I just dont feel like myself. I'm really sick of not getting answers and I sure dont want cancer(who does?), and what's worse, men cant even get checked for it. Right now I'm at a loss of what to even do or how to proceed. If somebody has tackled this issue themselves before. I'd really like to know. I'm nervous about the cancer, especially every time I look at the bumps, which I might as well call warts. Really frustrated and despaired about how to move forward. I still love my girlfriend and it doesnt change how we feel about each other, but I would love to know who I can see to check this out if I can, because I'm so freaking tired of being given false info. If anyone can help me, I'd be incredibly grateful. Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

the bumps at the back of the tongue are called papillae an everyone has them hpv would not cause symptoms u wouldnt know u had it until u developed pre cancerous cells or cancer which can occur if u have had contact with a high strain hpv so for example a sore or spot in your mouth that bleeds and does not heal etc and penile cancer ...and in most cases hpv does not cause any issues at all and your immune system fights it off it can cause cancer but not in all cases .. genital warts are a low strain of hpv they do not cause cancer ideally u would need to know if she has a high risk strain or a low risk strain as there are over 100 strains of hpv not all cause cancer

• Posted

your symptoms sound like that of a bacterial throat infection and not hpv

• Posted

Thanks you so much Kim, I greatly appreciate your time and input. I had talked with my girlfriend about it, and she has a pap smear in a week, so she'll have them check then. Like seriously, thanks for taking the time to post your reply. Really means a lot😄I hope you and yours are doing great as well.

I did have one quick question though, if that's alright. I had rectal bleeding over a day ago, and a little bit of abdominal pain, but nothing since then. My mom's side has a lot of digestive issues, but no history of cancer. Since the bleeding only happened once, is it alright to just wait to see if it happens again before I need to see a gastrointestinal doctor? Bowels have always been irregular to a degree, and never had it happen before. Thanks so much again 😊

Robert

• Posted

regardless as to if it happens again any bleeding rectally needs investing it could be many things from internal hemmorhoids to bowel cancer not trying to scare u or anything as i said alot of things can cause it

• Posted

kim i think i need your advice! wtf do you think this is ? just noticed it the other day and it seems to have maybe got smaller but still there any ideas ? image

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.