36 years old and raised bp, don't know what to do.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm a 36 year old female, I'm 5'6 and weigh 13 stone. I'm worried because I've had raised bp for at least 5 years, I monitor it at home and it's usually between 140/90 - 156/105.

I hate going to the dr, and my bp is always worse there. Last time I went was 2 years ago and they wanted to fit a bp monitor to me for 24 hours to see what it's like at home but I refused. At the time I was really stressed because I had microscopic haematuria (blood in urine). My dr bullied me into having a cystoscopy for this, the results were negative. I haven't been back to the dr since then.

I know I need to lose weight but I'm wondering if this will be enough to lower my bp, or could I have an underlying kidney problem?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My love...let's get with the program...I would bet the first thing you do in the morning is NOT to go for a long brisk walk!  It's your life...do you want to slowly enjoy life less and less until you develop joint problems, or diabetes, or kidney problems as you  feared!  You're obviously no dummy...and thanks to the miraculous bodies we inhabit, all the bad we do to ourselves can be reversed...starting almost immediately...start a modest exercise program...put less  in your mouth....and you'll start to see how wonderful life can be...it's really unbelievable how good a human being can feel....IF...you do the right thing. It's not easy to start, so I'll get a little rough and tell you right now....put the donuts and the chips in the garbage....or you're on a fast track to the obituary column!!
    • Posted

Thank-you for your comment, however I would like to say that I walk twice a day every day for between 30-60 mins. I do need to adjust what I eat, but I do feel I'm on the right track having lost a stone so far this year. Of course I want to keep improving upon this, and hope that it feel help lower my bp.
  • Posted

Hi, if I were you I would make another doctors appointment , try another doctor in your practice, there is help out there.
    • Posted

Sadly there are no doctors at my current practice, they seem unable to recruit any so we're stuck with 2 locum doctors.
  • Posted

It's very rare for an underlying condition to be found as a cause of high BP and they don't want to spend money testing for it.

I would try dieting and exercise for a while to see it it comes down. You obviously know or can google the things to cut out of your diet. I read somewhere that regular swimming can bring down your weight by a pound a week. I doesn't seem to wortk for my wife who swims for about 4 1/2 hours a week!

I record my BP readings and give them to my doctor. A 24 hour monitor to me is just as big a cause of my BP going up as having it taken at the surgery or hospital.

In fact my doctors receptionist sometimes phones to say that it has not been taken for some time and the doctor knows that I record it and can I give her a reading.   

• Posted

Thank-you for your comment. I think part of the thing that panics me, besides just being at the doctors, is that tightening feeling when the bp cuff grips my arm...I know it's silly but I'm sure that elevates the reading.

The last thing I want is to be put on medication for high bp without having first ruled out any possible underlying cause and I worry this is a real problem, as like you say, doctors don't want to spend money testing for things.

I'm going to keep a regular check on my bp at home and think I'll do as you suggest and see how my bp is when I've lost a couple of stone.

• Posted

Hi Moomin78, Sounds like you know what you have to do as unless you go back to the GP (locum or not)you will not get any answers .. and High Bp left to it'sown devices is a killer. So you have to take it seriously ... but you can be in control of it. Go to the GP and get the 24hr monitor ... from that they can help you decide the right treatment ... but if you do nothing you could end up with not only kidney problems but heartproblems or strokes. It is up to you what happens next ..it is your life.

For me it was a shock to find I had high BP but I took control and now I feel better than I have in years.So take that first step ... and get yourself checked out smile

Good luck

• Posted

Howhigh was your BP and what is it now?
    • Posted

Average was 220/110 - once on first 4 different tablets it came down to the 170/100 mark. Then diagnosed with Primary Hyperaldosterism, put on Spirolactone and it was 118/75 at my last review smile I did take charge and changed diet, level of activity and cut out as much sodium as possible. Now I realise how serious I need to take it and it is down to me as this is for life- and it is MY life - time to love myself smile
    • Posted

You were fortunate that the Hyperaldosterism was diagnosed. Most patients don't get a full investigation. I'm going to a renal unit in two weeks after 14 years of hypertension. I had some kidney tests previously that did not show anything but this will be a more thorough investigation
    • Posted

Think my GP felt guilty for not investigating for nearly one month after initial reading. Also no previous BP history (except very low when teenager) and resistant to 3 or more drugs all at maximum dosage ... had lots of CT's and bloods and 24hr urine tests, all showing nothing until final test ha to be sent off to London and that showed problems. Took over a year but I know I am very very lucky to have been tested. Good luck with your testing Derek and let us know how it goes.

• Posted

A professor at KIngs College suggested Spirolactone if the change in meds he proposed did not help....they didn't but the Spirolactone  was not proceded with. Every diuretic I have had gave me pain in the pelvic area and most greatly reduced my urine output.  At first I thought that they affected my prostate but after having most of my prostate removed by laser surgery it still happened.
    • Posted

Derek, as far as diuretics are concerned, have you ever been prescribed Indapamide? This was prescribed by my consultant yesterday after I pleaded with him to take me off Diltiazem due to swollen and congested ankles/legs and bowel changes - I'm assuming these side effects are down to the Diltiazem rather than the Losartan which I have also been taking for the last couple of months.  I haven't seen anyone referring to Indapamide so am just looking for others' experiences with this medication. 
    • Posted

I was on Indapamide Mrs O and don't remember any problems with it though it only reduced BP slightly. I was also on Ramipril10mg and Amlopidine at the same time, was never put on the others. 

Derek I have heard that men can have problems with their breasts as it can enlarge them on men. I have to say for me a larger chest is not a problem smile but I did have itchiness and discomfort for the first few months but it was worth it for me as it brought down my BP.

• Posted

I can't remember which BP med started breasts to grow before I stopped it. Later the alpha blocker Tamsulosin prescribed to help urine flow prior to my prostate operation certainly did. I stopped taking it when my wife said that I would soon need a training bra. Soon it went back to normal.

It is totally amazing the effects drugs can have.

In the small print of Losartan it say that it can make your toenails fall off.

• Posted

amsjo, thank you for your reply  which has been reassuring.  May not be sufficient for me if it doesn't have much effect on BP, especially since taking the Diltiazem away today.  I'm not starting the Indapamide for the next couple of months until after a holiday so that I can be well monitored with blood tests as I have just one kidney and CKD, but have been warned by the consultant that my BP will rise on just the one Losartan pill.  He would have preferred me to stay on the Diltiazem with Indapamide added to counteract the swelling caused by the Diltiazem.  It freaks me out to think of taking a pill to counteract the effects of another, so I'm afraid I wasn't a very accommodating patient!  I've tried both Ramipril and Amlodipine, both with unwanted side effects - I guess I've got another few to sample yet!
    • Posted

Urologists dont want to do surgery to cure BPH when they can give you Avodart and Tamsulosin. Years ago I tried one of the other alpha blockers and within a few days my heart rate was up to 140bpm. I was vibrating as I lay in bed.

I waited years for laser surgery to arrive here from America and then had to battle to get them to send me to another area health authority that did it.

• Posted

I have tried so many diuretics that their names are a blur. When I had my second laser prostate surgery last year they send me home with a catheter in.  I waited a few days before restarting the diuretic I had been taking. My output immediately stopped and nothing went into the leg bag for several hours until the affect started to wear off. That was proof positive on their effect on me.  
    • Posted

Sounds like a nasty experience Derek.  We do on occasion need such drugs and, in fact, many drugs can prove life-saving, but how I wish they would come up with some friendlier ones in some cases.  Stay well.
    • Posted

It's only on Forums like this that we hear of the side efects of drugs. Then we may be the minority but we don't really know that. At the Warfarin Clinic or waiting at hospitals I always speak to poeople waiting about their meds. Very few say that they are side effect free.

I used to think that the most complained of were Metformin and Thyroxine topping the list but Statins, Beta Blockers and Warfarin run them close. 

• Posted

Hi Mrs O - It didn't lower my blood pressure as it was my adrenal gland causing the problem leading to High BP so not sure if it works on straight forward hypertension, It realy is confusing with all these tablets. It seemed to be a slow release diuretic, so thankfully was not making me rush to the loo every 5 minutes! I have definately had side effects from the spirolactone, but it is far outweighed by the results and has settled a little more.

• Posted

At least it's reassuring to know that I might not be frequently rushing to the loo on the Indapamide - thank you, amsjo.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.